Liked: 295

Default buyer beware with JWilless

Last july or so I bought two new in the box gun drilled axles from J. In my first communication I stated they were for a 98 Van Dieman. He told me the length of the shafts but I did not understand how to measure properly and thought they would work for me.

When I made this discovery I decided to call the mfgr and find out what they were actually for. The supplier of them to J stated that they had been special order as he had nothing on the shelf for that length. Knowing this now it appears that j was well aware that they do not fit a 98 VD, otherwise he would not have had to have them specially made.

i asked him to take them back and refund my money but he suggested I shim my rear suspension to make it work with the 20" length, saying that would be simple...right.

So my track record of buying things off apexspeed which before this was perfect is now blemished.

If you buy from Jwilless be sure of what it is.

Tom Walgamuth

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Last july or so I bought two new in the box gun drilled axles from J. In my first communication I stated they were for a 98 Van Dieman. He told me the length of the shafts but I did not understand how to measure properly and thought they would work for me.

When I made this discovery I decided to call the mfgr and find out what they were actually for. The supplier of them to J stated that they had been special order as he had nothing on the shelf for that length. Knowing this now it appears that j was well aware that they do not fit a 98 VD, otherwise he would not have had to have them specially made.

i asked him to take them back and refund my money but he suggested I shim my rear suspension to make it work with the 20" length, saying that would be simple...right.

So my track record of buying things off apexspeed which before this was perfect is now blemished.

If you buy from Jwilless be sure of what it is.

Tom Walgamuth
    How much spacing do you really need? I may have some .500" CV joint spacers. Who was the manufacturer?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by jwilless View Post
    4 Brand new custom Axles for Van Diemen or other tripod assembly. These are 20" total length with some nice little improvements from Velocity Haus.

I ordered these for a custom setup and need something a bit longer after a redesign. These should work fine with a standard VD using 19.75" shafts.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ighlight=axles
    I'd be miffed too if I bought these from the vendor stating "should work fine with a standard VD" and then they didn't fit.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    How much spacing do you really need? I may have some .500" CV joint spacers. Who was the manufacturer?
    made by Velocityhaus.

Liked: 160

A 20" Vandiemen tripod axle is for a RF00 with standard RF00 rear suspension. I am not sure if anyone still runs that or not. Hopefully someone out there can take them off your hands, and put them to good use.

Liked: 231

Tom - I was talking to Phil last night and he brought up a good point. Your Van Diemen is a narrow track (as you'd want it to be for autocross). However, almost all late model Van Diemens 98+ have been converted, or sold new, to wide track as this is advantageous for road race use.

I wonder if this accounts for the difference in length of the half shafts? (Aka, maybe the half shafts you have are the correct length for a wide track car, just not your narrow track).

Just thinking aloud...

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    Tom - I was talking to Phil last night and he brought up a good point. Your Van Diemen is a narrow track (as you'd want it to be for autocross). However, almost all late model Van Diemens 98+ have been converted, or sold new, to wide track as this is advantageous for road race use.

I wonder if this accounts for the difference in length of the half shafts? (Aka, maybe the half shafts you have are the correct length for a wide track car, just not your narrow track).

Just thinking aloud...

-Mark
    Thanks for your thoughts!

If that were so he could have bought one off the shelf instead of having this one special made.....and it did not fit the car he ordered it for....a car he built.

The front is wide track, the rear narrow. 70" out to out and 66 out to out, IIRC. Perfect to my desires.

Thread Information