Liked: 104

Default Head And Neck Restraint

Now that I am crawling out of my cave to race again I am faced with using a head & neck restraint for the first time. What seems to be the best one with the maximum ability to move the head about? Cheap would be nice too (ok, value priced) Even used would work.....
    Thanks!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I may be old fashioned but have used a HANS since before they were required.

Has saved me from potential injury at least twice.

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Default Simpson Hybrid

John, I like my Simpson Hybrid. I originally got it because I was instructing a lot and it was reported to have a tiny bit of function in cars without full harnesses. That is moot now because I don’t instruct anymore but I still like it. Seems less bulky. And it may have some sideways impact support (not sure if current testing supports that fact). But, I’ve never tried anything else so I can’t compare, I can only say I like it.

You are welcome to stop by and take it for a while to try on.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simps...20(Feb28_2020)

Liked: 121

Your seating position may change due to a h&n restraint. If you can try various ones out prior to purchase, you may save some grief.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    Your seating position may change due to a h&n restraint. If you can try various ones out prior to purchase, you may save some grief.
    Very true - I had to move my seating position forward ~3/4" to allow the HANS to locate correctly. That, in turn, required moving the steering wheel and the shift lever the same amount.
    Dave Weitzenhof

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Very true - I had to move my seating position forward ~3/4" to allow the HANS to locate correctly. That, in turn, required moving the steering wheel and the shift lever the same amount.
    In my current car, I switched from a Hans to a Necksgen so I didn't have to move forward as I'm already tight on legroom.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

If you are a bigger guy, or tight in your car, have a deep chest, or short neck, etc ..... you should borrow different brands and try them in your car. The Simpson hybrid is the only one of the 4 that I tried, that would even allow me to race a formula car. You may need to change belts or trim the bottom of your helmet for clearance. My ability to drive competitively was severely compromised. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky people who don't find it a big deal.
    Last edited by problemchild; 12.06.20 at 9:50 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 1112

I've noticed that F1 guys still mostly use variants of the original HANS. That said, I just bought a NecksGen because my new seating position is too upright for my trusty old 30 degree HANS. Stay tuned for the sale price....
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Nexgen question

As I returned back to driving, I was pointed in the direction of a Nexgen. I have a Crossle 35. Do they make a variant for formula cars as compared to a sit up car? I cannot get comfortable with the neck device and upon returning to the pits, it is askew.

Frank

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    If you are a bigger guy, or tight in your car, have a deep chest, or short neck, etc ..... you should borrow different brands and try them in your car. ....
    This is critical. You need to not only try different brands, but different models within brands. Years ago when I bought my HANS, I tried one and it was awful. Fortunately, the rep at the track had a different model (different angle) and it made the difference between being unusable and being comfortable.

Dave

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    As I returned back to driving, I was pointed in the direction of a Nexgen. I have a Crossle 35. Do they make a variant for formula cars as compared to a sit up car?
    There is very little structure in the back of the NecksGen c/w a regular HANS, so angle doesn't matter. Having a good headrest in your Crossle' may therefore become more important.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    There is very little structure in the back of the NecksGen c/w a regular HANS, so angle doesn't matter. Having a good headrest in your Crossle' may therefore become more important.
    I've been told you may get more lateral restraint with the NexGen.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    I've been told you may get more lateral restraint with the NexGen.
    So they say. The tether geometry would seem to do that. I believe the Simpson folks could say the same though I haven't looked closely.

The comfort is clearly better, with less need for gel pads over the clavicle.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 268

Default head and neck

My car has a very small cockpit with very limited shoulder and arm movement and having used a 30 degree Hans device I found it limiting and before the lips were added to it the shoulder harness belts would slip off of it which could never be good. I ended up with the Nextgen device with 2" shoulder harness belts which helped in two ways, one the 2" version gave me more mobility in the shoulder area and two allowed me to sit back a little farther making the cockpit more comfortable. The shorter length of the arms also helped with helmet clearance as before the hardware and belts being raised by the longer arms raised all of that up interfering with the helmet. It is important the hardware does not interfere with the bottom of the helmet.

Liked: 536

Anyone have any experience with the Zamp restraint? Good price, very adjustable and SFI cert. I'm kind of leaning there, plus it's a local company, I can kick someone if I get killed.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    As I returned back to driving, I was pointed in the direction of a Nexgen. I have a Crossle 35. Do they make a variant for formula cars as compared to a sit up car? I cannot get comfortable with the neck device and upon returning to the pits, it is askew.

Frank
    Frank, do you have the right Necksgen to match your belts? There are different versions for 2" and 3" shoulder belts. Unless they are mismatched I don't see how it could become askew.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    John, I like my Simpson Hybrid. I originally got it because I was instructing a lot and it was reported to have a tiny bit of function in cars without full harnesses. That is moot now because I don’t instruct anymore but I still like it. Seems less bulky. And it may have some sideways impact support (not sure if current testing supports that fact). But, I’ve never tried anything else so I can’t compare, I can only say I like it.

You are welcome to stop by and take it for a while to try on.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simps...20(Feb28_2020)
    The design of the Simpson Hybrid allows it be used with virtually any seating position from extreme laydown to bolt upright - without having to purchase something that has a different angle from what you already have.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    The design of the Simpson Hybrid allows it be used with virtually any seating position from extreme laydown to bolt upright - without having to purchase something that has a different angle from what you already have.
    Since I don’t have comparisons, I’m sorta avoiding singing praises of the Hybrid (Sport) too much but this is my experience too. GTL car, vintage GT, vintage classic mini, and prod car all with different mounting points and seat positions and now FC. Worked for each situation.

Liked: 246

I have a 30 degree Hans and it works fairly well in my car but you do have to get things situated (Seating position, belts, headrest, helmet clearance, etc) correctly. Necksgen and the new Schroth are the two I would be looking at. Suitable for most seating positions and less Limitations than the Hans. Friend just bought the Scroth and it is very nice and easier to fit in tight cockpits than the Hans. Todd

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Zamp restraint? Good price, very adjustable and SFI cert. I'm kind of leaning there, plus it's a local company, I can kick someone if I get killed.
    I have one. Many adjustments to fit a multitude of angles, bodies, cars. Very comfortable. Haven't done a head on into concrete wall so can't give testimony to strength. Be sure to follow all assembly instructions. Perhaps a bit of blue loctite once all adjustments have been made ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information