Liked: 6

Default Winkleman Rear Disk question

I have a Winkleman WDF3 and I am trying to figure out what rear disc it uses. The fronts are Spitfire, but the rears have an offset and use spacers. The discs are 4 in on center that is converted to 3 3/4 with the spacers. They appear to be some stock rotor that has been modified. Anyone have any Ideas?

Jay streets
    415 740 8100
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

What dimensions? OD, OD of hat, id of hat (back side and hole), offset back of rotor to either inside or outside of hat, disk thickness....

When I first saw the 4 or 4, figured perhaps Sprite, but doesn't look right from your pics...but might have been modified, too. Yours sort of look like they were reworked on bolt holes or center hole (it's big, almost catching the 4 other holes), but why? Next thought was maybe Fiat...those might be 4 on 100mm (close to 4")... thinking something in late 60's....not that many factory bits to pick from...WD was a US built car...? Corvair?

Really need more info to help find....OD/offset to start... (Vega also used 4 on 4, but likely not...as later date...) I found some Fiesta rotors, with some offset, a while back to use on read disk brake conversion for a FP Midget (old SAAB jobs used by others weren't available or cost way too much....). You may find other, more modern options that could work with a bit of machining....

Not much help...sorry.

Bob L.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Hey Jay, if you find out, let me know! The offset looks very similar to my March!

Even if you find 4x4, redrilling for my 3-3/4 would be easy enough.
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 01.06.21 at 1:06 AM.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

not Corvair---they never had discs

I can't think of anything american of that period with a small rotor

think British...I have a Cortina rotor I can measure if you provide some numbers

at one time I heard that one of the major suppliers (brembo?) had a database listing production car rotors by dimension, but I never found it. Anyone know about that?

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Fiat 124

Thanks for everyones input and thank you Bob for mentioning Fiat. You were the third person that said "maybe Italian" A quick google search for 1960's fiat rotors came up with what I think I need. I will go down to Autozone today and buy a cheap one too check the dimensions. The centers will have to be bored out but from what I see online I think that is the ticket.

Though Winklemans were sold new in Sausalito, California, about 3 Miles from my house as the crow flies, they were built in England by Palliser

Jay Streets

PS, if anyone is interested in a piper, My brother just listed his on Apex speed, Please buy it so I can get it out of my trailer before our season starts.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default Btw

the Winkleman "shop" in Sausalito is now "Drivers Market"

Default not Fiat

Well they aren't Fiat. They certainly have the look of Fiat but the dimensions don't line up. My onset is just over an inch and a half face to face and my discs are 9.75 inches, mine have been modified but Im looking for the road car rotors that they started with

anyone have any ideas?

Jay Streets

A lot of the brake discs on Rock Auto show dimensions.

Since your hubs are 4x4, start looking for late 60's cars with that wheel pattern. On my cars, some things are Triumph Herald, some Spitfire. But both my old cars are 3-3/4
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Fallen Friend

Default Per PCS...

GT6 used a 9.7 dia on front...pretty thick and don't think offset is enough...

Saw Alfa Dueltos used a 9.7 on rear...earlier G/F cars had 10.6 dia on front.... don't know anything about those...

1100 and 1275 Sprites list a 8.2 front... those do have offset that seems close in my recollection......perhaps turn od to fit? These bolt on to hub, separate from studs...different dia. on holes, but could rotate 45 and redrill if hat is big enough...

Think you take a look at 1275 Midget....Moss had some cheap ones..If you don't have any prod folks around to rob....for lookie see.

Bob L.

Jay,
    The Opel GT looks similar to what you have. I got this picture with dimensions from the rockauto.com site. Another site said that Opel wheel pattern was 4x100mm so they aren't 4x4. Looks like enough meat to make it work though. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...02808&jsn=1213
    Garey Guzman

Fallen Friend

Opel gt was 9.37" od. on std frt. disk.

Liked: 146

They look very similar to those on my Hawke DL11. I use rear disks from a Nissan Micra.

Can you post the exact size of disk you need?

Default Coleman

Thanks to everyone.I decide to hav Coleman make some up. Anything I found would have still needed machine work and from them I will get exactly what I need.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Custom-...ild-It-W9.aspx

jay streets

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

Default brake rotors

I heard somewhere that Winkleman was a 'Brabham copy'. So, I looked up some old Brabham Register notes.
    According to one Brabham owner,
    The rear rotors for a 69 Brabham BT29 are from the rear of 69-77 Peugeot 504 and 604 sedan 77-82. That rotor is 11 1/8 x 1/2 x 1. They can be remachined to fit. Of course, it is easier to order new from Coleman than to find a Peugeot 604 or 504!

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 139

Default coleman

Some of Coleman's work.

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information