Liked: 63

Default Drag Racing a F500

I talked to a guy last night that is Drag racing a F500 car!
    Has anyone else ever done this?
    I never thought of it but could be fun to run some crazy times with these little cars.

Thoughts?

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Drag racing Atlantics

Years ago, we were at Portland for a Wednesday test day before an pro FA weekend (WCAR maybe?). They had Wednesday night drag racing after the test so 3 Atlantic teams entered and ran their cars. Apparently the trick set up was removing the front wings and blocking the tunnel exits with plywood. I don't remember exact ETs but they were running sub 10 seconds.

In the 80's I used to run my Datsun 510 ITC car at Sears Point Wednesday night drags. Got in trouble for running hard all the way to the #3 braking marker heading into turn 7.

Fun times.

Steve

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 63

The guy talked to said he was running 9's at 139!

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 41

I looked into doing a top speed event in a FF a few years back. They said DOT legal tires were required.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Me leaving pit lane after coming in to have the front wing pulled off of the left front tire after lap 1 contact with Lazzaro at Trois-Rivieres in 1996. The tires were a bit cold and didn't really want to hook up.
    I couldn't afford data than but I think I remember someone at the time telling me that FA standing start to 60mph times were around 2.6 seconds.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 82

I would imagine if you took the average F500 right off the track and ran it down the drag strip it would be in the low 12s high 11s. Changing the gearing and playing with the suspension would probably take a second or more off the car.

I've seen on boards from autocross and the cars are going from 0-60 in a shade over 3 seconds.

Liked: 310

I've been behind all kinds of cars in all sorts of classes at autocrosses. There is nothing more impressive than an F500 launching of the line. It's like watching a jumping spider.

Liked: 2

I drag race mine but it's a longer wheelbase (+12") and electric. That said, the folks who drag race snowmobiles are very competitive and some of them are very quick. They typically use a 2-step (rev limiter with two settings) to launch so bracket racing times are very consistent. Time/Speed depend on power and sleds are lighter than cars so...

Our local 1/8-mile track has a couple of turbo sleds that run low to mid-5's at 140-ish mph.

(edit) I suspect typical 2-stroke F500's with light mods could be very successful at bracket/ET racing
    Last edited by Frank06; 04.05.21 at 7:52 AM.

Liked: 82

I was at the drags with a friend and there was a snowmobile going through tech, I asked the tech guy what kind of times they ran assuming they'd be in the 10s. He laughed and told me to go watch...………...they were in the 7s.

Thread Information