Liked: 899

A Brabham BT18 roller for $1195.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    A Brabham BT18 roller for $1195.
    In a similar vein - gasoline was under $0.30/gallon in '74... Distilled water was more expensive.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Those were "the good old days"

In 40 years today will be the good old days...

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 225

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    In a similar vein - gasoline was under $0.30/gallon in '74... Distilled water was more expensive.
    I don’t know about anyone else here but I sure wish the inflation rate of everything else in this sport was the same as the gas we put in out tow vehicles. I’d pay $12k for a Brabham roller!

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    I don’t know about anyone else here but I sure wish the inflation rate of everything else in this sport was the same as the gas we put in out tow vehicles. I’d pay $12k for a Brabham roller!
    Some comparisons.

From that ad, a new Lola T340 was $7150 in 1974. A new FF these days would run ~10 times that.

At the same time a new Corvette (coupe) was $6000. A new Corvette would run almost exactly 10 times that today.

The US consumer price index (CPI) was 50 mid-year 1974, and 263 today. [source: Bureau of Labor Statistics] So the CPI has gone up by a factor of 5.25 since June 1974.

So, FF and Corvette prices have kept pace over the past 47 years, both about twice the increase in the CPI.

The outlier is the BT18. It was $1200 in 1974. Using the CPI, it would be about $6300 today. Using the FF/Corvette index, about $12000. Evidently, vintage racecar prices have escalated faster than FF or Corvette prices.

On the price of gas, I wonder about the 30 cents/gallon in 1974. That may have been a 1973 price. Of course, gas prices are both regional and highly volatile. However, the US average price took a real jump after the 1973 Oil Crisis, going from mid-to-high 30s before to mid-to-high 50s after.

If the gas price in June 1974 was 50 cents/gallon, today's US average price for regular (~$2.85) is not far off the 5.25 CPI multiplier.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    ...On the price of gas, I wonder about the 30 cents/gallon in 1974. That may have been a 1973 price. Of course, gas prices are both regional and highly volatile. However, the US average price took a real jump after the 1973 Oil Crisis, going from mid-to-high 30s before to mid-to-high 50s after....
    You're probably correct - in 1976, IIRC, I added a second gas tank to my van because at 8 mpg we couldn't be sure we'd make it from one open gas station to another due to the fuel shortage and short gas station hours.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 268

Default Gas prices

And of course, here in the peoples republic of California we pay about $2.00 more per gallon than the rest of you. Why, taxes ( never high enough for the jerks that run the State) and collusion between the oil companies!

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    And of course, here in the peoples republic of California we pay about $2.00 more per gallon than the rest of you. Why, taxes ( never high enough for the jerks that run the State) and collusion between the oil companies!
    Jerry,

There is an informative article in the San Francisco Comical newspaper. The oil company collusion is only costing us 35 cents a gallon, the rest of the difference is taxes.

Steve

Liked: 1871

Actually, the oil company profit per gallon is about 5-7 cents, with the retailers getting slightly less than that.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default If................

...............I only knew now what I knew then!

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    If ...............I only knew now what I knew then!
    or something like that
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

The biggest issue in California is "boutique fuels". Every air quality management district requires its own formulation. Also, pretty sure all the crude comes from either Alaska or from within the state (southern central valley) because there are no crude or gasoline pipelines coming from the east. We're also short on refining capacity, so if any refinery has an issue like a fire or unplanned maintenance, the price spikes.

Liked: 1871

While there are no pipelines carrying crude oil into CA, the state still gets almost half of its oil from from foreign sources:

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...nia-refineries

Lots of interesting stuff on the site.

Liked: 268

Default gas

Rick, so other than a few cents at most per gallon for our political gas here and even taking our ridiculous gas taxes it doesn't explain why a trip to Oregon, Washington, Nevada or Arizona with much farther transportation cost, as well as the same refiners, we pay more than $1-1.50 /gal more than they do. A question once on a radio show to a Chevron big wig as to why we pay more was answered by him "Well, you are West of the Mississippi so it costs more for transportation) Great answer but our fuel is refined here! Peter Principle at it's best!

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Well...

Three points on California's gasoline:
    1. CA has 2 "blends" of gas, winter and summer. Both are unique to CA and only refined here.
    2. Because of #1, gas can't be imported from out of state.
    3. The petroleum companies charge more here simply because they can and we willing pay. There are no conspiracies or oil company collusion.

Most of what I've learned about this is many, many BBQs, parties, dinners, etc with Chevron employees.The corporate offices are 5 miles from my house and you'll find more than 1 Chevron employee at every event.

The newspaper article I referenced earlier is here https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...h-16054272.php

If the article is behind a pay wall, here's the graphic they use to show the CA gallon of gas cost break down.

Facts are your friends.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information