Liked: 6

Default Guy trying to sell me a FF with a rear wing. Not adding up

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first formula car and this fellow is trying to sell what he says is a 1997 Swift FF. However, the picture shows a rear wing. Also the engine is a Suzuki 1400cc engine bored to 1800cc. He acknowledges the engine is not compliant but I can’t figure out the rest.

Do you guys know what this is?

Liked: 601

Default What is it ?

Not a F/Ford.
    Looks like a British Hill Climb car.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Not a F/Ford.
    Looks like a British Hill Climb car.
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I want to get into formula Ford. I suspect this isn’t the right way to do it. Would you agree that I pass on the opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Ummm, maybe buy a car that fits into the actual FF class? A true FF can be raced in multiple venues; SCCA, local clubs, vintage (depending on age of car). This site has pretty much all the info you need to pick a good car, not to mention a lot of people with a huge amount of knowledge who are willing to share it.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    Ummm, maybe buy a car that fits into the actual FF class? A true FF can be raced in multiple venues; SCCA, local clubs, vintage (depending on age of car). This site has pretty much all the info you need to pick a good car, not to mention a lot of people with a huge amount of knowledge who are willing to share it.
    I’m with you for sure. That was the intent.

The ad says “1997 Swift FF”. It doesn’t look like a FF so I thought I’d make sure my heads on straight before doing anything. Since it isn’t a FF, I planned to pass unless it turned out to be a FA or FC or something else raced near me.

Since it’s not any of those things, I’ll pass.

Thanks for confirming that this isn’t a good option.

Liked: 1868

Whatever that thing is, it is not a Swift!

I found it. It’s a Euroswift Formula Renault modified for a motorcycle engine for hillclimbs. Hard pass.

Liked: 1397

Quote Originally Posted by brakerjw View Post
    I found it. It’s a Euroswift Formula Renault modified for a motorcycle engine for hillclimbs. Hard pass.
    Run away from this car. There is no way that you want this car.

Among other issues, you will need a bell housing, and engine and a transmission, plus some suspension bits to make this car a legal FF. Those will cost you more than double what I think this car is selling for. Even if you could rebuild this as a Euro Swift, that car was not all that strong a FF when it was new.

11. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Run away from this car. There is no way that you want this car.

Among other issues, you will need a bell housing, and engine and a transmission, plus some suspension bits to make this car a legal FF. Those will cost you more than double what I think this car is selling for. Even if you could rebuild this as a Euro Swift, that car was not all that strong a FF when it was new.
    Firstly, I commend you on seeking advice from arguably the largest assembly of pro and club racing knowledge, anywhere.

Secondly, hang around and you will find the car of your choice, and it will be as advertised. We are family here.

Regarding the car, as Steve said, RUN. Quick as a bunny now.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 06.25.21 at 6:18 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 597

Tell him you'll give him $500 to take it off his hands........and he can have the engine and wing after he takes them out/off,,,,,if he has a log book for the car, then offer him only $400

Liked: 14

$9500 price tag on this thing... Yikes...

Liked: 270

Ouch, what a mess - and I've actually DONE that, taken an actual legit legal Euroswift FF and added a wing, bodywork, and a bike motor to turn it into a P2.

This wouldn't even likely be a good start for that; I'd start as I did with my car, chop off everything behind the main hoop, only in this case to redo it properly. With that brace on the spine, can't even get the engine out... cute use of the Jr dragster hang-on fuel cell, that just hints at all of the countless systems that haven't been finished (and probably couldn't be, without starting over).

I'd suggest it might be worth a couple grand, IF you wanted to make a bike-powered FB or homebuilt P2 out of it, and would still take maybe $15-20k and 5 years or more to get on track safely and something approaching reliably...

Which of course is not your objective, so yeah, run far and fast...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

My suggestion would be to go to a couple of events near you and spend time in the paddock. This is where you want to end up anyways, right? Talk to people who race in the class you want to be in and ask if they know of any cars for sale. Cars trade hands all the time without ever being advertised.

The least you will do is learn something and end up meeting a lot of cool people.

The hunt is almost as much fun as the ride! Good Luck and Enjoy!

Andy

18. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

I agree with others. Keep looking. Formula Ford is super fun and hopefully you will have people to run with. You might want to go to your nearest track to see what people are running. Maybe there are several Club FF's running together. That would be ideal. If there are mostly current FF's, be prepared to spend a LOT more than $10,000.

But, an 1800cc hill climb race car seems pretty exciting. And I don't think the price is unreasonable at all (if you want something fast and cheap for hill climbs or autocross). That engine work probably wasn't cheap. I didn't look at the pictures too closely, but I didn't see anything too bad. The small fuel tank would only be good for maybe parking lot racing, though (not W2W - aka Wheel to Wheel - worthy).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 597

Run Forest !! Run !!!

Liked: 183

that is what is left of a euro swift. '92-'94, you can tell by the rear uprights and frame construction.

I saw this thing on here and Facebook, no way in hell it's worth what he is asking. I would pay more than $4k for it.

If anyone buys this project, I have a spare set of uprights and axles ready for ya.

Liked: 120

Default Great advice

Quote Originally Posted by triumph76 View Post
    My suggestion would be to go to a couple of events near you and spend time in the paddock. This is where you want to end up anyways, right? Talk to people who race in the class you want to be in and ask if they know of any cars for sale. Cars trade hands all the time without ever being advertised.

The least you will do is learn something and end up meeting a lot of cool people.

The hunt is almost as much fun as the ride! Good Luck and Enjoy!

Andy

Read the above, digest and staple it to your head.
    Welcome to Apexspeed and F1600
    KR.

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 235

The seller couldn't be .... Jon Lewis?
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

25. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 142

Would you agree that I pass on the opportunity?

big pass
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 1868

I want to get into formula Ford. I suspect this isn’t the right way to do it. Would you agree that I pass on the opportunity?

The best thing for you to do is purchase a complete cars that is currently running, and get a knowledgeable FF mechanic to look it over before buying it. Unless you are a genius mechanic, you have to realize that you know nothing or next to nothing about what it takes to keep all of the systems working correctly, and if you buy one that needs work, you will find that it is extremely easy to make a LOT of mistakes, which can be either costly to fix correctly, frustrating because whatever is wrong always breaks down at the race track (and not the shop!), and can be dangerous to your health and sanity.

28. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

Sent you a PM

Liked: 142

that's my old baby! First race car I ever owned!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    I've actually DONE that, taken an actual legit legal Euroswift FF and added a wing, bodywork, and a bike motor to turn it into a P2.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information