Liked: 2

Default Another Puck Question (canister type)

Hi All:

With the canister style the puck is mounted between two aluminum washers which are held together by a bolt and nut. How tight should the initial compression on the puck be? It seems to me that if it's too tight part of the suspension "travel" will be lost. Thoughts?

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
    Hi All:

With the canister style the puck is mounted between two aluminum washers which are held together by a bolt and nut. How tight should the initial compression on the puck be? It seems to me that if it's too tight part of the suspension "travel" will be lost. Thoughts?
    For Red Devil shocks, which have the puck turned on its side, there is compression but not too much. It's not adjustable so I never measured it. I suppose that some people may be able to compress them by hand for assembly, but I always used a vise or c-clamp.

I had a KBS for a short time and don't remember those being adjustable either.

Cory

Thanks Cory. I've always been curious what that setup looked like: you wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you?

Liked: 28

I will be rebuilding my canisters this weekend, I will take some photos to show the KBS style.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1121201221.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	95046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1121201221a.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	95047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1121201221b.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	95048  

7. The following members LIKED this post:

That certainly looks interesting... can you describe the operation please? Is the puck still compressed during suspension motion?

yes. I apply a small amount of preload so at full droop, the cone is still applying some pressure to the rubber puck. As the suspension travels up, the cone deforms the puck, this compression then will provide rebound when the suspension lowers. I also have friction washers on the bell crank so the rebound is controlled to some degree.

For fun, here's what one of mine looked like. The rubber was kind of beat up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F500 Canister.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	95099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F500 Inside Canister.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	95100  

Thread Information