Liked: 6

Default Hewland Hub Question

We are having a Hewland Mk4 5-speed built. The guy who is building it has come across some mismatched parts and he is looking around to figure out what is mismatched.

He said that on the 1-2 hub for a 5 speed, the machined portion of it seems too short. He showed me that the length allows for a 1/2” width gear and a 9/16” width gear. I says he’d prefer to fit two 9/16” gears rather than find some narrow gears that he says are very rare. So he is hoping to find that there is a longer 1-2 hub for Mk4 5-speeds.

Is there a longer 1-2 hub? Does anyone have a Mk4-6 1-2 hub available to measure to let me know how tall it is, and how long the machined portion is?

Or are we relegated to narrower gears?

Liked: 106

I only have a 4spd MK4, so here is the total length of that reverse/1st hub. Sorry, can't help if there are other options, or what the machined length for 1st should be.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK4_hub.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	98325  
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Thread Information