Thread: Radio Setup

Liked: 0

Default Radio Setup

Good afternoon all!

Sorry if this topic has been brought up here before - I had a search but couldn't find anything really similar, on here or the 'net in general.

I'm looking into adding a radio system to my Formula Ford and I'm a little bit confused by my options and how it all works.

To start with; my helmet currently has an IMSA style kit installed in it, from a few years back when I ran with a team - https://www.racingradios.com/collect...elmet-kit-coil

The goal, really, is to have clear, private communications from pit to driver (and vice versa) that works the whole way around the track. Cheaper the better, too. I would like push-to-talk (PTT), especially on the crew side and but ideally on the driver's side too. Lastly, I would also ideally like others to be able to listen in (such as any family supporters at the track!), if I give them access - but this is also not required, just a desirable.

The couple of options I can think of are to go with a standard complete kit which includes two two-way radios, the specific car harness for the radio I choose, push-to-talk button, antenna, and a headset for the crew which also incorporates the connector for the radio of choice (sort of like this one https://www.racingradios.com/product...-system-cp100d). However, I am sceptical for a few reasons. Firstly, when I ran with the team, we simply could never get the radio to work properly at a distance further than leaving the pits for whatever reason. In addition, I don't want all my comms to be broadcast publicly or have to battle for interference, but don't want to pay for a license or anything like that. Lastly... it can get pretty expensive, and it'd especially suck if it didn't end up working properly!

The other option I was considering was somehow building a mobile phone system, and potentially using a VoIP service (or a standard voice call). Of course, this relies on phone service, but I cannot think of a track I visit that doesn't have this. However, I have no idea how I'd be able to set this up in the car and also utilise PTT. I could mount a phone in the cockpit and connect my helmet directly to it using an adapter such as this (I think!) - https://www.ruggedradios.com/product...-adapter-cable - but then I wouldn't have PTT in the car. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this topic - with all the different proprietary connectors and whatnot, and no info that I can really find on the 'net, it's rather challenging to figure out what the best route is!

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Call Toto or Evan at Speedcom
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Mainn View Post

The couple of options I can think of are to go with a standard complete kit which includes two two-way radios, the specific car harness for the radio I choose, push-to-talk button, antenna, and a headset for the crew which also incorporates the connector for the radio of choice (sort of like this one https://www.racingradios.com/product...-system-cp100d). However, I am sceptical for a few reasons. Firstly, when I ran with the team, we simply could never get the radio to work properly at a distance further than leaving the pits for whatever reason. In addition, I don't want all my comms to be broadcast publicly or have to battle for interference, but don't want to pay for a license or anything like that. Lastly... it can get pretty expensive, and it'd especially suck if it didn't end up working properly!
    This is absolutely what you want. You need to get a proper system with proper antenna. We get clear private communication from the pits to Canada Corner at Road America, for example, with our digital Motorola radios. But you need to treat antennas, cables, headsets, etc as consumables. Find someone with formula car experience, bite the bullet, and spend the money. Once you have a good system working, you can replentish your consumables with cheaper parts from eBay or Amazon, if you choose to.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 298

Just another option, check with SRC Sampson Racing Communications in CA, 866-396-7231. My original system from way back worked good for the day but the one radio wouldn't work after sitting in the box for years. so I updated to a new digital system last year but didn't get it in the car for the debut last year. We did try them with my wife driving in her mini van and she was over 5 miles away before we lost communication and I live in the mountains of central PA.

Ed

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Can you find a radio vendor in OZ? The frequency allocations and the available equipment may be totally different there. No doubt it will be considerably more expensive.

In talking with the US guys make sure you mention your location and see if they have anything certified for Australia. If they do, you're golden.

When the Indycar circus went there years ago (and F1 as well) there was probably a temporary waiver put in place - nobody is going to buy a completely different radio system for one weekend. Or, maybe the frequency allocations overlap as they do in standard UHF/VHF.

That's for analog. Digital might be a whole different story.

Thread Information