Liked: 20

Default Age restriction at Indy?

I'm told there is an Indiana law precluding those under the age of 18 from racing cars. Can someone from the SCCA address whether drivers under 18 will be allowed to compete at run-offs? On one occasion I was told this was NOT an issue, but I've since been told by others that it is a law.

Thanks,

Mark Russell
    Tucson

Liked: 350

800 770 2055 Ask for Deanna.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1109

Perhaps things have changed in the decades since, but I believe Jeff Gordon raced Sprint Cars well before 18 after moving to Pittsboro.

I saw an interview of him recently where he said he was 13, and already in Sprint cars, but that was when living in California. Amazing in retrospect.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by E1pix; 03.02.21 at 1:00 AM.

Liked: 984

Indiana law does not prohibit motorsports participation of persons under the age of majority (18) and in fact, has legislation that permits minors to be emancipated for the specific purpose of participating in professional motorsport events if necessary. The permitted age at IMS will depend upon the underlying liability carrier and sanctioning body. For Runoffs this will obviously fall under SCCA's jurisdiction and I am unaware of any deviation from the existing age limitations in the GCR for that event. As noted above you can contact Deana for specifics.

Watkins Glen is a different animal and the driver must be 18 years of age or emancipated to participate.

Good luck,

John

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1477

your statement infers that someone over 18 must be emancipated for the purpose of competing in motorsports in Indiana - or does it just apply to Indiana residents?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    your statement infers that someone over 18 must be emancipated for the purpose of competing in motorsports in Indiana - or does it just apply to Indiana residents?
    It infers nothing of the sort Rick. The age of majority in Indiana is recognized as being 18. Once an individual reaches the age of majority they would not have to be emancipated to enter into a contract. (emancipation for child support is a unique subject) The motorsports question normally centers on when the individual can legally execute a waiver of liability. Indiana law still recognizes parental consent/minor waivers so emancipation is not necessarily required for those under 18 to participate in motorsport events. Each track, sanctioning body and liability carrier is unique and can implement their own standards.

At one time USAC required participants to execute their own waivers; this was the impetus for the unique legislation Indiana enjoys on this subject.

Again, I suggest that you contact Deanna with respect to the protocol for IMS Runoffs.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    It infers nothing of the sort Rick.
    You spelled "rule is adequate as written" incorrectly.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1477

I forgot. John's a lawyer, so I need to slow down when I read his prose.

Haha! No one else does!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    You spelled "rule is adequate as written" incorrectly.
    Thank you for your input.

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information