Liked: 80

Default Mk9 clutch lever

Hello All,

I'm just going through my car and checking all the boxes to make sure the car is right, one of the things was the clutch slave cylinder bracket has 2 new holes to reinstall the clutch slave cylinder well that means that the adjustable rod is max out. So I said can I reposition the clutch lever on the out side of the Mk9 and then noticed the lever was bent and then rewelded back on, does only one have a picture of a new one that I can reference from and can you get new ones in case this one is bent.

thank you for any info

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16132590604691260950984460569088.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	96576  
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 02.13.21 at 8:36 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

The lever on any MK9 that I have had was modified by welding a reinforcement "block" on the bottom to prevent exactly what you are experiencing. IIRC it was about a 1/2" square bar stock simply welded on the bottom of thwe lever in such a manner that uit did not interfere with anything.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

From your picture that looks like a standard Hewland clutch lever. They are cut/welded so they line up with the slave cylinder using the OE Hewland mounting bracket.

Your lever looks like it's rotated too far down on the cross-shaft splines. Correct installation is to have it angled slightly upwards in the 'rest' position, so the operating movement is over-centre.

Set up like that you should have enough fine adjustment on the threaded lower 'bullet' of the pushrod.

If you haven't one already, then it's worth downloading the manual for the Mk9, which is available on a number of websites. The maincase drawing shows the correct slave/pushrod/lever configuration.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 830

That rod looks basically like ALL clutch arms on VW trans. If you have a torch, it's pretty easy to heat it (NOT ON THE CAR) and gently bend it, in which ever direction it needs to go. Just get it 'just past red' hot in the middle area and it'll bend no problem. Let it air cool (DON'T Quinch it!). Don't overheat it and don't try to bend it too close to the end where it's been welded. It'll take O/A gas or mapp gas. Don't think a std propane torch will get it quite hot enough .. but it MIGHT if that's all you have. Just don't force bend it .. you shouldn't have to put "too much" force on it to bend it - say, pulling a 25# spring or so?

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Yup. these levers can bend or break. Often they break right where the lever meets the base which slips onto the splines of the protruding throw-out bearing shaft. This is because ALL the Hewland levers are welded that way. The stock VW lever would pint straight down, not at 90 degrees as they do to operate in conjunction with the clutch slave set up. Plus when they are cut and re-welded the are also tweaked by putting a bit of a curve in them to better wrap around and clear the bell housing. Thus it is a weak point.

You indicated the lever is bent thus causing you to run out of adjustment. Be sure it's the bent lever cuasing the issue. Sadly sometimes the ears on the throw-out bearing shaft (which hold the actual throw-out bearing) can "come adrift" from the shaft. Be sure that isn't the cause of the lever having to start its thing too far down. Then you've got a whole 'nuther problem (remove tranny to fix). Hopefully it's just the lever which can be replaced of fixed as others have correctly suggested.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 610

Default Clutch Lever on Hewland

This is how we have set them up since the 80's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch lever.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	96600  
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

When I got my new to me FF the clutch lever was bent in a similar fashion. I did as others had suggested and heated it red and bent it back to position. I then tig welded some 1/8" by 1/2" flat stock to the bottom to strengthen it like an I beam web. I have heard that the stock Hewland lever was fine for a stock clutch but would bend when using the stronger Tilton clutch.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Kea,
    Nice fix.
    Bob

Thread Information