Liked: 28

Default Runoffs Schedule For Indy

I see they posted the schedule for the runoffs. Looks like FF/F500 will be together in all the Q sessions. Too bad they could not break it out for at least 1 of the 3 sessions. F500 is near the end on Sunday.

I hope to attend this year, cross my fingers as I scramble to get my car ready.

Liked: 279

That grouping led to an absolute s**t show last time at Indy....ask me how I know. In each of the first 3 Qualifying sessions, they gridded ALL the F500's ahead of the FF's. By the time the 1st FF's made it on to track (2 minutes of track time gone before we even get on track) we were already into the slow F500's. It was virtually IMPOSIBLE to get a clean lap. After much complaining, the officials decided to split the final qually into two sessions of less that 10 minutes.

Based on history, I would start the mass complaining now so that maybe the FF's can get some clean track time for qualifying.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Qualifying sessions, they gridded ALL the F500's ahead of the FF's. By the time the 1st FF's made it on to track (2 minutes of track time gone before we even get on track) we were already into the slow F500's.
    Joel is being kind in his time assessment. it was more than 6 minutes in before the first FF was completing their first timed lap. It was accentuated by several F500s backing the field up by crawling down pitlane. Hopefully the Indy lure will have subsided some and both classes will have reasonably sized fields, and we can alternate class order on the grid.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 28

I really only started the thread to get the thought process going, not start a blame game. Maybe 10 minutes each would be a better option or just line up by time instead of class.

Liked: 227

x

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    That grouping led to an absolute s**t show last time at Indy....ask me how I know. In each of the first 3 Qualifying sessions, they gridded ALL the F500's ahead of the FF's. By the time the 1st FF's made it on to track (2 minutes of track time gone before we even get on track) we were already into the slow F500's. It was virtually IMPOSIBLE to get a clean lap. After much complaining, the officials decided to split the final qually into two sessions of less that 10 minutes.

Based on history, I would start the mass complaining now so that maybe the FF's can get some clean track time for qualifying.
    It was no picnic for either class - had FF gone out first the fast F500's would be stumbling over the slow FF's. Getting 72 cars on track is no picnic for any of the 72 - no matter the class.

Liked: 279

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    It was no picnic for either class - had FF gone out first the fast F500's would be stumbling over the slow FF's. Getting 72 cars on track is no picnic for any of the 72 - no matter the class.
    Agreed. My point was that all participants should be lobbying for fairness ahead of time since what was was done last time was far from fair. The issue was not addressed until it was too late.
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Liked: 227

I agree that last time was a disaster. I also think 10-minute sessions are worthless. My recommended solution would be to alternate days with each class going out first. The first class out on Tuesday would be the one with the highest number of cars. Not a perfect solution, but would guarantee the front runners in each class at least one session with a few clear laps.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

I think we all agree it was screwed up last time. Why can't Q2 and Q3 be gridded by lap time mixing classes like any other Majors or Supertour?

Thread Information