Liked: 5

Default ultra sonic cleaners

After years of cleaning parts with kerosene, brake cleaner, gas, all the other assorted stuff, I bought a ultra sonic cleaner thinking it would clean as well as the "pictures" in the ads. Tried the recommended cleaner for oily greasy stuff, didn't work so well. and it "might be harmful to metal parts" [should read more of the directions next time] tried dish soap, not much better.
    Any tips or insight on time, heat and cleaners would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 27

Default Cleaner

I've had good luck with mineral spirits (turpentine if you will). YMMV

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

what were you trying to remove? My go to solvent is mineral spirits, and on occasion I've also used WD 40, brake cleaner, oil eater, and simple green. Usually takes a few ours and maybe some light brushing in the middle.

I o not worry about the water-based stuff, but if you have a reasonably powerful cleaner it can heat a flammable solvent to the point of ignition. keep an eye on it.

Liked: 146

Liked: 597

Yo Hawke
    I get the impression from reading the link you mean one uses the Simple Green manually and not in an ultrasonic cleaner

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Yo Hawke
    I get the impression from reading the link you mean one uses the Simple Green manually and not in an ultrasonic cleaner
    Yo.

Its good in both. Works a treat. I use it to clean the internals of shock absorbers, and it gets all the crap out of pistons, bodies and valves.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default O G here............

gasoline, kerosene hot water and Tide, acetone

Liked: 110

For me, ultrasonic cleaning has always been a disappointment (and never looks like the pictures). The best I have got is with heat (my unit goes to 180F).

Best trick is to put the parts in a sealed plastic bag containing 'some sort of cleaner' and place the bag in the ultrasound just with hot water in it. This gets water based cleaner to work without messing up the bath (and the dirt stays in the bag)..

Note to self, do not try this with flammable solvents that eat plastic when they get hot...

Unfortunately kero etc and a tooth brush is still better.

I've also used a rock tumbler, polishing stones, and simple green to clean small items. You must be patient grasshopper.....

Liked: 5

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions on cleaning solutions. I was hoping to just put oily/greasy parts in, turn it on and walk away, do something else and come back to shiny new looking parts. [just like the pictures] I tried cleaning with kerosene first,
    then into the cleaner and they came out ok. Still a bit of film on them, but not to bad. I guess it's like a dishwasher, scrape and rinse the plates first.....

Thanks again,
    Will

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Vulnavia View Post
    I guess it's like a dishwasher, scrape and rinse the plates first.....
    Unless you have a Bosch. The dirtier the dishes go in, the cleaner they come out! Maybe a dedicated Bosch dishwasher for your greasy parts Ha ha. Kidding about the latter, but not the former.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dish...g-your-dishes/

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default Armour All Tire & Wheel Cleaner

For DGV carbs in a Harbor Fright ultrasonic cleaner, I use Armour All Tire & Wheel Cleaner.

Dump the whole bottle in and then top off with water.

John Mihalich, Jr.

When I build my shop it will have a dishwasher to clean parts, a washer and a dryer for rags, and a stove to heat uprights and such.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

I use mineral spirits in a Dental ultrasonic cleaner........works great....the liquid gets real hot though!!!!

Liked: 110

I have been guilty of scheduling serious workshop jobs around my wife's calendar for when she has 'girls weekends away'. This gives you easy access to the home dishwasher. When used on the hottest setting and double the amount of powder, it is as good if not better than my Ultrasound. And easier.

Try and get all your cleaning done on Saturday so the smells are gone on her return. And never leave parts in the dishwasher that she may find on her return.

Can someone tell me what is in Wheel and Tire cleaner that is so good? I've not heard of that before for carbs etc.

Thread Information