Liked: 3279

Default Tip on use of screw-type hose clamps

I posted this on an RX7 forum and thought it might be useful here.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have found that using a light coating of silicon grease between the hose and the hose clamp minimizes the uneven tightening issue one often gets and makes getting a leak-free joint MUCH easier. With the silicon grease one also does not have to tighten the clamp nearly as much to get a leak-free joint as w/o it. The silicon lets the clamp slide over the hose while tightening and minimizes the hose getting "bunched up" near the clamp overlap.

Repeated hose R&R with no lube was a recipe for damaged hoses and leaks. Since using the lube, they last essentially for ever.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.02.21 at 2:14 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 896

Thanks Dave! I never knew this!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 482

Yeah, thx. I have been using a bit on the inside so the hose will release easier but hadn’t considered outside.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Yeah, thx. I have been using a bit on the inside so the hose will release easier but hadn’t considered outside.
    I always use some light-weight rubber lube (eventually absorbs and dries) on the inside to slide the hoses on easier. I don't use silicon lube on the inside because that might want to make the hose slide on the tube after installation.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

That's a great tip. I've also found for hose clamps that are in really hard to get at locations, the best items to use are the OEM spring clamps we all love to hate.

I use those on the connections between the pump and pan. 13 years now and not a single drip. It's almost guaranteed that if you have a leak in one of those connections the motor's coming out.....

Liked: 36

Another tip is go down to your local pull-a-part or equivalent salvage yard and look for old Mercedes, ideally 80's vintage. Each car uses a ton of hose clamps and they're really nice clamps with stamped, instead of cut, teeth so they don't chew up your cables.

Give them a quick clean in boiling water with simple green or purple power added.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 270

For inside lube on install, I usually give a spritz with a spray bottle I have always handy filled with water with just a tiny bit of dish soap - kept for finding air leaks, nails in tires, etc etc... dries out quickly, hardly after the hose goes on, and won't help the hose come off later (for better and for worse!)...

Interested to try the external lube idea...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Norma clamps

Quote Originally Posted by BTennessen View Post
    Another tip is go down to your local pull-a-part or equivalent salvage yard and look for old Mercedes, ideally 80's vintage. Each car uses a ton of hose clamps and they're really nice clamps with stamped, instead of cut, teeth so they don't chew up your cables.

Give them a quick clean in boiling water with simple green or purple power added.

I'm not sure of the brand you'd find on an old Merc, but I have given up using "banded" clamps. My RF90 came with a German brand of clamp, Norma, and they have the stamped teeth. So, no need for an inner band, no issues getting a tight fit quickly. And they have a thinner than normal band on them, so they fit in tight spots better.... I will be buying more of those in the future!

cheers,
    BT

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 270

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand you'd find on an old Merc, but I have given up using "banded" clamps. My RF90 came with a German brand of clamp, Norma, and they have the stamped teeth. So, no need for an inner band, no issues getting a tight fit quickly. And they have a thinner than normal band on them, so they fit in tight spots better.... I will be buying more of those in the future!

cheers,
    BT
    Indeed, and I've always liked Bel-Metric for all the weird metric automotive stuff, including NORMA clamps:
    https://www.belmetric.com/norma-torr...amps-c-15_145/
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BTennessen View Post
    Another tip is go down to your local pull-a-part or equivalent salvage yard and look for old Mercedes, ideally 80's vintage. Each car uses a ton of hose clamps and they're really nice clamps with stamped, instead of cut, teeth so they don't chew up your cables...
    Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand you'd find on an old Merc, but I have given up using "banded" clamps. My RF90 came with a German brand of clamp, Norma, and they have the stamped teeth. So, no need for an inner band, no issues getting a tight fit quickly. And they have a thinner than normal band on them, so they fit in tight spots better.... I will be buying more of those in the future!...
    I use hose clamps with a smooth inner surface (the stamped threads on the band do not go all the way through the band), but I still had issues with the hose bunching up at the overlap. The silicon grease minimized that issue. Link: https://www.mcmaster.com/smooth-band.../hex-size~7mm/
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.02.21 at 12:45 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Indeed, and I've always liked Bel-Metric for all the weird metric automotive stuff, including NORMA clamps:
    https://www.belmetric.com/norma-torr...amps-c-15_145/
    Just put an order in with these guys. Fast. efficient, and a whole lot of metric stuff I never knew i needed! Thanks for the recommendation!

bt

Thread Information