Thread: New to me D13

Liked: 0

Default New to me D13

I'm going to need help/advice with my latest project. With the opening of a track (Ozark International Raceway) less than an hour from my home I recently purchased this Caldwell D13 for track days, autocross and hill climbs. As you can see from the pictures it is no where near SCCA Formula Vee specs and with the exception of bringing it up to current safety standards I intend on leaving it as is. My open wheel racing experience is limited to dirt ovals and that was in the mid 60's so a drivers school is in my future. I'm hoping to have it track ready by next spring. About the car, oral history I got was that it was originally on the east coast then went to 2 different owners in the mid-west before I acquired it. No log books, the data plate is missing and I could not find an inspectors stamp on the rollbar.

The first bit of advice needed is running the fuel lines. The "Moon Eyes" keg fuel tank is being replaced with an ATL FC140 fuel cell. Plan on running the supply line from the cell to the firewall and use a bulkhead fitting with a barb fitting for the line going to the fuel pump. Any suggestion where to route the vent line? I do better with pictures virus text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2370[1].jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	98360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2368[1].jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	98358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2369[1].jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	98359  

Liked: 1403

Before you spend the money on the ATL fuel cell, mock one up and see how you fit.

At least in the Zink and Citation FV's and FF, the ATL mover the driver forward and has a more errect seating position. This in turn necessitates the the main roll hoop be changed. the driver also looses significant cockpit space because he is not closer to the dash.

From a safety stand point, you head/helmet should be as close to the vertical plane of the main hoop. This provides maximum protection and the forward braces improve safety by having your head partially protected by the side braces.

The final down side of repositioning the driver is that it will decrease the performance of the car because of the higher CG from the new position of the driver's upper body.

ATL can make a cell that will work but it is more expensive. There are other fuel cell makers but again because this is not a "production cell" design it will cost more.

The trick is to have the cell wid enough at the top so that the filler and the vents are on the sides of the call and have the upper edge of the cell curved so the drivers shoulders can tough the fire wall. The filler and the vent are in "wings that place them under the drivers arms.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Before you spend the money on the ATL fuel cell, mock one up and see how you fit.

At least in the Zink and Citation FV's and FF, the ATL mover the driver forward and has a more errect seating position. This in turn necessitates the the main roll hoop be changed. the driver also looses significant cockpit space because he is not closer to the dash.

From a safety stand point, you head/helmet should be as close to the vertical plane of the main hoop. This provides maximum protection and the forward braces improve safety by having your head partially protected by the side braces.

The final down side of repositioning the driver is that it will decrease the performance of the car because of the higher CG from the new position of the driver's upper body.

ATL can make a cell that will work but it is more expensive. There are other fuel cell makers but again because this is not a "production cell" design it will cost more.

The trick is to have the cell wid enough at the top so that the filler and the vents are on the sides of the call and have the upper edge of the cell curved so the drivers shoulders can tough the fire wall. The filler and the vent are in "wings that place them under the drivers arms.
    Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately the spares that came with the car included a cover for the FC140 cell and I was able to do a mockup prior to purchasing an expensive to me part. Seating position is unchanged with about an inch clearance between the back of the seat pan and the cell cover.

Liked: 58

Default D-13

Typically the vent line will run down the left side of the roll bar ( driver's left) and below the frame.

Looking at the rear suspension, there is a suspension piece missing- a cross link between the two shocks ( unless I can not see it with my old eyes)Those bolts that hold the droop limiters at the top should have a cross link from one side to the other, parallel to the other cross link. This supports the uprights, keeps them from twisting, and supports the overall rear suspension.
    It should have two 1/2" rod ends and the bar could be aluminum or steel. Once installed, the bar is shortened with the rod ends to create a slight inward pull on the uprights.
    Looking at the picture, it might be an issue with one of the exhaust pipes, but that can be easy solved.
    Have fun with the car.

Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com
    fvraceri@cox.net

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
    I'm going to need help/advice with my latest project. With the opening of a track (Ozark International Raceway) less than an hour from my home I recently purchased this Caldwell D13 for track days, autocross and hill climbs. As you can see from the pictures it is no where near SCCA Formula Vee specs and with the exception of bringing it up to current safety standards I intend on leaving it as is. My open wheel racing experience is limited to dirt ovals and that was in the mid 60's so a drivers school is in my future. I'm hoping to have it track ready by next spring. About the car, oral history I got was that it was originally on the east coast then went to 2 different owners in the mid-west before I acquired it. No log books, the data plate is missing and I could not find an inspectors stamp on the rollbar.

The first bit of advice needed is running the fuel lines. The "Moon Eyes" keg fuel tank is being replaced with an ATL FC140 fuel cell. Plan on running the supply line from the cell to the firewall and use a bulkhead fitting with a barb fitting for the line going to the fuel pump. Any suggestion where to route the vent line? I do better with pictures virus text.

Thread Information