Liked: 482

Default Galling of threaded aluminum parts...prevention?

Seems like every other part I disassemble on this car has an issue I have to fix...

This time, and it isn’t the first, I have a threaded aluminum fitting that screws into the aluminum oil tank. When I removed it to inspect, the threads are buggered. Fortunately it wasn’t threaded very far in.

It may have been misthreaded but since this is isn’t the first, I’m thinking it is due to aluminum on aluminum. Is there a way to prevent this? Maybe it was just over torqued but would a thread sealer or something help prevent this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 703

I always use PTFE tape on pipe threads. It not only seals the threads but also lubricates them during installation. It should prevent what you're seeing.
    The thread sealant pastes are best left for home plumbing projects, IMO.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 3279

I've had good luck with the pipe-thread sealants like Loctite 565 on aluminum, but I agree, as long as you use the Teflon tape properly (no tape anywhere that could wind up inside) it works fine. As Mike B said, lubrication is the key. When you use tape, be careful with the torque - it's very easy to over-torque and wind up cracking the outer part if it's not super strong.

Also see post #5.
    Last edited by DaveW; 03.25.21 at 10:28 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 601

Default Galling

It was probably over-torqued at some time.
    It appears to be a NPT thread, which should always have a sealant on it's threads. I use Hylomar, but any of the other suggestions will do the trick.
    As has been stated, watch you don't tighten it too much.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Seems like every other part I disassemble on this car has an issue I have to fix...

This time, and it isn’t the first, I have a threaded aluminum fitting that screws into the aluminum oil tank. When I removed it to inspect, the threads are buggered. Fortunately it wasn’t threaded very far in.

It may have been misthreaded but since this is isn’t the first, I’m thinking it is due to aluminum on aluminum. Is there a way to prevent this? Maybe it was just over torqued but would a thread sealer or something help prevent this?
    I've had similar situations to this - it looks like the female thread was not tapped large enough to allow proper seating of the male tapered pipe thread. That is evidenced by the fact that it only had a few threads engaged. I've had to re-tap stuff like that many times.
    Last edited by DaveW; 03.25.21 at 10:29 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thanks guys!

I have a tap on order and will tape properly when I install...

Liked: 1397

I use a product called "Copper Slip" for thread protection and as a sealant. It is a Loctite product now days.

Liked: 703

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I use a product called "Copper Slip" for thread protection and as a sealant. It is a Loctite product now days.
    Maybe Copaslip?
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...SAAEgKJa_D_BwE
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

excellent! I have a bottle of that.

Now... just that or WITH Teflon tape? Or is that like wearing a belt with suspenders?

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    excellent! I have a bottle of that.

Now... just that or WITH Teflon tape? Or is that like wearing a belt with suspenders?
    I use the Copper Slip by itself..

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Looking at the threads and overall condition of the fitting, I'd have to ask if you were positive the male and female threads were of the same spec. BSP vs NPT.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 146

Teflon tape is the work of the devil, as are tapered threads. All it does is give good lubrication to the thread, which allow the fitting to be over tightened and ultimately split or damage the housing. If it doesn’t do that, it allows the fitting to easily vibrate out. If you must persist with the tapered thread, use a proper Loctite thread seal, or convert it to a parallel thread with a proper O ring.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

I would agree with Charles Warner - confirm they are both definitely the same thread. Also, if they are BSP, whether you have a taper fitting going into a parallel hole.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Yep, what I use. Especially for dissimilar metals.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    V/r

Iverson

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Looking at the threads and overall condition of the fitting, I'd have to ask if you were positive the male and female threads were of the same spec. BSP vs NPT.
    Hewlands have BSP "pipe" threads - which makes sense

But, a lot of the "not-original" threads are NPT where people added vents, etc.

Liked: 10

I'm not a fan of teflon tape for the same reason other folks have mentioned. That is, it can get into things. I have however, used with success liquid/paste teflon by Permatex sealant particularly on things that get removed and reinstalled often like scavenge screens.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 23

Default BSPP and BSPT

I have found, at least with Hewlands, that they use BSPP which is British Standard Pipe Parallel (BSPP)as opposed to British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT). I have researched and found that the BSPP is the same threads per inch but the thread is a 70 degree pitch as opposed to the American thread which 65 degree or vice versa. I'm not sure of the BSPT and American tapered pipe thread have the same difference on the thread pitch, but it is difficult to tell unless you know the origin of the part.

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pakracer View Post
    I have found, at least with Hewlands, that they use BSPP which is British Standard Pipe Parallel (BSPP)as opposed to British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT). I have researched and found that the BSPP is the same threads per inch but the thread is a 70 degree pitch as opposed to the American thread which 65 degree or vice versa. I'm not sure of the BSPT and American tapered pipe thread have the same difference on the thread pitch, but it is difficult to tell unless you know the origin of the part.
    Surprising but I found a BSPP tap for the LD200 drain plug on Amazon. Cheap too like $20. I had a box that needed some cleaning up and it worked great.

The P threads will have a washer to provide a seal. In places like the gearbox drain the case just isn't thick enough for a tapered plug to do its job.

Liked: 110

BSP vs NPT
    55 vs 60 degree
    shape of the thread form is different
    ONE pitch different per inch between the two types for almost all smaller sizes (ie. 1/8 is 28 vs 27 and 3/8 is 19 vs 18). The catch is 1/2" and 3/4" are the same pitch but of course different thread angle and form. Bigger sizes then have a pitch difference again. This is a minefield....

