Thread: Chuck Yeager

Liked: 536

Default Chuck Yeager

Not a driver, except for the Indy pace car, but as they said in The Right Stuff - "Is that a man? Yeah, you damn betcha it is!"

The world is a little less ballsy tonight. Clear skies, General.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Sir! Do One More Roll for ME

We toast our hearty comrades who have fallen from the sky,
    and were gently caught by Gods own hands to be with him on high.
    To dwell among the soaring clouds they have known so well before,
    f
    rom victory roll to tail chase at heavens very door.

And as we fly among them there, we're sure to hear their plea:

Take care, my friend, watch your six, and do one more roll for me.
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

4. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

If you have not read his biography it is very worthwhile. He was a special talent. My favorite story about him was when his group would take off to meet the German fighters over the water he would start counting planes as soon as he could see them. It would often be in the twenties before anybody else in his group could see one.

In his community in West VA he stated that in a culture of people who could shoot well he was always the best even when only a child.

He grew up helping his father maintain the pipelines including pumps and motors. His mechanical abilities saved his life in planes many times. He knew what every part on the plane did and often could keep them flying when they would have crashed with another pilot.

In WW2 he flew against the germans over France, scoring many kills. He was shot down though and was hidden by the resistance. They then sent him over the Pyranees to return to the US. He was with a small group. They were discovered by the facists though and when they tried to escape a couple of them were killed instantly and another was alive but comatose. Yeager pulled him along in the snow until he could not walk any more, then at a place where the snow disappeared into fog or darkness he let his wounded comrade slide down the mountain. He followed. Miraculously they made it safely. At the bottom he saw a road and was saved. They went back for the other fellow and he survived as well.

His deeds after the war with the speed of sound etc, are equally impressive.

The movie the right stuff is very good too.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Truly, a great American ! He said the country boys who could shoot good made the best fighter pilots. Godspeed.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    If you have not read his biography it is very worthwhile. He was a special talent. My favorite story about him was when his group would take off to meet the German fighters over the water he would start counting planes as soon as he could see them. It would often be in the twenties before anybody else in his group could see one.

In his community in West VA he stated that in a culture of people who could shoot well he was always the best even when only a child.

He grew up helping his father maintain the pipelines including pumps and motors. His mechanical abilities saved his life in planes many times. He knew what every part on the plane did and often could keep them flying when they would have crashed with another pilot.

In WW2 he flew against the germans over France, scoring many kills. He was shot down though and was hidden by the resistance. They then sent him over the Pyranees to return to the US. He was with a small group. They were discovered by the facists though and when they tried to escape a couple of them were killed instantly and another was alive but comatose. Yeager pulled him along in the snow until he could not walk any more, then at a place where the snow disappeared into fog or darkness he let his wounded comrade slide down the mountain. He followed. Miraculously they made it safely. At the bottom he saw a road and was saved. They went back for the other fellow and he survived as well.

His deeds after the war with the speed of sound etc, are equally impressive.

The movie the right stuff is very good too.
    There appears to be a few. Was it his autobiography or a biography someone else did?

Liked: 896

Jack Roush threw a big party one year after the. NASCAR season and. John Glenn was the guest of honor and I had the most marvelous dinner sitting right next to him! We talked for about an hour and he was such a nice guy. but you could really tell that he was one very tough cookie and i am sure that he had heard my awed questions at least a thousand times before but we had an interesting dinner. He looked great for a guy about 80 at the time .

Thanks Jack for the invite!!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 34

I had a chance to spend the evening talking with General Yeager back in the 80's. I was but a teen then. But oh what stories he told. He lead a long and amazing life. Soar high General. Rest in peace.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    There appears to be a few. Was it his autobiography or a biography someone else did?
    This is the one I have : https://www.amazon.com/Yeager-Autobi.../dp/0553256742 It is an autobiography. I think I have read it at least twice. I think I will dig it out and read it again.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    This is the one I have : https://www.amazon.com/Yeager-Autobi.../dp/0553256742 It is an autobiography. I think I have read it at least twice. I think I will dig it out and read it again.
    Just ordered a used copy. THX

Liked: 536

There's a followup to his autobiography called "Press On! Further Adventures in the Good Life."

He was the real deal!

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 648

Read the book. P-51B pilot, shot down over German occupied France. The Underground hid him for quite some time, and eventually, he was safely returned to the Allies. Traditionally, Escape and Evade personnel were not allowed to return to combat, but he raised so much hell with Ike, they allowed him return to his Squadron on full combat flight status.

Also, his shoot-downs are attributed to his 20/10 vision.
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information