Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Been a few decades since I read about this, so some details may be off.

In the old pro FA series, Hurley Haywood days, lots of the cars were towed on open trailer behind big station wagons. They had a race one weekend out somewhere around Vancouver, and the next weekend in Quebec City. Long damned drive between the 2 that you cannot do legally in the time allowed. A big train of wagons and trailers going 100+ across Canada to get there in time, and without anyone having a problem. Would have loved to see the looks on other travelers faces when that train blew by them!
    Cool! That's got to have been at Westwood for the Vancouver end of the drive.

I remember my step-dad, Max, had a work friend who raced Formula B ca. 1968–1972(?), when our family was heading out to Mosport to watch the F1 and Can-Am races. Max would sometimes drive with Bill (no, not Bill Brack) to and from the races and I think he helped out in the paddock at least with the loading and unloading.

Bill towed his Chevron (I think it was a Chevron; it's been a very long time) on an open trailer behind some full-size station wagon of that era, and I will always remember Max telling the story of them getting stopped by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) for speeding. The officer walked up to the door, informed Bill that he'd been pacing them at 78mph (the speed limit was 70 back then) and that he had observed that Bill's speed never wavered by more than a mile per hour or so, so if he would kindly keep it to 75, he could go on his way.

Fun looking back at some of the info from https://www.oldracingcars.com while trying to remember Bill's last name. I ran across Bruce Jensen, who was a good friend my dad-dad for many years... ...and I saw Doug Brenner's name, whom I assume is the same Doug Brenner I've read of on here.

Liked: 536

Bill Brack - now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. People used to say he was a gear cruncher, but by God he won races.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information