Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Default helping find some FV/FSV history

Hi guys,
    I am hoping to help an ex-racers daughter find some info/articles/pictures for her Dad. She had posted in the FV USA Facebook group, and I am trying here as well. Does anyone recognize the name/car or know what direction to go in?

Hello, I have a kinda odd request or if someone can point me in the right direction. My father used to race formula vee and super vee in the 70’s. He’s originally from the Williamsport pa area but I remember stories specifically racing at walkins glen and in Ohio. ( He stop racing around the time my oldest brother was born in the mid 70’s i believe). He said the guy who bought his vee was from Maryland or Virginia.
    He’s carried this old photo of one of his cars in his wallet ever since. I’d love to track down maybe some photos or clippings from these days for him. Is there a data base, historian or a direction someone can point me in? I could get some more info from him. I’m currently in Germany ans he’s stateside so it might take a day or two with our schedules. His name is James “jim” Jimmy” Morris
    Kristin Gonzales

Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

No clue except that the pic looks to me definitely to be an early (pre 1975 FSV) note the lack of wings. Any idea as to the make of the car in the pic?

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    No clue except that the pic looks to me definitely to be an early (pre 1975 FSV) note the lack of wings. Any idea as to the make of the car in the pic?
    Definitely agree it's an early car.... not sure of the make yet. She doesn't know much about it other than that picture, unfortunately.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default might be,

a Tui

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I think you are on to something. Check the TUI web site.

https://www.formulasupervee.com/tui.html

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Hi Matt,

When you first posted this question / image I too thought it was a Tui BH3 for a minute but after checking into it more I decided it wasn't. Back in the late 80's I co-owned a '73 BH3 Tui and autocrossed it extensively for several years. It was a monocoque chassis (rear bulkhead to front bulkhead) and the engine was a stressed member. Only the nose, small tail cover, and L/R cylinder head cooling scoops were fiberglass (very distinguishable/unique to all Tui's.) Hard to tell from your old image, but the car looks like it has a frame and fiberglass body sections (not fitting well.) The body lines are similar but nothing matches any images of my old Tui. I can scan and email you some images if needed.

Good luck with your search and I hope everyone is heathy and doing well at Lycoming.

Craig

Liked: 942

Default Club/Region Historian

I suggest you check with the region historians if available. At minimum there should be race results of many races in period.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 47

Default I Think It Is....

A Crossle 24F. I believe that it was their only dedicated Super Vee (as opposed to an adaptation of a FF). I also think they made barely a handful of them (4-5?). I worked on one of those back in the 80's.

Liked: 1108

I have a longtime friend who ran what we thought was the only Crossle S/V, in 1982. I believe it was called a 35V and was based on a 34F Formula Ford.

The car per the thread looks like a Tui to me, but the nose looks a little too flat and long — so am not certain enough to claim that.
    Last edited by E1pix; 07.03.21 at 9:17 AM.

Liked: 58

Default Source for SCCA Info

The following link to IMRRC (International Motor Racing Research Center) may provide a way to find info on a specific driver and/or car. They do have literally tons of SCCA archives including some regional newsletters. They also have publications like Autoweek/Competition Press where they might find a "For Sale" ad, with the father's name as the search term, to reveal info on the car.

https://www.racingarchives.org/the-c...rica-archives/

Try contacting them via phone or email for how to proceed with a specific search topic.

Lee

Liked: 66

Default Fsv

Because of the rounded side panels it reminds me of a Beach FSV....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

could it be a Winkleman? they had that fat look

Thread Information