Liked: 80

For Sale [FS] 1 of 2 made 1983 Van Diemen Formula Super Vee, #694

Car make: Van Diemen
    Car model: 1983 Van Diemen RF83, Serial Number 694
    Class: Formula Super Vee with water-cooled 1.6 liter Bertils
    Condition: Excellent
    Roller or turnkey: Roller

HISTORY
    This is one of two Van Diemen Super Vees special ordered to campaign in the 1983 Robert Bosch/VW Super Vee Championship Series. Both cars were subsequently sold to SCCA drivers in 1984. This car has made numerous appearances at SCCA Midwest and Central Division race events, including the June Sprints and SCCA Runoffs, until 2005. It is believed to be the only surviving 1983 Van Diemen Super Vee, the sister car having been converted to a Pinto-powered Formula Continental in 1994.

This car has been restored as close to original configuration as could be achieved, except for the quad Lectron 40 carburetors, which are too old and worn out to be functional. Even with Lectron help, they could not be salvaged.

Considering its rarity, the seller believes this car should be in a museum, part of a car collection, or owned by a racing organization where it could be on public display. Livery could be changed to reflect company logo and purpose. Seller will donate (free) the car to any of the above. For anyone choosing to install a new induction system and racing the car, sale price is $1,000.

Asking price: $1,000 (needs new induction system)
    - Will donate (for free) to a museum or other entity who would place car on public display
    Contact name: Tex Arnold
    Contact ApexSpeed user name: texarnold
    Contact/car location: 303-805-7238 - Parker, Colorado

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ApexSpeed; 01.11.21 at 11:13 AM.

The user account ApexSpeed is acting as a posting agent for the seller and is not selling any items through this website. Please do not contact this user account (ApexSpeed) for information about any listed classified. Use contact information found in ad for all correspondence. Listing accuracy and sales dealings are not the responsibility of the posting agent (ApexSpeed) or the site's owners. As with any online classified dealings, ALL responsibility lies with the seller and the buyer. Buyer beware.

Liked: 80

Default Sold

Car has been sold!
    Last edited by ApexSpeed; 01.11.21 at 12:30 PM.

The user account ApexSpeed is acting as a posting agent for the seller and is not selling any items through this website. Please do not contact this user account (ApexSpeed) for information about any listed classified. Use contact information found in ad for all correspondence. Listing accuracy and sales dealings are not the responsibility of the posting agent (ApexSpeed) or the site's owners. As with any online classified dealings, ALL responsibility lies with the seller and the buyer. Buyer beware.

Liked: 1109

Oh No... I was the original art guy on this car and just saw the ad... woulda, shoulda, coulda. :-(

Liked: 108

Default Rockies to the Ohio valley

The Van Diemen has a new home in northeast Ohio. Tex did an amazing job restoring the car and we intend to get it back on track this season I. would like to talk to anyone with suspific knowledge of these cars.
    See you out there!
    FX#51 ?
    Dontheinventor at gmail

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Chris Genone ran the sister car to this at The runoffs maybe 1981 finished 3rd I think
    He had nuclear energy group as a sponsor.
    I don't have contact info for him.
    After he left Bertill Roos think he moved to AZ.
    Was working for Jag.
    Interesting Car

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Sorry ,Chris ran the car 1984 season

8. The following members LIKED this post:

If unsure, the chassis designation of these two cars was “RV83.”

The original importer of the 1982 cars run by Bob Schader and John Barker (Performance Development & Racing) was Mike Gue of Essex Racing Services. I’m reasonably sure Gue also imported both RV83 cars as well.

It may not be known to many that Schader debuted the RV83 at Long Beach in ‘83, during the last showing of F1 at Long Beach. The car was shopped and prepped in Boulder, Colorado, and by ageless and still active Dan Campbell with a single helper, Tim Lehmann — along with two “similar” RF83s for Formula Ford.

