Liked: 536

Default Time Trials for Open Wheel & SRs

How about opening up the Time Trials program to formula and sports racer classes? It's essentially like the old Solo 1 series, I think it would be more interesting with Solo 2 classifications like FM, CM, BM and AM added.

Any interest from the crowd?

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

I'm not sure if you have seen these, the supplemental regional classes:

If Regions run under National Events Classing, and include a non-production class for Unlimited Category vehicles, it is recommended that Regions run the suggested classes for Formula Cars, Sports Racers and Specials.
    1. Time Trial Special (TTS)
    For any open wheel, sports racer or other vehicle which doesn’t fit into any other class. Cars must meet safety requirements for SCCA HillClimb or GCR.
    2. Time Trial Atlantic (TTA):
    SCCA Road Race legal Formula Atlantic cars, Formula B/1000 cars, P1 and P2.
    3. Time Trial Winged (TTW):
    Time Trial Winged. SCCA Legal Formula Continental/F2000, Star Formula Mazda, Formula Enterprise, Sports 2000.
    4. Time Trial Non-Winged (TTN):
    SCCA Legal Formula F, Formula 500, Solo Vee, SRF3.
    5. Time Trial V (TTV): TTV:
    SCCA Legal Formula Vee, Formula First, SRF.

https://timetrials.scca.com/pages/unlimited-category
    I would think that would capture things pretty well - given how few open wheel cars are likely to participate, I expect the appetite to add more classes would be pretty limited. If the border is open next year, I'll be running the Ridge weekends but I will be racing with Global Time Attack which share the weekend rather than SCCA given that it's not a regional only class there.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Well that's cool! No, I hadn't seen that. It would be nice if Pacific, PIR and The Ridge all had it. I was looking at GTA rules a while back and didn't see anything about open wheel.

The border better get open, I have to pick up a car there, dang it

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Well that's cool! No, I hadn't seen that. It would be nice if Pacific, PIR and The Ridge all had it. I was looking at GTA rules a while back and didn't see anything about open wheel.

The border better get open, I have to pick up a car there, dang it
    The 2021 SCCA Time Trials dates are out:

2021 Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour Powered by Hagerty:
    March 13-14: VIRginia International Raceway, Alton, VA
    April 10-11: Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, CA
    May 22-23: Eagles Canyon Raceway, Decatur, TX
    June 10-13: Tire Rack Time Trials Nationals, NCM Motorsports Park, Bowling Green, KY
    July 3-4: Palmer Motorsports Park, Palmer, MA
    July 17-18: GingerMan Raceway, South Haven, MI
    July 24-25: Ridge Motorsports Park, Shelton, WA
    November 6-7: Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA (tentative)

There is no Pacific or Portland in the schedule either way.

As for GTA - I will be in Pro/Comp which is the only class that does not require the car to start as a production sedan. Mine is a sports racer - I chose this specifically so that I would be able to run on track more easily with sedans in a time attack setting such as this one. They have said they will allow me to run - you'd have to ask I imagine on an open wheel formula car.

-Mark

2020 Pro/Comp

1.Pro/comp was created for a truly open, “anything goes” class that nearly any 4 wheeled vehicles can compete in with very few and minor rules for cars not eligible for the traditional GTA classes.
    2.Any chassis may be used that has adequate driver protection including rollover, side impact and 5+ point harnesses accepted by GTA Staff.
    3.All vehicles must have a fire suppression or an extinguisher within the driver's reach.
    4.Minimum wheelbase of 70”
    5.Minimum Track width of 55”
    6.Engine, suspension, brakes, gear box, and aero are open.
    7.All Pro/Comp Class Cars must use the Yokohama Advan A052 or Yokohama AdvanA005 tires.
    8.All vehicles must have at least one functional brake light.
    9.All drivers must wear fire retardant drivers suit and safety gear
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 17

Time Trials Nationals (TTNats) events don't allow open wheel or sports racers. As it has always been, Regions can choose whether or not to allow them. Most Regions don't allow them simply because they won't mix production cars and OW/SR and there's not enough entries to give OW/SR their own group. I've been told a few times if I can get 10 OW/SR together they'll accommodate a run group.

Thread Information