Liked: 99

Default Al Conversion coatings / belly pan

Curious if anyone has experience using an Alodine conversion coating on their belly pans. I've seen a few notes about it in belly pan threads but no results reported. I am hoping to save a few bucks, but will resort to anodizing if it is still superior.

I bought the chemicals from Wick's in an effort to try it. My sample trials so far haven't made a visual change, other than the etch brightener that goes on first. I do not get a tan or gold tint. I am hesitant to trust it on the belly pan without more data.

Thanks
    Brandon
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Liked: 1397

I have used Alodine as a metal prep for the areas of the belly pan that I am bonding to the frame. I tape off the area where the bonding will be done. Sand those areas lightly, just enough to improve the bonding. Than I treat the area with Alodine.

Alodine is a conversion coating that etches the aluminum surface prior to priming and painting. It removes the oxidized layer from an aluminum surface. I don't believe that it will work very well and a substitute for Anodizing.

Liked: 99

Thanks Stephen

So for a belly pan the anodizing still a better treatment?
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Liked: 482

FWIW I used this stuff to prep some wheels before painting. Seemed very good and I liked it because it is it not a caustic substance like others. Almost like soap. Down side is that it takes several scrubs according to the directions. It was worth it to me but YMMV.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...-for-Magnesium

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

alodine is used by itself in a lot of mil-spec parts. I designed and used those parts for years, and although I did a LOT of nickel and copper plating, never paid attention to the alodine process in the shop. It usually produced a deep gold finish.

I alodine my floors, and they get just a little gold at first. you do have to scuff them a bit or the alodine just beads up.

Liked: 942

Default Alodine = Hexavalent Chromium

I used it on some mag wheels for my Zink and some alu parts and it worked well with etch prep. It's chromic acid and ferrocyanide.

It's quite poisonous. Chemical vapor mask, goggles, rubber gloves. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ine1201sds.pdf
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 27

Default Alodine.

Alodine bought Premixed as a fluid is a little on the weak side. It will take up to 15min constantly brushing the solution over the part being treated. An experienced eye will pick when the conversion process has been sucessful. Never let it dry as when it does bite in it will leave streaks etc. The powdered Alodine allows you to mix a stronger solution and you can attain a dark Gold colour easily if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Curious if anyone has experience using an Alodine conversion coating on their belly pans. I've seen a few notes about it in belly pan threads but no results reported. I am hoping to save a few bucks, but will resort to anodizing if it is still superior.

I bought the chemicals from Wick's in an effort to try it. My sample trials so far haven't made a visual change, other than the etch brightener that goes on first. I do not get a tan or gold tint. I am hesitant to trust it on the belly pan without more data.

Thanks
    Brandon

Thread Information