Liked: 97

Default Where to run pre 2000 FC cars in Vintage?

Hello Everyone,
    What organizations allow pre 2000 FF2000 or FC cars to race in Vintage race events?
    I have a person that might like to do that so I went looking.
    I thought many did but I haven't found very many.
    All suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Skip

Liked: 1115

I believe SVRA will let you run with the FAs/F5000s/F1s/etc.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 324

Knowing what region of the U.S. this person is wanting to run a car in would help with being able to make recommendations.

Liked: 97

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    Knowing what region of the U.S. this person is wanting to run a car in would help with being able to make recommendations.
    The east coast, based out of Florida for this year.
    I did read SVRA more comp;et;y after I wrote the first post and they seem to have the most obvious accessibility.
    Thanks!!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

I'm based in Texas and race my "88 Reynard with CVAR. They permit FCs up to 1994. Although, I race against several '95 Van Diemens, as apparently the chassis and suspension were no changed from '94.

I also have run SVRA at COTA. The place me in wings and slicks group with FAs, Indy Lights and F1. I've got nothing for them.

I've also run with HSR and they also place you in modern wings and slicks. Never know what will show up.

This year, actually this week, several of us from Houston are trying FRP version of Classic FF2000 at Barber. They have welcomed us to run with the modern FF2000 (FCs) in their Pro series. Our entries score no points toward their Championship. I suspect that the Pros will run away from us and we will have our Classic battle. We certainly don't want to interfere with their race and I hope that we are fast enough to not be lapped toward the end. I also suspect that these guys may race with a different mindset than vintage rules allow. So, a greater risk for us. Nothing ventured, nothing gained; so, we will see.

Hope this helps.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by jtaphorn View Post
    I'm based in Texas and race my "88 Reynard with CVAR. They permit FCs up to 1994. Although, I race against several '95 Van Diemens, as apparently the chassis and suspension were no changed from '94.

I also have run SVRA at COTA. The place me in wings and slicks group with FAs, Indy Lights and F1. I've got nothing for them.

I've also run with HSR and they also place you in modern wings and slicks. Never know what will show up.

This year, actually this week, several of us from Houston are trying FRP version of Classic FF2000 at Barber. They have welcomed us to run with the modern FF2000 (FCs) in their Pro series. Our entries score no points toward their Championship. I suspect that the Pros will run away from us and we will have our Classic battle. We certainly don't want to interfere with their race and I hope that we are fast enough to not be lapped toward the end. I also suspect that these guys may race with a different mindset than vintage rules allow. So, a greater risk for us. Nothing ventured, nothing gained; so, we will see.

Hope this helps.
    Having not run but watched a big FRP event (MidOhio this year) I think you will find FRP to be at least no more risky than most vintage groups and maybe better. I too was intimidated by the “Pro” thing bit all I saw was good respectful racing, a mellow paddock, and frankly, minimal in track issues.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Eric, thanks for sharing your experience with FRP. We are looking forward to meeting the competitors and seeing the modern FCs at Barber.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

VARA has run them since 2004 on the west coast.

Before i ran with the SE area SCCA guys when I moved back east, I looked into VRG and one other club back there, and was turned down. Suggest you lean on those clubs a bit. When vintage allowed FFs they were only 10 years old.

I usually get dismayed at arbitrary rule cutoff dates for cars rather than describing the technology leaps as the cutoffs. There's no reason to not allow up to 96 Van Diemens for instance - the monoshock is not really an advantage. 97s, with the longer wheelbase and the late-model suspension, are another matter.

When I wrote the original FC rules for VARA we had FC1 and FC2. FC1 was rocker cars, FC2 was for push/pullrod cars. We never really addressed how to handle an older car with uprated aero, and ewe didn't want to force people to backdate wings and such where the old designs are hard to come by. We just never had enough of the older cars.

However, in the past three months we have three new drivers with FC1 cars, including the guy that bought Purple Frog's Jerimiah Reynard from Troy Shooter, another guy with a fairly rare 89 SE-3, and an even rarer mid-80s Chevron.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

Default Try VDCA in the East / South East

I have run my 83/84 Reynard FC (rocker arm chassis) with VDCA at Roebling and VIR as a Formula "Libre". Allowed to remain on slicks, no diffusers, and grouped with other wings and sports racers. On split starts, with S2000's (also on slicks). Contact Mike Jackson or Doug Meis with VDCA / web site https://www.vintagedrive.com
    Joe Henslee

Liked: 610

Default Vintage F2000

Check out VSCDA. I know they have run events at Elkhart Lake.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Thread Information