Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default DYKEM Cross-Check Torque Seal Tamper-Proof Indicator Paste

Gents;

After a bazillion military preflight inspections, I adopted the practice of slippage marks on all critical fasteners. But what I was using was thick, and hard to lay a nice bead.

The value: assemble once, torque once, apply slippage mark, visual inspections thereafter.

Then my research led me to DYKEM Cross-Check Torque Seal Tamper-Proof Indicator Paste. Anyone use this, or have a better alternative?
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 05.08.21 at 6:34 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 482

I use that exact stuff pretty religiously. But it is kinda gloopy. I can’t get a nice stripe but I get a workable mark.

I haven’t tried it but it looks like it would glow under a UV black light. That would be nice...

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1871

How about a simple paint pen?

5. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Default Oooo!

It does glow!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 703

The Dykem product that Rick is talking about is a paste that cures to a brittle film so if the bolt moves it actually cracks.

Rick, let me know what color you want and I'll hook you up.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 942

We've used it at work for marking torqued fasteners on pressure vessels and refinery pumps. It works great.

For my car, I use a tire paint pen from the local auto supply.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 52

I've used Vibra-Tite Viz-Torque. It comes in a little tube, and can make about a 2mm line/bead. Hard to go thinner and it does tend to be bubbly and sometimes clumpy. It's very similar to Torque Seal I've seen in industrial applications.

But, I've pretty much reverted to fine paint pens. For our use, we don't need the anti-tamper (cracking, crumbling) feature, just the movement indicator.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 270

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    ...But, I've pretty much reverted to fine paint pens. For our use, we don't need the anti-tamper (cracking, crumbling) feature, just the movement indicator.
    This, just using the paint pen too...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    This, just using the paint pen too...
    Odd thing is, I've been teased about the fastener paint for years. I guess some folks never have to worry about parts falling off. Between lockwire and paint on aircraft assemblies I always thought it was a simple solution.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Odd thing is, I've been teased about the fastener paint for years. I guess some folks never have to worry about parts falling off. Between lockwire and paint on aircraft assemblies I always thought it was a simple solution.
    Seconded.

A little paint pen across the components makes checking things, so much easier.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Gents;

Never heard of paint pens. Although I googled it and had voluminous search results, way too many to make an educated guess as to which is best. Recommendations?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 1871

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...navid=12103551

Also, fingernail polish will work - it is a lacquer paint after all.

I've been thoroughly castigated by another former formula car racer for using a paint pen on my car and my teammate's...

I did make sure to bring to his attention the loose locknut I noticed on his son's FC when I was visting, without any smug "I told you so" - just glad to help avoid a wreck or worse.

I too have in fact been saved by the paint marks, as my tech inspector noticed a pair of misaligned marks during an inspection at the track and brought it to my attention. Indeed, though I wouldn't necessarily trust any member of my crew to torque every bolt on my car - lots more training underway - they are ALL qualified (and encouraged!) to look over the car every time between sessions to look for anything coming loose...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

Never heard of paint pens. Although I googled it and had voluminous search results, way too many to make an educated guess as to which is best. Recommendations?
    Any local art supply store will stock a jillion of these. $7 later and you can go all acrylic purple on your car's fasteners (I use fluorescent pink because its easy to see).

bt

I've been getting them from the local hardware store, but not all colors have worked well; white, yellow, and red are great but blue and green not so visible except on light surfaces. Art store is an excellent suggestion, will have to check that out.

I also alternate colors between weekends, so I know what's been RECENTLY torque vs. not. Some things need the routine checks, some are more annual...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2

Liked: 703

White or yellow paint pens are great for marking tires, too.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Thread Information