Liked: 0

Default Question on wheels/rims for Stohr WF1

I have a Stohr WF1 (older one that went through full upgrade/conversion) and looking to get a third set of rims for rain tires. Had a few questions to ask so figured i'd try our forum knowing i'd get some answers back.

1. Any good sources you can recommend for used rims/wheel sets?
    2. Best places to turn to for new set of rims/wheels?
    3. I know there are some manufacturer options out there, what are the recommended manufacturers and why?
    4. Having not purchased rains yet for this car, wanted to confirm if sizing was typically kept in line with dry tires (car has Hoosiers (front = 20.0 x 7.5 - 13) and rear (22.5 x 10.0 - 13))

Thanks
    Bill

Liked: 231

Hi Bill,

I think if you are considering new, Jongbloed is the manufacturer of choice. I've bought 2 sets now and Ryan is good to deal with, the price is reasonable, and I really like the product.

While the historical size has always been 13x8 front and 13x10 rear, I believe a number of cars have gone to a 13x9 front (myself included). It is relatively painless to fit, only a little minor trimming needed on my car, and helps with front end grip.

If you are considering a new set, perhaps consider a new set of 13x9, 13x10.5s and then move one of your existing sets to rain tire duty?

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Great and thanks for the input as well Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    If you are considering a new set, perhaps consider a new set of 13x9, 13x10.5s and then move one of your existing sets to rain tire duty?
    Mark, what size tires are you running on the wider wheels? I'm in the same boat - looking for at least 2 sets of wheels and would then use the set of BBS I have for rains.

I run two different tires:

Hankook C92 Compound (F4 spec tire) in 180/550R13 (8-9” front rim recommended) and
    Pirelli Ultra Soft Compound in 200/540R13 (7-9” front rim recommended)

I know there are a number of road racers running more traditional tires also on the 9” rims.

Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

This is a front Hankook mounted up - nice and square.

-Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118387842_10160168368238448_8247046797516825568_n.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	95342  
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 5

Default Wheel size selection

I believe you are auto crossing the car so it raises some interesting questions with regard to wheel size, temp, tire pressure and set up. If my assumptions are wrong please let me know.

What is the tire temp after an auto cross run? 30 minute race we are running 110 f on R25 Hoosiers on reg Stohr tire widths. On a cold NW day much less. Always test for across the tire temps.

I suspect not getting much tire temp at all if any in auto cross..

In your autocross class are you allowed to run tire warmers? I am a road racer so we could .

I would think you could run some very interesting setups on a tight autocross track set up that would be crazy on a road course such as Pacific, Portland or the Ridge. I am specifically referring to tire wear on soft tires. Raises the question of durometer reading of the tires you use? Compared to Durometer readings on other tires such as the usual road course tires Hoosier R25 and R35?

Set up exceeding normal in road racing for toe out, negative camber and maybe caster. Some interesting things to play with in auto cross especially at Mission..

By the way if your car meets the ICSCC GSR which it probably does and I assume you have your racing license you could participate in ICSCC events once the border is open. IRDC always has group for Test and Tune at Pacific for open wheel and sports racers at $190. Usually 4 30 minute sessions. Not familiar with Missions TNT schedule.

Hi there,

I don't do any autocross with this car - my preferred venues are hillclimb and time trials.

The Pirellis are ultra soft UK hillclimb tires and wouldn't be appropriate for anything road racing.

However, the Hankooks are literally the spec F4 USA championship tire for the Ligier F4 cars - they run the same sized wheels/tires we do and are the same weight. They are my tire for time attack events where I will be on track for up to 20 minutes at a time.

I run a normal road race alignment and setup given that the time attack events take place on tracks such as Mission, the Ridge, etc.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 5

Default wheels and rims for Stohr

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    Hi there,

I don't do any autocross with this car - my preferred venues are hillclimb and time trials.

The Pirellis are ultra soft UK hillclimb tires and wouldn't be appropriate for anything road racing.

However, the Hankooks are literally the spec F4 USA championship tire for the Ligier F4 cars - they run the same sized wheels/tires we do and are the same weight. They are my tire for time attack events where I will be on track for up to 20 minutes at a time.

I run a normal road race alignment and setup given that the time attack events take place on tracks such as Mission, the Ridge, etc.

Cheers,
    Mark

Mark

Would be interesting what your before and after run tire temps and tire pressures are on both the Hillclimb tires and time trial tires. I don't know the total time for your hill climbs but doubt if it generates much heat in the tire to really get it to work as well as in the time trials events. Again durometer readings for both tire sets would be useful both before and after a run.

I can expect 6-7 lb. increase in tire pressure for a 30 minute race, due to heat generation . In a 20 minute time trial you should be able to get up to heat. In short events with little heat generation in the tires, tire pressure IMO would be critical.

Racerex1

Thread Information