Liked: 76

Default LD200 Mounted Catch Can System

Figured I would post this as well...It is a catch can system I developed that mounts to any LD200 trans on either side. Has an accessible drain plug on the bottom. I know it would interfere with the axle mounted alternator...mine is belt driven so its a non issue. The carbon fiber acts as a stiffener to prevent bending and vibration. Did 4 full track days last year, and it worked perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Nice fab work, but not sure that carbon is legal? (at least in FF & FC)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Nice fab work, but not sure that carbon is legal? (at least in FF & FC)
    I was just reading the rules as I prepare my car to return to racing. Carbon fiber isn't legal for body work, but that's it. My car was last raced in 2019 and has a carbon dash and switch panel so this would be fine.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by Goallie11 View Post
    I was just reading the rules as I prepare my car to return to racing. Carbon fiber isn't legal for body work, but that's it. My car was last raced in 2019 and has a carbon dash and switch panel so this would be fine.
    I read it as well. GCR, March 2021, page 217, paragraph 2 tells me carbon fibre is not allowed, no reference to "bodywork only". Please educate me if I am wrong.
    (The fact that your car has carbon parts and was not protested does not necessarily mean it is legal.)

Edit: don't misunderstand, I wouldn't protest you for that bracket, but once rules start getting bent, the slope gets slippery in a hurry. :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I read it as well. GCR, March 2021, page 217, paragraph 2 tells me carbon fibre is not allowed, no reference to "bodywork only". Please educate me if I am wrong.
    (The fact that your car has carbon parts and was not protested does not necessarily mean it is legal.)

Edit: don't misunderstand, I wouldn't protest you for that bracket, but once rules start getting bent, the slope gets slippery in a hurry. :-)
    Going back through it, in the March revision, section 9.1.1, 4. e. it states:

"Bodywork shall be of aluminum or glass fiber construction and may incorporate honeycomb, wood, or foam coring for purposes of maintaining its shape under aero loading. Kevlar reinforcement is permitted. All bodywork shall be attached to the chassis such that it is not capable of coming loose when the car is in operation."

In the same section, 9.1.1, 4. g. it states interior panels can be carbon fiber:

"Cockpit interior panels may be constructed of glass fiber, carbon fiber, metal and/or Kevlar. Such panels shall be contained completely within the frame and may not be attached to the frame with fasteners closer than 6 in (15 cm) centers measured along the surface of the panel. The chassis must be capable of rolling without any such interior panels installed. Cars with composite panels, either interior or exterior, attached in this manner, are subject to a 25 pound weight penalty. Inlet restrictors may also be required."

So no body panels can be carbon but interior panels can be, subject to a weight penalty.

However in 9.1.1, 3, j. it states instruments can be mounted in composite materials

"Instruments may be mounted in non-metal panels (e.g., composite, wood or plastic) securely affixed to the dash bulkhead."

I should be good within these rules, but if you see otherwise, I'd be happy to hear it.

However I did see in section 9.1.1, 3, h. that brackets have to be metal:

"Brackets are permitted for the exclusive purpose of mounting components, such as the engine, transmission, suspension pickups, clutch and brake components. They shall be metal. Brackets shall not be used to otherwise reinforce the frame. Composite and/or non-metal bellhousings are prohibited."

So it seems sadly that the carbon bracket to attach the catch can won't be legal.

That's really splitting hairs, as it acts as a stiffener, the attaching "bracket" is aluminum....but could easily make the stiffener out of aluminum as well.
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 04.02.21 at 8:17 AM.

I wouldn't dispute it, I'd say looks good and wish mine looked as good.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

x
    Last edited by ejsprint30; 04.02.21 at 7:44 PM.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Gents;

Now don’t hold me to it, but I seem to recall the term ‘licked by the wind” ringing a bell.
    V/r

Iverson

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information