Liked: 39

Default fuel sample port

For those of you using a Schrader valve setup to be able to provide a fuel sample, do you use a tire-size Schrader valve or a different size? If a tire size, how do you depress the core to release the fuel, without making a fuel mess?
    Thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Valve

I use a valve from a GM fuel rail, not cheap but rated to handle fuel. Use the hose from the fuel pressure gauge used to check the pressure from the valve with the gauge removed.

Of course no one has ever asked me for a fuel sample.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    Of course no one has ever asked me for a fuel sample.
    This!

I hate mine because it just seems like a safety liability.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

This is seemed like the best option to me since a 1/4" hose is easily attached if a sample is ever needed. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=3447

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    This is seemed like the best option to me since a 1/4" hose is easily attached if a sample is ever needed. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=3447
    that is exactly what I have. Works fine but I still hate the whole thing.

Liked: 3279

Default This is what I use to depress the Schrader valve...

Quote Originally Posted by cgscgs View Post
    For those of you using a Schrader valve setup to be able to provide a fuel sample, do you use a tire-size Schrader valve or a different size? If a tire size, how do you depress the core to release the fuel, without making a fuel mess?
    Thanks
    ...on my Zetec fuel rail:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=7366

That could also be used for pressurizing accumulators or shocks.

With this, one caps the tire-sized Schrader valve with a metal cap when not sampling fuel, so no chance of accidental leakage.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.30.21 at 10:39 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 133

I use a Jiffy-tite socket fitting in a T fitting in the fuel line. Jiffy-tite Quick-Connect Self-Sealing Fluid Fittings | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
    With a matching jiffy-tite plug in a clear hose, I could use it for a fuel sample but I do use it to drain the fuel cell after a session.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Liked: 597

So that the Stewards could play with their new fuel testers years ago when the rules were first written.....at random they flagged in every fifth car coming in at the end of a session.....well I was one of those flagged. I was told I was not going to get in any trouble no matter what they found because they simply wanted to gain knowledge of the testing process....but they wanted a sample right then and there. I refused saying there was no way I was going to break open a fuel line on a hot car even though there was someone standing there with a fire extinguisher. I think they were a little surprised by that but they did not press the issue. We all agreed to let the car sit and cool right there at impound until I was ready.......a half hour later I let them have their fun but I insisted also that I was the one to open the port while they watched me collect their sample. No problem.
    Ever since the only deal with a fuel port is someone asking to see it during the Annual Tech Inspection and maybe one rare time to show it to an Inspector at impound at the end of a SARRC race as one of the random things they check. I've never been asked for a fuel sample since, never seen anyone else asked nor seen anyone protest someone else about fuel such that then a sample was taken.

Liked: 110

I agree with farrout48 who said

"I use a Jiffy-tite socket fitting in a T fitting in the fuel line. Jiffy-tite Quick-Connect Self-Sealing Fluid Fittings | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
    With a matching jiffy-tite plug in a clear hose, I could use it for a fuel sample but I do use it to drain the fuel cell after a session."

I use Jiffy-tite 31406 and 32406. They are dash 6 male fittings so you also need -6 to 5/16" fuel hose fittings. I do not use a T fitting, just put them in line (see below for why).

They are a dry break so no fuel gets sprayed around, even if hot. Buy the female fitting for the exit from the fuel pump and then put the male onto the line going to the carb. Buy a second male fitting and attach to a length of fuel line that can go into a bottle for fuel checks (or for emptying the tank etc).

If you want to check fuel bowl levels, you should ideally run the motor and then disconnect the fuel line before taking the top off the carb. With a dry break, you simply break the line. Too simple.

Liked: 3279

Default Comment on using any quick-release fitting

Maybe it's my compulsive nature, but I would not be confident in using any spring-loaded fitting for a fuel-sampling port, any more than I would rely only on the spring-loaded valve core to not slowly leak air on a tire, either on my racecar or street vehicles. I know they are "usually" reliable, but they do occasionally leak.

I always run valve caps on my race tires during a race for that reason. During practice or qualifying, I leave them off for quicker tire pressure checks, but during a race I want absolutely no chance of leakage.

The same goes for my comment on the sampling port. So I think a fitting with a positive seal similar to what I use on my racecar is safer with much less chance of any fuel leakage.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 83

Default I'm with Dave

I used a -6 cap on a port on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator.
    Rules allow you to provide your own tool to open the port
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 270

I use the linked Pegasus fitting, screwed into a tee where my fuel pressure sender is. I have had to use it - at the Runoffs, of course. Though I've seen the FE guys getting tapped all the time to pee in a cup at regular Majors, even - joys of being in a spec class!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    .......it just seems like a safety liability.
    Yep
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information