Liked: 10

Default CM FF1600 tire options?

For autocross, hill climbs and time trials with a FF1600 it seems like Hoosier has been the only answer for years. I think we are the only ones still using the cantilevered rear tires in the R25B compound. Avon has more compound choices and special super soft hill climb tires for other classes but not us. Did Avon ever make a cantilevered rear tire for FF1600? With our wheel width restricted to 5.5 inches, there doesn't seem to be any avenue to experiment.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by ffhillclimber View Post
    Did Avon ever make a cantilevered rear tire for FF1600?
    Stan,

Yes, Avon did (does?) make a cantilevered rear for FF Club Racing. I seem to recall it was in 2003-2008 time frame, but not exactly certain. I have no idea on compounds. Give Roger Kraus and/or SascoSports a call for further clarification. Contact info: Avon Tyres Motorsport

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 80

Hello Stan,

I've tested the Avon A11 tires and Chris Warner uses them now and he likes the way they give him that first run speed but gets just marginally faster every run after that, after first run .200 to .400 and this is also my experience with the A11.

Now to be fair from my behalf the A11's The set I got were 2 years old but still new and the Hoosier's R25b's had 20 runs on them so not sure if it's a relative test but I ran the A11's on a 85 deg day and had 5 runs on the them and didn't have any real slip to them and like I said from my very first run I got .200 to .300 tens faster every run after my first but how much of that is being familiar with the course and knowing where to go fast, not sure. So on this day I had 6 runs so on my last run I put the Hoosier's on and the short story is I was .200 tens faster again knowing the course may have had something to do with that but the Hoosier's were dead cold or ambient temp.

Avon's make much softer tires the A92 soft compound for hillclimbs and wet applications, The A15 soft compound for hillclimbs and wet applications, A43 Rallycross and then the A46 which is the Formula ford tire in the UK, this is the tire the UK offered me when I called.

I would love to test the A43 or A15 against the Hoosier R25B both new with just 1 driver and then 2 (co-driver) to see if for one you could drive by yourself or with a co-driver to see if your making up anytime or is the set up differences going to be the challenge.

Ben

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information