Thread: Where to begin?

Liked: 4

Default Where to begin?

Hi, I am interested in getting started in formula racing. I was considering building my subaru sti for track nights, but cost wise it might be cheaper to run formula first or formula vee from what I am seeing. I have done a few autox in the subaru and that is about all the experience I have so far.

I def want to crew for someone this upcoming summer to get some experience. I am from NY, so what is the most popular class in my area? And eventually I want to get my competition license and get a car.

Any help would be appreciated in getting me started, thanks!

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 536

Where you are, I'd suggest a 1/2 day formula car class at Bertil Roos at NJMP. $600 and you get two 20-minute sessions plus classroom in a former Barber Dodge car. If you like it, you can take the other half day or go for a licensing class, You'll either scare yourself and and realize it ain't for you, or get amazingly hooked and have to go racin!

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 98

Those are certainly two of the less expensive classes to run. Check out the costs of 27 classes in this spreadsheet.

Greg

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

The NE is a great place for Formula Vee. You can tow the FV on a lightweight open trailer with your STI. Absolutely awesome class to learn racing and racecraft. If you can be fast in a FV, you'll be fast in most anything.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by SnowmanX34 View Post
    Hi, I am interested in getting started in formula racing. I was considering building my subaru sti for track nights, but cost wise it might be cheaper to run formula first or formula vee from what I am seeing. I have done a few autox in the subaru and that is about all the experience I have so far.

I def want to crew for someone this upcoming summer to get some experience. I am from NY, so what is the most popular class in my area? And eventually I want to get my competition license and get a car.

It's worth noting that with a formula car, you basically have to go road race it. There are nearly no non-competitive events that will allow you to attend in an open wheel car. I mention this because "track nights" and similar events are simply not options in a car like this, so you need to have the willingness and ability to pay the costs associated with getting a race license and running full race weekends or you will not be able to drive the car.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Where you are, I'd suggest a 1/2 day formula car class at Bertil Roos at NJMP. $600 and you get two 20-minute sessions plus classroom in a former Barber Dodge car. If you like it, you can take the other half day or go for a licensing class, You'll either scare yourself and and realize it ain't for you, or get amazingly hooked and have to go racin!
    I've done a subaru autox at stafford motor speedway in ct. Didn't push it too hard since it was my first time being on track and it was my ride home. I checked out Bertil Roos seems like a decent place and I could get the full license through them. But $4,400 for the 3-day racing school is a lot. Might just have to bite the bullet, unless I get my own car.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    The NE is a great place for Formula Vee. You can tow the FV on a lightweight open trailer with your STI. Absolutely awesome class to learn racing and racecraft. If you can be fast in a FV, you'll be fast in most anything.
    I also have a tundra that I got to tow the sti and for overlanding. But yeah the sti could totally tow a fv, haha. I figured start out with fv or fst to get the hang of it and progress from there if I am any good.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Your already on the right track asking about Formula Vee.
    The Challenge Cup Series is Based in NY .
    Also NE FV group runs at all the area tracks around you.
    Both groups can help you with Licenses .
    The beauty of the Challenge Cup is they run with
    only Vees on a spec tire and have lower entry fees and
    more track time than a traditional SCCA weekend .
    Look at the prices of Vees in the FV secition and you
    will see some of the prices.
    Challenge Cup site is at the end of this site under clubs.
    Good Luck

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    It's worth noting that with a formula car, you basically have to go road race it. There are nearly no non-competitive events that will allow you to attend in an open wheel car. I mention this because "track nights" and similar events are simply not options in a car like this, so you need to have the willingness and ability to pay the costs associated with getting a race license and running full race weekends or you will not be able to drive the car.

-Mark
    That is a good point. I should probly do an hpde in the subaru first and take it from there. But I figured if I am at this point might as well go all in. What is the point of being on a track and not actually racing it right? How long is the race license good for? Does it ever expire?

And thanks everyone for the replys, super helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by veeten View Post
    Your already on the right track asking about Formula Vee.
    The Challenge Cup Series is Based in NY .
    Also NE FV group runs at all the area tracks around you.
    Both groups can help you with Licenses .
    The beauty of the Challenge Cup is they run with
    only Vees on a spec tire and have lower entry fees and
    more track time than a traditional SCCA weekend .
    Look at the prices of Vees in the FV secition and you
    will see some of the prices.
    Challenge Cup site is at the end of this site under clubs.
    Good Luck
    Ok so I am getting that in the NE, FV is the way to go? Does scca run multiclass events? Cause that would be the worst getting passed by the higher classes, and probly not the safest either. Challenge cup seems cool too as well as scca.

And yeah I was looking through what was for sale. It's about the same amount I would have to put into the subaru to get it prepped for the track. So it seems to be within budget.

Liked: 3787

On August 2, 2004 I wrote this post in response to someone who wanted to get started... It still applies. (note: 16 years ago I didn't type in purple font.)

It is sooo tempting to be my normal smartass self on a Monday, but...

Since you are over 21. And you have posted in the correct forum, under the correct heading, you're ready.

Buy a lot of caffine and sit back and start reading all the archived posts from the last 4 years in this section called "Getting Started". In a few evenings you'll be amazed how much you will have learned and as an extra bonus, you'll pick up the lingo. Once you've done the reading and got the lingo, you'll be posting serious informed questions which will get many good informative answers from formula car experts (just ask Carnut 169, he was about the most question asking newbie we ever put up with).