Dillon drove the ‘82 car at Long Beach, and the second RV83 car was shipped to Bill Fickling’s P1 Racing shop and hurriedly assembled by Campbell and Lehmann. I painted, gold leafed, and lettered that second car in Fickling’s parking lot — to Bill’s constant angst for the situation in general, my fifth complete car painted for the team in a month along with a Chevy Dualie and a semi-truck trailer. All used a Martini-esque scheme but in Colorado colors, all used gold leaf and airbrushing, and the leaf on the “Gold” in “USA Gold” was a good 18” high on the trailer. I do have a single scanned slide of myself outlining the leaf on the trailer, shot by a friend.

Bob Earl drove the later, second RV83 at Long Beach — to a 6th if recollecting accurately.

I’d at first thought we delivered one of them to the Cleveland area — to the new owner after Bob Schader and Ted Dillon’s ‘83 tutelage — but now think that was one of Schader’s earlier Autoresearch Pro car. What I do recall as fact was the buyer: Ken Kangisser.

With more thought, I believe the other ‘83 car was sold to Dr. Hiro Nishioka of Wisconsin.
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.26.21 at 11:20 PM.

Liked: 553

Very cool car.

Take it to the Runoffs and win FX!
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 18

Default Hiro

Hiro Nishioka purchased this car from Bob Schader early 1984 and drove it in SCCA events during 1984 plus seasons.

Default Hiro

Found this while researching the car.

Liked: 39

Default 1983 Van Diemen Formula Super Vee, #694

Dang, I wish I had seen this sooner I like the out of the ordinary cars and have a Super Vee. I also have a really cool induction system, valve cover and sump pan all it cast aluminum that would have been perfect to use when updating the fuel system. It would be fun to have at events as I'm sure it would solicit a lot of interest while preserving some racing history.

Tom

Default Genone

Going to take one more stab at these lectrons then go from there. Is your induction system for sale? I am still trying to figure out just what chassis the car is built on. Simon at universal race parts has been very helpful and interested in the car. Hope to pick up a parts car one day once I figure out what I need.
    Thanks everyone for the info!

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

the other car was converted to FC and subsequently converted into a FF, I drove it once as a FF

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    I am still trying to figure out just what chassis the car is built on!
    I am almost positive the RV83 was built on their RF83 Formula Ford chassis.

I have a recollection of Schader mentioning this as a significant disadvantage to the car — when compared to tubbed RT5s and other competing SV chassis.

Default Disadvantage

Certainly not as sophisticated as Ralts and Ansons of the time. Bob did take a 2nd place at the 83 runoffs in the car. First looser syndrome I guess! Hiro managed a top 10 in 84. Genone had some good results as well. I think the car did pretty good considering. I really look forward to racing it again!!

Not meant as any shortage of the car per se, but to identify my belief that your RV83 originated an a FF.

I attended all Runoffs from ‘72 to ‘85 except ‘78 and ‘83. So no recollection of that, but still am in touch with Bob if needed.

He finished 2nd in ‘82 also, in a converted RF82, leading Terry McKenna early on but breaking a throttle return spring. Until then he had a real chance of beating McKenna in his RT5.

John Barker of Performance Development & Racing (RIP) prepped that ‘82 car, and another for himself he ran F-Continental with.

I mention this in case it’s of interest, and for future thread benefit, in 1982 being the only other year of *any* Van Diemen Super Vees to my knowledge.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Hi All , I am the owner of the sister car to Tex Arnold's 83 Supervee #694. My car is chassis #695 . Some time ago it was converted to a FC with a 2.0 liter Pinto engine. BTW, the rear uprights are marked VW 83 and the chassis tag says model is VW 83 and chassis #695 . I bought t from Bill Ablard in Oshkosh Wisconsin who put the engine in and got it homoligated through SCCA as a FC. Car is now in the Chicago area. Bruce Weatherston

racer60429@peoplepc.com
    Last edited by lbrtruck; 02.25.21 at 11:59 AM. Reason: more info

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Pic

Hi Bruce.
    Got a picture or two? Have you ever needed to get suspension parts for the car? Taking some measurements today to compare with info I got from universal race parts.
    I think I have a couple pictures of your car prior to the conversion.
    Don

Default #695

Love that color!

Thread Information