Liked: 12

Default Pre Race & Pre Session Checklists

I am getting ready for my first event in a vee at the end of the month. With my other cars I have checklists for the week before the race and for between sessions. Some of the items are things which have burned me in the past and some have burned others. Collective wisdom I guess.

This vee thing is a strange and wonderful little machine. I am not familiar enough with it yet to feel like I am ready to put it in the trailer.

What are some of the things y'all check before the race and between sessions? My goal is to stay safe and maximize track time.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

--Nate

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I am sure that others will chime in with more, but the two items at the top of your list must be add fuel and add oil. FV engines use oil! No kidding. So you need to learn how to properly check and set the oil level. You need to run the engine to fill all galleries, lines, filters, coolers, etc ..... then check the oil level. Add oil, then repeat the checking process. You want the max that won't blow out, so if you don't have to empty some from your catch can after every session, then you should add more. Most people are 3/16 to 1/4" above the full mark on the stock dipstick, but every engine has it's own personality when it comes to oil level.

I made it sound complicated, but is very basic. In terms of avoiding engine repair, it is the most important thing you can do. People that don't learn this process absolutely have more engine costs. Do it every session! And disregard any wise friends that tell you that you are robbing HP with too much oil.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Nut and bolt it. Start at one end and check every nut and bolt by working your way to the other end. It is surprising how many work their way loose.
    Graham

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Gto

Easy to remember between sessions...

Gas - Enough in the car for the upcoming session?
    Tires - Lug nuts tight and close to the right pressures?
    Oil - Is there enough in the engine/oil tank?

Get your gear on and go.

Everything else should be done before you get to the track or after you get home.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Hi,

PM me your email and I will send you over some checklists.

ChrisZ

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 92

Other items from my checklists...

Between race weekends
    - clean oil residue, check frame, mounts for cracks
    -check all bolts and electrical connectors for tightness
    -check all oil levels
    -check valve lash
    -spindle and rear drums for visible cracks
    -check for play in kingpins, rear wheels/axles
    -adjust brakes, rotate or flip shoes and tires as needed
    -check throttle cable and springs
    -perform any "to do" items written down on previous weekend's between sessions checklist
    -check, clean, make sure driver suit, helmet, arm restrainst,log book, etc is packed
    -inspect trailer, tow vehicle and pit bike

Between sessions
    -top off oils and fuel
    - Tire pressure
    - lug nut torque and spindle bolt check
    -check bodywork fasteners
    -charge all batteries, devices
    - Reapply tear offs to helmet
    - once a day check brake adjustment
    -eat/hydrate

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 225

Default Warning:potential thread drift

Sorry to maybe make this thread drift off topic but do I remember from years ago that FV engines needed valve lash checked/adjusted between sessions? I seem to recall seeing this as a routine maintenance item 20 or more years ago. I’ve always been FF and FC and I am curious and genuinely would like to know if this was a real thing or whether I made it up from thin air?

thanks
    John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Sorry to maybe make this thread drift off topic but do I remember from years ago that FV engines needed valve lash checked/adjusted between sessions? I seem to recall seeing this as a routine maintenance item 20 or more years ago. I’ve always been FF and FC and I am curious and genuinely would like to know if this was a real thing or whether I made it up from thin air?

thanks
    John
    On a fresh engine I might check it 1/2 through first race weekend. After that usually check every race but admit I have gone 2 weekends if no overdrevs or overheating. With the springs we run now, very little float so no slamming of seats.

note. I usually shift at 6400 and will go to 6700 to stretch a gear.

most times I find only one valve out per adjustment and usually less that .001.

ymmv.

ChrisZ

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 146

And don’t forget some pre race checking on the trailer. You cant race if you cant get there.

Wheel bearings, tyres, electrics, etc.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post

thanks
    John
    It should be done dead cold, so unless you have a problem, It generally gets done no more than once a day, usually first thing in the day. It probably gets done more than necessary because it is so easy to do on these engines in these cars.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

although this is specific to mid 90s VD FC, and folks might think there are a couple of things that need addressing, here's what I've been using for more than 10 years:

Total car checklist.pdf

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    although this is specific to mid 90s VD FC, and folks might think there are a couple of things that need addressing, here's what I've been using for more than 10 years:

Total car checklist.pdf
    The End of Day list is noted.

Liked: 12

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I needed! Two weeks till Mid-Ohio, I can't wait.

Cheers,

Nate

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

First-plug in your battery charger. Also set any of your other cameras and loggers to charge. Saw a driver at VIR run out of electricity at race time the other week that firmly planted that at the front of my mind!

Examine your rear axle nuts. Be sure to have the special tools to torque them properly-don't trust an air tool.

Tire pressures last to compensate for weather changes. I put my gauge on my seat so it is the final thing I do.

Everything else mentioned above-I can't argue with any of that.

Use a physical list-mine is laminated so I can check off with a dry erase marker. Your mind will be scattered and you'll want to keep up with what has been done.

Don't stop in the middle of a procedure! I got distracted once, left a bolt untorqued, finished 2nd instead of 1st (-4 points), and later lost the SARRC championship by two points. I'll never forget that lesson.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information