Liked: 99

Default Honda final drive vs. gearsets (LD200)

This may be a bit of a dumb question -curious if anyone running a 9:31 with the Honda.

I'm rebuilding a car that has a pristine 9:31 in it (with taylor prep), and a very rough 10:31 spare. No previous experience prepping a honda conversion. Should I be considering anything other than ratio selection and mph?

Looking at ratios there are not many options to tune at high MPH, but maybe enough to get started. Thinking economically for a shakedown season.

With 9:31 6700rpm
    24/24 = 132mph
    25/24 = 137mph

Tracks I run are Mid Ohio, Gingerman, Grattan, Road America, and Indy Runoffs. If anyone is willing to share their honda ratios for those tracks I'd appreciate it to make sure I'm looking at what I need for LD 1st gears, also.

If you have any experience or advice I appreciate it, thanks
    Brandon
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    This may be a bit of a dumb question -curious if anyone running a 9:31 with the Honda.

I'm rebuilding a car that has a pristine 9:31 in it (with taylor prep), and a very rough 10:31 spare. No previous experience prepping a honda conversion. Should I be considering anything other than ratio selection and mph?

Looking at ratios there are not many options to tune at high MPH, but maybe enough to get started. Thinking economically for a shakedown season.

With 9:31 6700rpm
    24/24 = 132mph
    25/24 = 137mph

Tracks I run are Mid Ohio, Gingerman, Grattan, Road America, and Indy Runoffs. If anyone is willing to share their honda ratios for those tracks I'd appreciate it to make sure I'm looking at what I need for LD 1st gears, also.
    I think it's been said more than a few times, but it seems the Honda at the least pulls more cleanly from low RPM, so you can probably afford a slightly taller gear than you'd use with a Kent and of course. My home course has a three very slow corners and I'm definitely using a taller first gear in the Honda to avoid a couple of awkward shifts coming out of two of them, and it must be a working combination, because I've got it down to just three tenths off the lap record.

And because the Honda has a rev limiter, you need to have a few RPM in hand in top gear to allow for the times you're in the draft and want to keep accelerating.

So I think there's not much beyond that and getting the basic ratios right for a 9:31. Just remember that you can allow yourself a slightly greater RPM drop than you'd be happy with in a Kent-engined FF.

Liked: 54

Brandon
    I’ll e-mail what I used for those tracks, but I had a 10:31, so you will have do the conversion.
    Dan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Brandon,

I see overdrive gears in your future if you stick with the 9/31...
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I had a 9-31 in my Reynard. It is no difference from a kent. Theoretically, you are at a slight disadvantage because there are a lot more selection of gears available for top gear with a 13-36. So rather than have choices in 2 mph increments, your choices will be 4-5 mph increments.. Because we always have to overgear for pack racing and the draft, I think it is insignificant. You will, however have much more choices for 3rd gear .... again insignificant. I would put my resources into tires, entry fees, and track time.

I can share my 9-31 gears for the FRP tracks if you contact me directly.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thread Information