Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Default Damper rebuild cost for Penske 8760s

Rather than get sticker "shock" after the fact, I was wondering what I could expect a basic teardown, inspection and rebuild would cost me for the triple adjustable Penskes on my Van Diemen.

I don't THINK I need to have anything done—I managed to get a good local guy to replace a couple of dried out O-rings and they're no longer weeping shock oil, but what can I expect for a bill from someone who knows his (or her!) way around them properly?

Liked: 1432

I last paid around $150ea, dynoed. But that was some years ago.

Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Rather than get sticker "shock" after the fact, I was wondering what I could expect a basic teardown, inspection and rebuild would cost me for the triple adjustable Penskes on my Van Diemen.

I don't THINK I need to have anything done—I managed to get a good local guy to replace a couple of dried out O-rings and they're no longer weeping shock oil, but what can I expect for a bill from someone who knows his (or her!) way around them properly?
    Around 1000 for the DSSV’s on my 016... with the best damper shop I could find
    ymmv,
    Bill

Liked: 235

You can find ANZE's price list in a link from here: https://www.anzesuspension.com/service/shockservice/
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    This is exactly the price I paid for my 8760s in 2018. Complete rebuild and dyno by Penske.

I was quoted $250 by Anze around that same time period, which still seems to be their going rate.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Around 1000 for the DSSV’s on my 016... with the best damper shop I could find
    ymmv,
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    You can find ANZE's price list in a link from here: https://www.anzesuspension.com/service/shockservice/
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
    This is exactly the price I paid for my 8760s in 2018. Complete rebuild and dyno by Penske.

I was quoted $250 by Anze around that same time period, which still seems to be their going rate.
    Thanks, everyone.

In all honesty, I'm getting so used to race shops not quoting prices that this time it never occurred to me to check!

Liked: 6

Default Shock service

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

In all honesty, I'm getting so used to race shops not quoting prices that this time it never occurred to me to check!
    To ship the shocks to the east coast will be very expensive, Try these guys in California, I have used them for parts and sent others without complaints. There website has quotes.
    https://performanceshock.com/index.p...=index&cPath=1

Liked: 225

Default Rebuild

Or.
    Rebuild them yourself. You won’t have the whizzy shock dyno sheets, but barring any expensive replacement parts, save quite a bit of cash. The manual is available on the Penske website and Steve Horn was very helpful.

It doesn’t require any equipment that I don’t already possess and was certainly within the skill requirements of an average home mechanic.

I’m confident my comment will elicit replies that will disagree with me...

Liked: 3279

Default Penske in Reading, PA

I have my Penske 2000's rebuilt and dynoed there annually. The standard rebuild price is $175 each if they don't need any expensive parts. That, of course includes fresh oil and making sure the shocks are balanced side-side and having what they should for dyno curves. Steve Horn is my contact person. I've been very satisfied with his work.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Or.
    Rebuild them yourself. You won’t have the whizzy shock dyno sheets, but barring any expensive replacement parts, save quite a bit of cash. The manual is available on the Penske website and Steve Horn was very helpful.

It doesn’t require any equipment that I don’t already possess and was certainly within the skill requirements of an average home mechanic.

I’m confident my comment will elicit replies that will disagree with me...
    You’re correct. It is not hard to rebuild a shock, and it is not hard to assemble one and have an internal joint leak, a shim not seal correctly or use a piston just not lapped correctly.

About one in twenty shocks I rebuild, have to be done again because of one of the reasons above. The only way to determine the issue is from reading the dyno results. And this means drilling into the data, not just looking at a PVP graph. Sometimes you just have to strip it, and do it again with the same parts, and it will work properly. And, a good dyno will give you the correct info on how much change every click gives on an adjustable shock, along with the info on matching them side to side.

Very often, I find that one shock will have to be run 1 or 2 clicks harder than the other side. YRMV.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Shock rebuild

I watch Joe rebuild one of my shocks in his shop back in the day and saw what was involved to do properly. I will let the experts do it.

Ed

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information