Liked: 1

Default Looking for two f5s

Hello,
    im looking to get two f5 cars for road racing my budget is 10k I will be willing to spend 5k on each car so you can send me individual cars your looking to sell in that range. Im ok with them needing a bit of work but they must at least run! please text me what you have at 757-419-9155
    thanks,
    Jeff

Liked: 8

There is a guy that happens to have a pair for sale on racing junk.com
    they are under the road racing section. No, its not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schmidt View Post
    There is a guy that happens to have a pair for sale on racing junk.com
    they are under the road racing section. No, its not me.
    Yeah those don’t run and are also very far from me but thanks

Liked: 227

I agree - the two cars advertised on Racing Junk are truly junk and not worth buying to restore for road racing.

Finding a running road-race F500 for $5k will be difficult but not impossible. Based on your location (I am not too far away in Charlotte), you will also likely have to be flexible on how far you are willing to travel to get a car.

Join the F500/F-Mod group on FB and post your needs there. It's mainly F-Mod guys but more active than this forum.

Good luck and don't give up!

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I agree - the two cars advertised on Racing Junk are truly junk and not worth buying to restore for road racing.

Finding a running road-race F500 for $5k will be difficult but not impossible. Based on your location (I am not too far away in Charlotte), you will also likely have to be flexible on how far you are willing to travel to get a car.

Join the F500/F-Mod group on FB and post your needs there. It's mainly F-Mod guys but more active than this forum.

Good luck and don't give up!

Cory
    I have zero issues shipping the car for the right car. And yeah I’m already on that board that’s how I already knew the two f500s weren’t what I was looking for

Liked: 8

Those 2 cars on RJ may be too far gone for road racing, but they would be just fine for autocross on a budget.

Liked: 95

Default Looking for a car

Just a thought on getting into road racing at your budget. I’m going with the assumption you don’t have much experience in the class or with the cars yet ( I mean no disrespect) . It would help your learning curve to spend some time with someone who already has a car to learn how to service the cars and what needs to be maintained at what intervals. In looking for a car there are a few things to inspect or know the status of the following. How old is the fuel cell, if it is older that 7-8 years there is a chance it will need to be replaced, $800 -$1500. Does it have a transponder, if not you are looking at $300 to $600. fire extinguishing system,(it may have one but is the bottle charged) $350 -$500 belts, $150-$500. Spare rims and rain tires, $1000, (New rims and new tire set). With the 2 stroke cars, the clutches do wear out, you can have them services or replaced,( best guess is $500 to $1200). I’m sure others can refine my estimates if I’m off. If the ones on the car are worn out it will impact your track performance. You may have more into those components on a cheap car that what you spent on it. You may have a better racing experience getting 1 car first that comes with a good package and sharing it until a deal for a second car comes up. If you are new to the cars and servicing 2 cars at the track at once can be a challenging job until you get to know your car.
    There are a few different car manufactures that have different seating positions, some have seats or back rest’s that keep the driver more up right, some are more of a reclined position. If possible try to sit in some of the different cars to see if you like the seating position. For you, the next race where there would be a number of cars to see is probably be the Majors at Atlanta, or the race at VIR in April.
    The people in the F500-F600 group are great group of people and I’m sure would try to help you at the track or on line.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default bought one instead of two

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmith View Post
    Just a thought on getting into road racing at your budget. I’m going with the assumption you don’t have much experience in the class or with the cars yet ( I mean no disrespect) . It would help your learning curve to spend some time with someone who already has a car to learn how to service the cars and what needs to be maintained at what intervals. In looking for a car there are a few things to inspect or know the status of the following. How old is the fuel cell, if it is older that 7-8 years there is a chance it will need to be replaced, $800 -$1500. Does it have a transponder, if not you are looking at $300 to $600. fire extinguishing system,(it may have one but is the bottle charged) $350 -$500 belts, $150-$500. Spare rims and rain tires, $1000, (New rims and new tire set). With the 2 stroke cars, the clutches do wear out, you can have them services or replaced,( best guess is $500 to $1200). I’m sure others can refine my estimates if I’m off. If the ones on the car are worn out it will impact your track performance. You may have more into those components on a cheap car that what you spent on it. You may have a better racing experience getting 1 car first that comes with a good package and sharing it until a deal for a second car comes up. If you are new to the cars and servicing 2 cars at the track at once can be a challenging job until you get to know your car.
    There are a few different car manufactures that have different seating positions, some have seats or back rest’s that keep the driver more up right, some are more of a reclined position. If possible try to sit in some of the different cars to see if you like the seating position. For you, the next race where there would be a number of cars to see is probably be the Majors at Atlanta, or the race at VIR in April.

thats exactly what we ending up doing we bought one solid car with a great history if we want another later on we will upgrade.
    The people in the F500-F600 group are great group of people and I’m sure would try to help you at the track or on line.

Thread Information