Liked: 10

Default Oil Filter Orientation, Horizontal vs Vertical

Thought this was an easy question, but after hours of internet searching, zip....so asking the Apex Speed community.

Is there any reason to choose Horizontal over Vertical orientation of a remote Oil Filter. My Crossle 32F came with a horizontal configuration, but thinking vertical would make more sense when changing filters. The only thing I can think is that the horizontal mount allowed the lowest possible placement, not sure why this would matter???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Buff

Liked: 942

My Crossle is horizontal as well. I think the best method is the filter vertical with the filter holder on top. The filter is almost completely self venting and always has most its oil when the engine is stopped.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3279

Default My (Zetec) oil filter location

Mine is horizontal - once the system is primed (pressure seen on gauge) orientation usually makes little difference unless the filter is mounted higher than the rest of the oil supply system. Photo below:
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 10

Dan, Dave,

Thanks for your fast responses, along with a few locals, so far Horizontal is batting 1000.
    Guess I will keep it simple and stick with what works,

Liked: 482

Default Fwiw

...I have found one of these flexible funnels useful for draining things that have awkward access/no room for traditional catch:

https://www.amazon.com/Holtrent-Flex...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

In a perfect world it would be accessible and vertical, spinning off down, so you could change the filter with minimal mess, and reinstall it full of clean oil. Being accessible can conflict with being in the way, or being exposed when on track, and oil lines may need more fittings, or more restrictive fittings. I would still strive for vertical, spinning off down, if I could.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    In a perfect world it would be accessible and vertical, spinning off down, so you could change the filter with minimal mess, and reinstall it full of clean oil. Being accessible can conflict with being in the way, or being exposed when on track, and oil lines may need more fittings, or more restrictive fittings. I would still strive for vertical, spinning off down, if I could.
    I agree. It's nice to be able to pre-fill and to remove the filter w/o making a mess. Luckily, when my undertray is off (after almost every race weekend for inspection and gear change), there's nothing under my filter, so I can drain into a drain pan when I pull the filter. Pre-filling is not an issue, since I always prime the system and get oil pressure before starting the engine.
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.14.21 at 1:23 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 40

Default Oil cooler question

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Dave, I am curious about the two oil coolers, reason behind them, and how they're plumbed. Thanks
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Quote Originally Posted by FASTDAD View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread. Dave, I am curious about the two oil coolers, reason behind them, and how they're plumbed. Thanks
    That's a good question which I thought about for quite a while before installing the air-oil cooler in that orientation.

The long horizontal oil/water heat exchanger is obvious - to quickly get the oil up to temperature and then do most of the oil-temperature control when things are hot (that was the way Citation - Steve L. - installed it when we went from Pinto to Zetec). The water enters directly from the engine and the exchanger is between the pressure side of the oil pump and the oil filter.

The little oil/air cooler in the return from the pan to the tank on the air exit side of the radiator serves 2 purposes:
    1. Since I'm running a 0W30 synthetic, I wanted a little more cooling when things get hot (provides a bit more hot oil pressure), and
    2. Even though there is a good de-aeration setup in the tank (2 gently sloping surfaces that the inbound oil runs down before it is in the reservoir area), it provides more de-aeration before the oil goes to the tank. The oil enters it at the bottom from the scavenge pump and exits at the top, giving the oil another good chance to separate from the air.
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.14.21 at 1:37 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 40

Default Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. Nice clean setup.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Dave;

Is that an additional oil cooler mounted on the backside of the engine coolant radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Mine is horizontal - once the system is primed (pressure seen on gauge) orientation usually makes little difference unless the filter is mounted higher than the rest of the oil supply system. Photo below:
    V/r

Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Dave;

Is that an additional oil cooler mounted on the backside of the engine coolant radiator?
    See post # 9 - I explain it all there.
    Dave Weitzenhof

See post # 9 - I explain it all there.
    Dave;

I am such a silly goose, my bad. Might I trouble you for the schematic of your oil/cooling system, please?
    V/r

Iverson

Dave;

I am such a silly goose, my bad. Might I trouble you for the schematic of your oil/cooling system, please?
    I'll sketch it up, scan it, and post it in this thread.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Dave;

I'll sketch it up, scan it, and post it in this thread.
    Crude 5-minute sketch below:
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.03.21 at 2:10 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 139

Is there a screen on your scavenge / oil pickup in your oil pan?

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Is there a screen on your scavenge / oil pickup in your oil pan?
    I assume there is. QS built and rebuilds my engine that I've had since 2007 and I've never had the pan off myself. They wouldn't have left that out.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 799

2. Even though there is a good de-aeration setup in the tank (2 gently sloping surfaces that the inbound oil runs down before it is in the reservoir area), it provides more de-aeration before the oil goes to the tank. The oil enters it at the bottom from the scavenge pump and exits at the top, giving the oil another good chance to separate from the air.
    While true that the cooler helps de-aerate the oil, the downside is that the cooler will be less efficient at actual cooling if the oil is aerated than it would be if on the pressure side. Nothing that proper sizing can't take care of though.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Just some general info to stir the pot. On our F1600 Mygales, a fairly large oil cooler on the return line to the tank top lowers the oil temp virtually not at all, even with big scoops or no scoop. The same cooler, in a poor location in the pressure line will lower OT by 30 degrees That is measuring OT as the oil re-enters the engine, which really is the only place that matters.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    While true that the cooler helps de-aerate the oil, the downside is that the cooler will be less efficient at actual cooling if the oil is aerated than it would be if on the pressure side. Nothing that proper sizing can't take care of though.
    That's why it's oriented with its flow upward through the cooler. It allows the air to separate somewhat on the way up, allowing the oil to transfer more heat than if it flowed downward or horizontally. Also, the oil entering the cooler is the hottest it will ever be, having just exited the pan.

I do agree though, that pressurized, non-aerated, oil will obviously transfer the most heat, everything else being equal.

The cooler location was a result of several factors:
    1. finding a suitable place where it would fit inside the bodywork and plumbing it would be simple
    2. not blocking cool airflow to the radiator
    3. not over-cooling the oil in cold weather
    4. trying to cool the oil at its hottest point
    5. keeping the added weight low.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.04.21 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
    Dave Weitzenhof

Crude 5-minute sketch below:
    You are the greatest. Tusen takk.
    V/r