Thread: Gantry lift

Liked: 7

Default Gantry lift

Has anyone looked into one of these for lifting our cars?

http://complift.com/light-duty-1-complift/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Light-Du...48-1/301146106

I like the idea of it being extremely portable and easily storable. Opinions?
    Thanks

Ps. They make a 1000# capacity one also, much more expensive.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Default Look at this

Same price 2000lbs capacity and has wheels.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-41188.html

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Just like the Brenner Lifts - it's an easy design to copy, and especially for a lightweight F500, you could probably get it done for under $150. All the materials get a lot lighter and cheaper and the welding easier to do.

Liked: 227

I like the idea, but check the weight of your car. My 2-stroke Red Devil would go across the scales at 860-865 lbs. I weigh approx 200. That means the car would exceed the 600 lb capacity of this lift.

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I like the idea, but check the weight of your car. My 2-stroke Red Devil would go across the scales at 860-865 lbs. I weigh approx 200. That means the car would exceed the 600 lb capacity of this lift.

Cory
    Perhaps it may be a incorrect assumption in my case, but considering they say they are certified by OSHA and ASME I would assume that the safety factor of their design would more than cover what may be the minor overloading that would occur with any of our cars. Considering this would be a personal use and not a commercial use there would be no liability issues to anyone other than the user. But again I could be totally wrong which is why I thought I would throw it out there for opinions either way.

I would also add that I think the 1000# lift would be great, but the difference in price is dramatically significant. Although I am not sure why? The funny thing is that it would be cheaper to buy two of the 600# lifts than one of the 1000# lifts. Seems like their price points need re-evaluated.
    Dean
    Last edited by Bubbagsj; 02.04.21 at 9:45 PM.

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagsj View Post
    Perhaps it may be a incorrect assumption in my case, but considering they say they are certified by OSHA and ASME I would assume that the safety factor of their design would more than cover what may be the minor overloading that would occur with any of our cars. Considering this would be a personal use and not a commercial use there would be no liability issues to anyone other than the user. But again I could be totally wrong which is why I thought I would throw it out there for opinions either way.

I would also add that I think the 1000# lift would be great, but the difference in price is dramatically significant. Although I am not sure why? The funny thing is that it would be cheaper to buy two of the 600# lifts than one of the 1000# lifts. Seems like their price points need re-evaluated.
    Dean
    counting on an assumed design safety factor, whether real or not, is Darwinism in the making..

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 95

Default To lift or not to lift

I tried looking for material specks to see what size and wall thickness tubing they use to do a stress analysis but couldn't find any. Looking at the details neither come with a hoist. Better off getting the correct tool for the job. Kind of reminds me of the saying , buy a $100 helmet if your head is only worth $100.

I called the manufacturer today and was told the main beam is 1x3 but the guy I spoke with didn’t know the wall thickness. He also said that they custom make these in longer lengths 10ft. and 12ft. I asked if they lower the lifting spec. then and he said that they up the wall thickness on the main beam material to compensate for the longer length and keep the same lifting capability (he didn’t mention changing anything on uprights). He also said for liability reasons they are rated for 600# and no more, but they are load tested to 950#. Each supposedly has a sticker specifying that attached to them. FWIW, that’s what I got. I thank everyone for their opinions!

Thread Information