Liked: 10

Default Formula First Participation

I have a Vee that I am considering converting into a First. I was wondering how the participation levels in the SCCA are for the class. It seems as though they don't run in the runoffs. I am located in the Northeast Region.

I just don't want to waste my time and money if it is a struggling class.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Quote Originally Posted by bcvinar View Post
    I have a Vee that I am considering converting into a First. I was wondering how the participation levels in the SCCA are for the class. It seems as though they don't run in the runoffs. I am located in the Northeast Region.

I just don't want to waste my time and money if it is a struggling class.
    if you were in the Midwest it might be worth it. Here in the NE it is all regular FV. First is not a “Majors” class.

the Challenge Cup is closer but you are still looking at a haul.

What car do you have? We have 4 tracks in your neighborhood with our own race group and usually 20+ cars.

ChrisZ

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 298

Is first struggling? I guess it depends on your opinion of struggling. The class was developed due to FV elite not wanting any change to the class to upset their apple cart and make them change. Starting a new class right as the world went into the aftermath of the mortgage crises was unfortunately bad timing. There is a small core of racers and the races are more in the central part of the country but this year they will race at Nelson Ledges and Pitt twice.

Last year I finished up a car I had designed and nearly finished but didn't and made one race after renting the following year. I think it is a good class that will allow you to race without the higher cost of a front running vee. If you don't want to start from scratch I have a Caracal that was converted to a first car and I bought it for parts so you would need the VW parts as well as other items that I would like to get rid of.

I think there will be 10 or more cars at the races this year so it might not be a bad time to give it a try.

Ed

I have a Lynx chassis. Or so I'm told... I bought it off Mike Hinkle about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    if you were in the Midwest it might be worth it. Here in the NE it is all regular FV. First is not a “Majors” class.

the Challenge Cup is closer but you are still looking at a haul.

What car do you have? We have 4 tracks in your neighborhood with our own race group and usually 20+ cars.

ChrisZ

What are you looking to get for the Caracal? I already have most of the parts for the conversion, including the engine, brakes, and suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post
    Is first struggling? I guess it depends on your opinion of struggling. The class was developed due to FV elite not wanting any change to the class to upset their apple cart and make them change. Starting a new class right as the world went into the aftermath of the mortgage crises was unfortunately bad timing. There is a small core of racers and the races are more in the central part of the country but this year they will race at Nelson Ledges and Pitt twice.

Last year I finished up a car I had designed and nearly finished but didn't and made one race after renting the following year. I think it is a good class that will allow you to race without the higher cost of a front running vee. If you don't want to start from scratch I have a Caracal that was converted to a first car and I bought it for parts so you would need the VW parts as well as other items that I would like to get rid of.

I think there will be 10 or more cars at the races this year so it might not be a bad time to give it a try.

Ed

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

I have a Lynx chassis. Or so I'm told... I bought it off Mike Hinkle about 5 years ago.
    if that is the car I am thinking of, ironically it might have had a 1600 in it back in the 90’s.

The lynx is a good car to do First, Challenge, Vintage ( with a z-bar) and regular FV.

with the 4 bolt disc option, your biggest cost will be the engine, assuming all safety gear like fuel cell and fire system are okay,

people forget about the last 2 and get caught out when building a car.

Start making a list and we car give you some ideas.

right now there are.good number of rtr cars at reasonable prices.

I am building a car from a “slider” and it is more of a labor of love.....

ChrisZ

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    if that is the car I am thinking of, ironically it might have had a 1600 in it back in the 90’s.

The lynx is a good car to do First, Challenge, Vintage ( with a z-bar) and regular FV.

with the 4 bolt disc option, your biggest cost will be the engine, assuming all safety gear like fuel cell and fire system are okay,

people forget about the last 2 and get caught out when building a car.

Start making a list and we car give you some ideas.

right now there are.good number of rtr cars at reasonable prices.

I am building a car from a “slider” and it is more of a labor of love.....

ChrisZ
    I got this car as a bare frame and have built it entirely myself. Saved a bit of money though.. What is the group you run in around here?

Liked: 298

What are you looking to get for the Caracal? I already have most of the parts for the conversion, including the engine, brakes, and suspension.
    $500 and I am in central PA.

Ed

Thread Information