Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default FRP F1600 Mid-Ohio April 30 - May 2

There were 22 entries in 2020. There are 20 and counting with 16 days to go this year. Quality competition ..... looks like all should be on the lead lap after 25 mins ...... barring misadventure. Still time for others to join the fun. If you are not up for the F1600 Series, then come and support RCFFS.

The FRP events at Mid-Ohio and PIRC are just great events for formula car racers from FV, through CF, FF, F1600, F2000, F1000 and FA. If you have a race car in any of these classes, then treat yourself, and visit www.formularacepromotions.com for info to help you be there.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 127

Up to 21 entries and counting! Very stout field, looking forward to the challenge as always
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Likely a couple more coming... This will be fun. Overall entries above 74 with more in the offing.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 65

We’re bringing one of our Pipers with Ayrton Houk driving. This will be Ayrton’s first FRP event. Looking forward to it. Should be a heck of a race with a big F1600 field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradHayesRacing.com

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Up to 24 F1600 entries...Ye Haw! Over 100 total entries for the weekend.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

All good drivers, cars, and teams!

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

Default Mid Ohio Test

Is anybody going to the test and tune tomorrow at Mid Ohio?

Liked: 99

If any Pro Teams need crew support for this event please reach out to me. I am interested

PM or bassracer at gmail dot com
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Looks like an outstanding weekend with 40+ F1600s and FFs spread over the 2 groups.
    Weather cooperating too!

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Default 26 cars, most within 2 seconds per lap!

It is not an exaggeration to say that this may be the best quality and quantity field that the F1600 series has ever had. In terms of quality, it compared to 2015 when we had Scott Andrews, Jordan Kane, Kyle Kirkwood, Robert Megennis, Parker Chase, Skylar Robinson, Neil Verhagan, Cameron Das, Michai Stephens, and Jim Gaughary all do events. There may be as many as ten from this weekends group who are currently active in RTI (Road to Indy), or will be in the next few years.

While I am very proud of all my team and crew, it was certainly a win-win event for our formula car community. I hope this is a turning point. The PIRC Hoosier Super Tour event certainly hurt the FVCC car count, but every group had a decent field of cars with great racing. I expect PIRC in June to be very good as well as it has become the other FRP showcase event.

I encourage everyone with a formula class that fits within the FRP class structure to come to Barber on May 20-23, and future events.

Qualifying
    https://mcusercontent.com/f2006316d9..._penalties.pdf

Race 1
    https://mcusercontent.com/f2006316d9...Results.07.pdf

Race 2
    https://mcusercontent.com/f2006316d9...Results.04.pdf

Race 3
    https://mcusercontent.com/f2006316d9...Results.04.pdf

28 Entries. One broke down in travel. One broke in Friday practice. 26 ran all weekend.
    And missing regulars Petzko, Oseth, and Schweitz.
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.03.21 at 10:29 AM.

17. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

Default F1600 is Back!

The entire FRP Mid-Ohio event was great, some of the largest fields seen in a while in multiple classes. My wish of seeing a 30 car F1600 field was almost fulfilled in one weekend! In the end, 26 cars showed up and everyone had someone to race against.

The field was also stacked with a handful of skillful drivers:

Simon Sikes
    Nicholas d'Orlando
    Me
    Hugh Esterson
    Will Holtz
    Axe Kametches
    Kyle Burton August
    Joey Brienza
    Billy Frazer
    Aryton Houk
    David Livingston
    Joe Colassaco
    Scott Rubenzer
    Chris Horan
    Jeff Bartz
    Etc etc.....

The list goes on and on

Race Report from my perspective:

Race 1: After a bad qualifying, I start 16th (yes the field is that good) and work my way up to 9th in 1 lap. For half the race I battle for 4th with Will Holtz and Billy Frazer (NZ F1600 champ, 3rd in TRS championship and current MRTI driver with Exclusive Autosport). After some indecision and good defense by Will and Billy, I finish in 6th.

Race 2: I start 3rd and battle for 2nd with d'Orlando for almost half the race, while Simon pulls away. Pace car comes out, last 5 laps me and d'Orlando hang on to Simon and try to challenge him for the win. We all throw in down into madness and try to keep it clean as possible (we were already warned in drivers meeting no 3 wide). Simon wins, d'Orlando 2nd, I come 3rd.

Race 3: Green flag waves, I'm 4th and pass Esterson on the outside at the start. At this point everyone is driving aggressive as it is the last race of the weekend. My throttle gets stuck about 1/2 open at around lap 2, I dial in more rear break bias to compensate. I'm really nervous at this point and try to hold on to 3rd, me and Billy Frazer battle it out for most of the race. BTW banging wheels throughout the corners when your car is accelerating and you can't do anything about it, is the scariest thing I've done. We almost wrecked bad one time. There's about 6 laps to go and I'm praying for it to be over, I can't even shift without grinding every gear at this point. With 5 laps remaining, I try to shift to fourth gear and the teeth break and is rattling around in the box, ending my race.

Jon
    Last edited by Jonathan Lee; 09.05.23 at 4:04 PM.

19. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 65

Nice summary Jonathan. It was good to meet you this weekend. You ran strong all weekend! And as you said it was awesome seeing a huge field all running so close in lap times from front to back. I think I looked at one race grid, and 1-15 were within 1 second!! Wow. And the races were close, aggressive, but still clean for the most part. We had a blast. Our driver learned a ton racing with the best of the best. Looking forward to getting back to another FRP event before the season ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradHayesRacing.com

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default go for it!

Single car team taking it to the multicar teams. You and your Dad are living the dream. Best of luck all season, and thanks for the report.

steve

23. The following 3 users liked this post:

I posted my Race 1 video to YouTube. Pace dropped off with around 5 laps to go due to a cracked rear anti-roll bar, but still lots of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_92_wtPWag
    Will Velkoff

25. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 830

Will... enjoyed your video .. however, I might suggest that you need a better MOUNT. Your camera needs to be attached to the chassis with a ROCK SOLID hard mount. Years ago, when we first started using a camera, I always thought that I needed some padding or something to isolate the camera from frame vibration. After a couple YEARS of trying, I finally decided to try a solid mount to the frame. It worked perfectly and now, 25 years later, it still does.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Hey Steve, what's interesting is when I watch the raw video on my computer, it doesn't have that shakiness to it, but it is definitely noticeable when uploaded to YouTube. It is an old ReplayXD1080 camera with a solid mount, but I had to take a piece of rubber coolant hose to build up the diameter of the roll bar to get it to tighten down properly. That could be why it looks a little shaky.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Your camera needs to be attached to the chassis with a ROCK SOLID hard mount.
    My experience with the Replay cameras has been the opposite. When attached directly to my roll hoop the video came out wavy like Will's. When I attached it to the engine cover or cockpit side panel, the waves were eliminated. It seemed that the fiberglass bodywork provided just enough insulation from the engine vibration but was still solid enough to get a good picture.
    My old Gopro was the opposite. I suppose it depends on the camera.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information