Liked: 0

Default Formula Jim Russell bodywork

Hi,
    Could someone point me in the right direction on a car I brought for my son .Its a former Jim russell series car
    I know it is a Van diemen ,I need bodywork and if i can't find the correct stuff what chassis is it and what else can i use if i can't get the right period stuff.
    I have myself a 1996 V/D f2000 and a lotus cortina that i race
    thanks Chris

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Motogpwerks View Post
    Hi,
    Could someone point me in the right direction on a car I brought for my son .Its a former Jim russell series car
    I know it is a Van diemen ,I need bodywork and if i can't find the correct stuff what chassis is it and what else can i use if i can't get the right period stuff.
    I have myself a 1996 V/D f2000 and a lotus cortina that i race
    thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you know what model Van Diemen you have? I own a 1975 Van Diemen RF75 that I am restoring which was a Russell School of Canada car. I am having new RF76 bodywork produced in the UK by Universal Racing Services. The moulds for the RF75 bodywork do not exist but the RF76 bodywork is similar. The school used RF76 bodywork at some point as can be seen in the photos below. My bodywork is due to be shipped in a few weeks baring any issues with COVID-19. Let me know if I can help.

Cheers, Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1055352927lo.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	96480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1055352927la.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	96479  

Hi,
    I know that they were built in 1996 and were constructed around early 1980's chassis ,that's all i know about it as they were not tagged by Van diemen.
    The body is need is like the blue one in the photo or ??? if someone has any better ideas

Hi,
    I know that they were built in 1996 and were constructed around early 1980's chassis ,that's all i know about it as they were not tagged by Van diemen.
    The body is need is like the blue one in the photo or ??? if someone has any better ideas

Chris, I am unable to see your photo. I assume you are not referring to the blue Russell car in the photos I posted?

Sorry Yes I am .I was told I have a early van diemen 1977-1981 but built for the (one class racing ) school in 1996

I am sorry but I am not familiar with these cars or the body work that was used. There were originally three different types of Van Diemen bodywork used between 1977 and 1981. You may want to ask Simon at Universal Racing Services in the UK if he has any knowledge of the cars. They are the "official" parts supplier for Van Diemen cars and have the factory drawings etc.

Good Luck, Joe

Liked: 107

does your car have side pods, or radiator in the nose?
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Here are photos of Van Diemen Formula Fords between 77 and 81. Does your car match any of these?

Van Diemen RF77 & RF78

Van Diemen RF79 & RF80

Van Diemen RF81

Name:	2224_64916794208_8185_n-edited-1-696x463.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	96512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468655.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	96513  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Liked: 1878

If I remember correctly, the Jim Russell school cars back in '80-81 were all '78 VDs with the side radiators ( but no sidepods).

This is one off them guys

Name:	formula ford jim.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	96519  

You may want to take a look at this old thread. It has some info on these cars.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...russell+school

Cheers, Joe

Here is some more info on these cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...heel-race-car/

Good luck, Joe

Liked: 107

This is one off them guys
    i have one of those! i do not know of any molds or body work out there... i know one ~past year caught fire and destroyed most of the body work. is that the car you have? i forget if its the green one that sold on BaT i talked to that owner when he bought it but have lost touch. im in San diego area btw.

to answer some questions. while the chassis is VD / Crossle "like'ish" it in NOT one. a lot of small differences. its fatter in the cockpit, taller in front, all the suspension rods/arms look bespoke. KEP made the adapter plates, i have a spare, along with a spare engine... i had to get a new rear upright but as i recall it was slightly different from some others... they are very good cars in my opinion. easy to drive fast, no ill behaviors. other than the bespoke "school" chassis and mitsu engine - they are effectively built like FF even though they are not FF.

so in short - it is not a Van Diemen.. bodywork is plastic... so with some work you could make anything to fit... or convert it to front radiator even.
    Last edited by fitfan; 02.16.21 at 7:00 PM.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 7

Default Old VD

If the chassis looks like this link: https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...russell+school

It is a VD78-80 and Simon at Universal Racing Services is a good start for info & parts: http://www.universalracing.co.uk/index.htm
    J-Guy

Thread Information