Thread: Garage Space

Liked: 104

Default Garage Space

Looking for recommendations and/or ideas. While it is not immediate, eventually I will be selling my house and probably renting somewhere yet to be determined.
    What scares me the most is to be suddenly without garage and shop space. Other than tending to my 3 plus acres, my best leisure moments are spent rebuilding my Reynard. Once done with it I will want to replace it with another project.
    I don't have any other hobbies that I like or are any good at. I also have indicated to the spouse that boredom can yield to homicidal tendencies quickly.
    Anyone else faced this? If I could find a garage or shop space to rent I could continue working on cars. I don't know if the standard storage facility will allow working on a car while it is stored there. Ideas?

Thanks

Liked: 1112

An offfsite place to work is at best a compromise. Plus, the spouse will inevitably have little ideas, besides your own interests, about what you could do there on short notice. Isn't that true now?
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 536

Something like this?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/prk/...225153608.html

Out west here, that would probably be $1000 a month.

Liked: 157

Default Keep looking. You might be pleasantly surprised

Not near you but driving around my town one day I found that the guys renting the big commercial spaces had also added high ceiling single car bay units behind the one office building they rent. just six units in a row. $200/month including electricity in one of the priciest real estate counties in the US. You never know

Steve

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 68

John,
    Maybe consider this place:
    https://www.zillow.com/b/the-residen...bus-oh-5h66KL/

55 and over condo community, all 2br, 2 bath units sub $200K with garages available (deeded separately). At least one car guy and severl "tinkerers" I've seen in the garages (my mother in law is there). I've got karts stored in her garage now, had other race cars stored there for a while. Very few attached garages, we gt one with her condo and they are great!
    Craig Butt

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I've had cars & trucks stored in standard storage rentals. And every place has had several other cars there as well. Every unit was set up as a mini man cave. Nothing fancy, but a decent shop for low dollars. 10 x 20 minimum. roll the car out when you need more floor space. Drag, road race, collector, sports cars & karts !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 104

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    I've had cars & trucks stored in standard storage rentals. And every place has had several other cars there as well. Every unit was set up as a mini man cave. Nothing fancy, but a decent shop for low dollars. 10 x 20 minimum. roll the car out when you need more floor space. Drag, road race, collector, sports cars & karts !
    This was what I was thinking. Along as there electric to it.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Any storage space I have ever rented, had very specific rules about not working in the unit, and had strict access times. I am sure there are some commercial units that ignore those rules, and may even have insurance that allows it, but I would certainly be looking for a private area where your landlord was enthusiastic about your activity, rather than tolerating it. I have some Modified friends that rent a very nice barn ..... I expect the farmer would pay them to keep their cars there, if they ever wanted to move.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 65

I rebuilt my first VW Scirocco in a 10x20 storage place 30ish years ago. I had to call around to find a place that would allow it. Most wouldn't. I would leave work in the afternoon, wrench for a few hours, then headed home to the apartment. Electricity was a screw into the light socket adapter. Limited what I could run of it. There were others who stored cars there and also a garage band down a few storage units. They would change words to songs. Instead of Born to be Wild, it was "Born to be WHITE!"... um.. you never know what kind of neighbor you might get. Thankfully my appearance seemed acceptable to them, they didn't come near me, I didn't go be social with them and I finished the car up and got out of there. Garage space I can work on whatever I want inside it has been a requirement ever since.

Some apartment and condo rentals have garage space but most HOA and rental agreements seem to limit what you can do. Usually nothing but park a car or store stuff in the garage. They don't want the liability or complaints from your neighbors. Might contact members of the local SCCA region to see if anyone has space or knows a place you can rent for car work.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    Greg's right about the rules, but so many of these units are now unmanned, you'd likely not get hassled.
    For power, buy one of the old fashioned adapters that screws into the ceiling light socket in place of the bulb, and now you have 15amp power :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    I screwed in a light bulb adapter with an outlet built in. I have a generator if I need more power & an inverter on the F350
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information