Thread: 494 starter

Liked: 2

Default 494 starter

Is there a mobile starter, that can be used on the 500 engine.
    don’t like pulling that cord if possible.
    thank you

Liked: 51

Quote Originally Posted by Captainrags View Post
    Is there a mobile starter, that can be used on the 500 engine.
    don’t like pulling that cord if possible.
    thank you
    Yes. they have Electic Starters which is what you want if your going to road race the car. You need a Clutch with a Starter Gear, the Starter, & the Mounting Bracket. The pull start recoil has to remain on the engine per the rules and you want the pull starter as a back up.

You want an Electric Starter, so if the the car stalls on track you can restart the car.
    Last edited by sathorp; 01.24.21 at 9:49 PM.

Default Starter

Quote Originally Posted by sathorp View Post
    Yes. they have Electic Starters which is what you want if your going to road race the car. You need a Clutch with a Starter Gear, the Starter, & the Mounting Bracket. The pull start recoil has to remain on the engine per the rules and you want the pull starter as a back up.

You want an Electric Starter, so if the the car stalls on track you can restart the car.
    Thank you for the info. But seems like a lot of work if it includes a manual clutch as well. A portable unit is more like I need.
    I guess I could make something and connect it to the centrifugal clutch side.still working in the dark with all this.
    I've pulled too many out board motors in my time to be doing this on a race car engine getting too old for this.
    thank you.

Liked: 0

Assuming your drive clutch has the starter ring on it, https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ow-mobile.html will work. That's the starter I'm currently using on the same engine. You might have to get a bracket (probably from Q) to mount the starter to the exhaust side of the motor. If you never had an electric starter on you car, your center to center distance may be too short to get the starter pinion between the drive and driven clutch.

One of the reasons an external starter isn't used on these cars is the SCCA rule that you can't start the car with the wheels on the ground without someone in the cockpit. Depending how tight you have your drive belt, the car will gladly walk away from you once you start the engine. The last thing anyone wants to see is a rouge F500 heading down the grid with the driver chasing it.

Default Starter Gear

The Drive Clutch is the existing Clutch that's mounted to the engine. If that existing Drive Clutch is drill & tapped to accept the Starter Gear then you only need the gear that mounts on the back of the Drive Clutch. There is no seperate Manual Clutch that's needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starter Gear.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	96199  
    Last edited by sathorp; 01.25.21 at 12:31 PM.

Photo of how the Starter engages with the Ring Gear on the back of the Drive Clutch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starter.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	96200  
    Last edited by sathorp; 01.26.21 at 10:43 AM.

Liked: 227

To answer your original question, in 26 years of racing F500s I have never seen an external electric starter. Everyone either uses the type of onboard electric starter described above or has someone pull start with the recoil.

I may still have a good used Polaris clutch w/ring gear bored for the Ski-Doo crank that I would be willing to sell.

Cory

Liked: 111

I do have an external starter set to rotate the correct direction (backward from most kart starters) somewhere in my garage. I was kicking around ways to make it work when I quit racing F500.

Electric start the traditional way was just so much easier in the end.

Default Starter

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    I do have an external starter set to rotate the correct direction (backward from most kart starters) somewhere in my garage. I was kicking around ways to make it work when I quit racing F500.

Electric start the traditional way was just so much easier in the end.
    It seem that changing the housing to fit a starter plus the work seem a lot of expense. I was wondering why I could not hook up something on the crank.
    keep in mind I’m still trying to figure this thing out possible I’m way off base bet would be interested in knowing what you had in mind.
    captainrags@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captainrags View Post
    It seem that changing the housing to fit a starter plus the work seem a lot of expense. I was wondering why I could not hook up something on the crank.
    keep in mind I’m still trying to figure this thing out possible I’m way off base bet would be interested in knowing what you had in mind.
    captainrags@gmail.com
    Where on the crank do you want to hook something up? You can't remove or modify the recoil per the rules!

Also keep in mind if you have a mobile external starter that's not onboard the car you will need two
    people every time you start the car. Per the rules if the car's tires are on the ground there must be
    someone in the cockpit when you start the car.
    Last edited by sathorp; 01.28.21 at 10:15 PM.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by sathorp View Post
    Where on the crank do you want to hook something up? You can't remove or modify the recoil per the rules!

Also keep in mind if you have a mobile external starter that's not onboard the car you will need two
    people every time you start the car. Per the rules if the car's tires are on the ground there must be
    someone in the cockpit when you start the car.
    i was going to use a fitting or foam onto the clutch outside face

Go for it.

Liked: 896

Nothing is easier than using all the production bits . Why try to reinvent the wheel?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information