So one goes into the other for a bit then tightens (but not in a good way).

For any of these fittings, if the male bit only goes in 2-3 turns, then you need to stop and check if you have the threads that match.

It is really important that you know which one you have (and sort of hard to sort out too; well, not really, but a 2 second look and a quick guess is not good enough).

And for EricP (first post on this) with buggered threads. My guess is it is due to a mismatch of BSP and NPT (someone put the wrong fitting in) and then tightened it enough to damage the threads.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Yep, what I use. Especially for dissimilar metals.
    Duralac is specifically designed for a corrosion inhibitor for dissimilar joints, especially useful on metals like aluminium and magnesium, which are very prone to electrolytic corrosion where they have a steel bolt, etc. in contact.

Liked: 270

After having my oil return line vibrate loose and kill a motor (not to mention oil down half the back straight at Mud-O), I refuse to assemble any automotive plumbing fittings, racecar or street, without a dab of Permatex 54540:
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-5454.../dp/B000HBGL14

Explicitly states prevents corrosion and galling, as well as vibration loosening etc.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 601

Default Thread galling

I'm pretty sure he is working on his Citation (American made) and on the oil tank not a gearbox, so BSP is not an option seen.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 268

Default Galling

When in doubt regardless of sealer ,tape or paste, a simple safety wire takes care of the problem and gives a simple visual checkpoint. I like the British straight pipe thread with a o ring or stat-o-seal and safety wire. Makes it hard to screw up the threads or crack anything.

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is working on his Citation (American made) and on the oil tank not a gearbox, so BSP is not an option seen.
    Correct. I appreciate the caution but it is definitely NPT.

Gents;

My apologies for taking a bit of an off-course excursion here, but timing is everything. I am rebuilding a Cozy front mounted pump, and desire to replace the 45 degree fitting with a straight fitting. Considering the age, best guess what the threads are?

V/r

Iverson

Default Npt

From the style of fitting, I'd guess NPT.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member

Depending on age, I would have thought either BSP or AN, but the only sure-fire way to know is remove it and measure.

TPI, diameter and angle should confirm.

Liked: 322

Rick, being English, I’m gonna bet it is BSP. Do you have any BSP fittings to try? If that is currently an NPT fitting, AN wont fit the same threaded area.

i have another one of these front mounted oil pumps that had the threaded boss broken, probably due to someone tightening an NPT fitting in too tight. You’ve just reminded me that I need to get that welded up so I can sell it!

if you get an o-ring AN adapter (ORB-8AN) it should thread right in. Use a copper crush washer (or Dowty seal) on fitting.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 322

Just confirmed on my Cosworth pump that all except the scavenge “In” are BSP-08 and the scavenge Is larger (an ORB-10 threads in)

the threaded area is pretty short so you may have to reduce the length of the BSP fittings as to not bottom out.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

All of this is really "neat." However, to the matter at hand, the fitting shown by the OP is buggered beyond use. It has been abused over the years. (I'm not saying WHO abused it, just that it has been abused and is now scrap.) Look at the first 3 threads. Flattened, with no real evidence of galling.

I have seen parts from both sides of the pond that were NPT, BSP, BSPP, and even Whitworth. My (failsafe?) method is to hand tighten the fittings, without thread seal, teflon whatever, etc. If there is resistance before three full rotations then you have an issue. Then it's off to the spare parts bin to see what fittings actually fit.

A full set of taps and dies for all eventualities is a great thing to have. Not cheap, mind you, but a great thing to have. Thread chasers in the appropriate sizes are also a necessity.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

If I was both EricP and Rick, I would be machining/tapping the female part to be a parallel threaded hole of some sort and then inserting the same parallel male threaded part with a decent washer to seal it (and also use a liquid sealant). There are clever washers with O rings build in that often come with the male fittings. You can buy a whole set of these taps for $100. I recently converted an oil pump from Ricks 45 degree style fitting to straight (I think it was 5/8 JIC to -12). Hydraulic shops typically use JIC fittings; read up on them. JIC are designed for high pressure. Just what we want.

Tapered fitting are a cheap and dirty way of getting a seal. But they risk cracking if overtightened. For us, these fittings are all on oil lines so are critical. Cracks are bad and expensive. So are leaks. Parallel has a lot more thread-to-thread contact and gets a proper washer.

Just convert them to parallel once and for all. Job done. How hard is it to drill and tap a hole?

Gents;

Straight AN male to BSP male. Phenix Industries, PN B6101214-4, -10 to 1/2 x 14 BSP, Blue. About $4.50 each with crush washer. These babies are quite nicely made, and you can’t beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

My apologies for taking a bit of an off-course excursion here, but timing is everything. I am rebuilding a Cozy front mounted pump, and desire to replace the 45 degree fitting with a straight fitting. Considering the age, best guess what the threads are?

V/r

Iverson

43. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 225

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    A full set of taps and dies for all eventualities is a great thing to have. Not cheap, mind you, but a great thing to have. Thread chasers in the appropriate sizes are also a necessity.
    Now wouldn’t those make great Religious Holiday, Birthday, Anniversary, etc. gifts?

if only I can remember that next December!

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Now wouldn’t those make great Religious Holiday, Birthday, Anniversary, etc. gifts?

if only I can remember that next December!
    My birthday is in July - I can remind you...

Rick; nice work. And so cheap.

Be nice to see what EricP comes up with...

Thread Information