The site also has a search engine that works pretty good. But it may be a little early to start using it.

You will find a virtual fortune in information in the archives of this site. Much of the valuable insight is written by multi-time national champions, and a few wackos such as yours truly. The great guys that take time to type out the good stuff don't want to re-type it every week for each newbie. So dig in, start reading.

If you think that reading the archives is hard. Let me be the first to tell you it will be the easiest thing you will do in this sport.

And to quote GT1Vette, "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it."

To properly cover my bases. Just in case you have $200K+ USD ready to spend... skip all that hard reading and get a hold of me direct. I'll have you in a car this weekend.

18. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

That is a good point. I should probly do an hpde in the subaru first and take it from there. But I figured if I am at this point might as well go all in. What is the point of being on a track and not actually racing it right? How long is the race license good for? Does it ever expire?
    Last question first.

In my part of the world, once you have a senior licence, you can keep it as long as you race at least once ever couple of years.

It does need to be renewed every year, however.

But you're also right, I think:

I LOVE the racing.

Driving fast around a track... ...it's fun.

But it is NOTHING LIKE RACING.

Get your licence, first.

Then... ...rent a couple of different cars in a couple of different classes. Then decide on what class you want to race. And Formula Vee is a terrific class to learn in. You are forced to carry speed through corners where driving cars that have more power-to-weight might fool you into thinking you're doing well when you're not.

I give that advice, knowing full well that I completely ignored it myself. I came back from my Skip Barber 3-day racing school, and despite a first idea of getting a Spec Miata, when I realize that I could get an Formula Ford, I never hesitated for a moment. I did do my first couple of race weekends in an FV before my FF was ready to go, though.

Do it. Whatever "it" is as long as "it" is racing wheel to wheel.

You will never regret it.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

Don't count out the F500 guys, there is quite a few in the tristate area as well as having Mike Q local for chassis repairs, modifications, builds. plus they can run in autocross just as well as road racing.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

If Racing with several different classes concerns you then SCCA may not work.
    Over the years open wheel has been combined in several ways.
    Non wing FV,F500 FF. about 10=12 seconds speed difference.
    Winged F2000, F Atlantic and P1 P2.
    Unfortunately in the south all of these class are combined at some races.
    So the way to go single class racing is FRP with Challenge Cup
    Or N.E. FV which has the numbers to get a stand alone race groups
    running under SCCA sanction.
    Advantage Motorsports has rentals FVs for both series .
    Keep looking at all the options

Liked: 268

Default where to go

One of the benefits of running in combined classes where some are considerably faster is that you can get used to your mirrors which is very important especially with open wheel cars. There are lots of people that have never learned this and the results can end up bad at worst and embarrassing at best. I would suggest FF as it gives you a reliable car with reasonable power and the adjustability in the chassis to learn how to make handling adjustments all the way up to much faster cars.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

We need a sticky for this: (all assumes pre or post pandemic)

First - as far as crewing, you have Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Pocono in your range, with Palmer, Thompson New Jersey and New Hampshire in the outer circle. Find the NEFV Facebook page and get on along with the Challenge Cup so you know where and when we are racing - we always have space on someone's crew to let you in.

Second - Start putting together safety gear - what you have even for a helmet might not be good enough. Starting from scratch the absolute minimum to budget is around $1300, and that is going with closeouts, old models and minimum specs on the racing suit. Now is a good time to pick up bargains on people retiring or getting out of racing. Don't forget the HANS and arm restraints. A more realistic budget would be $1800 if buying new and of course the sky is the limit. (note if you go to a professional school they will supply for the school.)

Third - Buy, Rent or Professional School. The 64 thousand $ question. If the pro schools were about 1/2 to 2/3rds what they are today I would say it is a no brainer. You can get deals buy being on standby if your personal schedule allows it. You have several people/companies that will rent a car for an SCCA school and do not forget the NEFV open wheel driving experience, usually held in August. If you buy a car, try to buy one as it comes off the track, not in a basket, no matter how tempting the price.

Fourth - Budget for tow vehicle - with FV and F5 you can use a 12 ft U-Haul and even rent a tow vehicle - of course if you rent this is not an issue

Fifth - if not independently wealthy - save, save, save. Even FV which is an inexpensive class can have surprises - better to have a nest egg at the beginning of the season than saving race to race.

There is a strong Autocross group in NE - look up MoHud Region for local events if you go that way.

ChrisZ

26. The following 4 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Re: schools

Pro schools will teach you skills.

Club Schools will emphasize safety/awareness and procedures

Don't confuse "experiences" with pro schools.

You will spend less buying a very good FV, buying required safety equipment and doing a dozen races than the STI costs, so you could always sell the STI and buy yourself a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and an open trailer.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

If you want to be ready for open wheel racing try kart racing first. From Economy racing in Briggs LO 206 to 100+ mph shifters, no better way to start. You can race a 206 for a couple of hundred dollars per weekend or a couple of thousand to be competitive in 2 strokes. Coming out of TAG karts to my FC at the age of 60 was easy. Things happen very fast in karts. It's open wheel. It's an intense, contact sport. Karting teaches you the respect you need to race close in open wheel Formula cars or.... Jump into a Formula car and be quick if you've got the genetics & cash. Caution !! It's more addicting than..... fill in the blank !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information