Banned
    Liked: 1116

Default TBO and costs for WC VW Super Vee

Tempted to dip my toe back in the water, talk me out of it.

What's the current TBO with a W/C super vee and typical costs?

When a previous owner has gone too long and some bits are beyond their serviceable limits, what does that look like (parts availability and costs)?

If I twist an engine 500 rpms less than I would have when I thought Roger was watching, approximately how much does that increase TBO?

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Contact Rob Morris or Robert Merritt. Rob was Firestone's chief mechanic and has built a bunch of them for Dennis, Rob, and Vince Tjmelland.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 33

Default WC VW F/SV costs

Daryl,

I have been running a WC 1979 March 79V in vintage events for the last 15 years.
    They are great cars and if maintained properly, they are not much more expensive to run than a FF.

Engine is set up with Bosch/Kugelfischer mechanical injection system.
    I use Carrillo rods and J&E pistons.
    I replace my bottom end bearings every 16-20 hours max.
    I go through the head every 10 hours, cleaning out the carbon and lapping the valves and readjusting the valve lash.
    Every 3 seasons or so, I get the head professionally maintained, usually new guides and a regrind of the seats and valves as needed.
    Rings are replaced as required by leak down tests, usually every 50 hours or so.
    synthetic engine oil is changed every 2 weekends.

We run FC bias ply Hoosier tires, mostly used from the SCCA guys.
    We run very competitively here in the midwest and can usually beat most of the Monoposto1600 FA cars at most tracks.

With that said, we have had a few small engine problems over the years:
    cam lobe/follower failure
    burned an exhaust valve
    cracked piston
    broken flywheel bolts

As Rich mentioned, Rob Morris is a great contact in California for this subject.
    With all the Super Vees that were produced, it's a shame more of them aren't out racing in vintage events.
    They are great racecars!

Regards,
    Fletch
    March 79V
    Fletch
    March 79V

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

IMHO, if someone produced a "Jake" book for the FWV 1600 and 1800s the class could really shine. Hard to find people who can make reliable HP....

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 415

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    IMHO, if someone produced a "Jake" book for the FWV 1600 and 1800s the class could really shine. Hard to find people who can make reliable HP....
    To quote a certain engine builder when speaking of the 1800 Super Vee motors - "you want horsepower, or you want reliability?"
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default "Tempted to dip my toe back in the water, talk me out of it.

Really? I have to admit, I laughed about that line. Like you're easily talked out of ......anything?

cheers,
    BT

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    To quote a certain engine builder when speaking of the 1800 Super Vee motors - "you want horsepower, or you want reliability?"
    Well, I have the book but haven't built a FF motor, but I'd bet motors produced by jakes book are good regional motors, and you need that to keep things going. At least they have a decent parts supply...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    Really? I have to admit, I laughed about that line. Like you're easily talked out of ......anything?

cheers,
    BT
    Ha ha ha. Throwing money into a hole, yes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    I want enough of the former to keep up with the wankers with the big wallets, and enough of the latter to race often enough to be able to do so.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information