Liked: 82

Default Why don't I warm up to Willow Springs?

I'm looking at VARAs 2021 schedule and planning my year and I noticed I'm not even considering Willow Springs even though it's a 75 miles closer to me than Buttonwillow.

I race motorcycles at Willow Springs in the 80s and have many fond memories of it but I'm still pretty ambivalent about running there.

The Datsun is so slow that from turn 6 all the way back to turn 1 it's floored but the same can be said of the car at Buttonwillow, it's floored from the exit of the Cotton Corners all the way down to Phil Hill and it's also floored through the esses.

My Formula 500, being 33 years old, is such that your feet are pretty much the first thing to arrive upon the scene so it's not a car in which you want to have a high speed off (as if you want one in any car) but as I raced motorcycles at Willow this seems rather silly.

My favorite corners always seem to be 80-100 mph sweeping bends so I should love Willow Springs but again I'm ambivalent about it.

So someone explain what it is about Willow Spring that they either love or loath because I can't figure out why I haven't warmed up to it.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I did the same thing planning my season - but this year, CalClubs only event at WillowSprings is a divisional. In the past it's held Majors. Not sure why.

Between the rocks and drainage ruts, mistakes are unnecessarily expensive and weekend ending - especially in an open wheel car.

Liked: 268

Default Willow Springs

Obviously has a very long history but is really in need of repaving as the bumps are pretty bad in a hard sprung formula car anyway. Don't know the financial position there but guess it is somewhat on the edge so paving probably not in the cards. Beyond the track condition my biggest negative is the schedule which can have really windy, cold weather in the early spring and late fall events. At least the Lancaster/Palmdale area has improved greatly from the 70's so there are now good hotels and restaurants available. It is too bad Tom Malloy's track was not approved as it would have really improved everything.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I absolutely love Willow Springs though it's not my favorite, I'd take it over Buttonwillow and California Speedway every day of the week.

Much of it may have to do with it being the first big track I ever raced a car on.

I also appreciate tracks that require some fortitude to get right. It's not as technical as most, but it is fast and has plenty of run off room.

There are numerous passing opportunities.

You aren't rewarded by being in second place as you take the white flag.

Yes, you could take a book to read with you in a slow car (I had a FV for awhile) for a good portion of a lap, but that's also true for over a mile of a Cal Speedway lap. Buttonwillow east loop portion is too much like an autocross type track for my liking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    It is too bad Tom Malloy's track was not approved as it would have really improved everything.

^^^ This ^^^ Damn poppies, 3-toed lizard, or whatever the issue was!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 246

I am on the I love it side regarding Willow as a track. Without trying to be sexist it is one of the few tracks that still separates the men from the boys as they say (Daryl’s fortitude). The amenities/ facilities have alway, and still suck, but the track makes up for it. The weather is either hot and windy or cold and windy but the track makes up for it. I do have to agree that over the past 2-3 years the surface and bumps have become a major issue and are starting to degrade the experience. It needs a repave (which I don’t see happening under current ownership) or it may not survive. Hoping a deal can be made to keep the track viable for the future. Todd

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 101

Default willow springs

when a Black widow showed up in my fire suit I said, that's it and that was twenty years ago !

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    ...Between the rocks and drainage ruts, mistakes are unnecessarily expensive and weekend ending - especially in an open wheel car.
    When I was still in Cali, I felt the same way. I can't understand why dragging the big rocks out of the way with a tractor would be so hard. I can live with the dust and heat (same as BW) but the rocks cause unnecessarily excessive damage and ruin weekends for open wheel cars.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tstrong View Post
    I am on the I love it side regarding Willow as a track. Without trying to be sexist it is one of the few tracks that still separates the men from the boys as they say (Daryl’s fortitude). The amenities/ facilities have alway, and still suck, but the track makes up for it. The weather is either hot and windy or cold and windy but the track makes up for it. I do have to agree that over the past 2-3 years the surface and bumps have become a major issue and are starting to degrade the experience. It needs a repave (which I don’t see happening under current ownership) or it may not survive. Hoping a deal can be made to keep the track viable for the future. Todd
    My understanding is the family still owns it. The question is does it cash flow enough to make improvements.

I thought it (Big) was resurfaced a few years ago - but I might be misremembering.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    When I was still in Cali, I felt the same way. I can't understand why dragging the big rocks out of the way with a tractor would be so hard. I can live with the dust and heat (same as BW) but the rocks cause unnecessarily excessive damage and ruin weekends for open wheel cars.
    Because rocks grow like potatoes out there and efforts would prove futile. I'd rather an off end up in me going through a field of rocks than trees or into K-rail.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I thought it (Big) was resurfaced a few years ago - but I might be misremembering.
    A new top coat over most of the track, but didn't resurface/grind down getting rid of bumps.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Because rocks grow like potatoes out there and efforts would prove futile. I'd rather an off end up in me going through a field of rocks than trees or into K-rail.
    If they did they'd be underground and out of my way !

We have that luxury in SoCal of not having to deal with pesky trees - but point taken.

But I agree with Garey though.
    Once rectified, a pass with the tractor once a month would be more than enough to deal with the hazards.

Liked: 82

So one of my coolest racing memories is riding a TZ250 and leaning out over the dirt in turn 8 while traveling along at around 145. The track was bumpy then but at the end of the day I just think it's the layout.......maybe if there were 12 turns instead of nine.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information