Liked: 7

Default 1972 Zink C4 Formula Vee - SALE PENDING

1972 Treuhaft Team car, 6th at 74 Runoffs. Raced by Trans Am privateer, Jerry Petersen. 14 years of competition in CVAR. Well-sorted:
    -Palermo national engine with six events since rebuild by Calkins Performance.
    -2nd gen nose with new paint, one-off first gen nose included.
    -Rear Carerra shocks
    -Recent front tires, fuel cell, wheel cylinders and Porterfield non-swell front shoes.
    -6 light OEM slot wheels.
    -Some spares and open trailer possible.
    -Original spares, photos and documentation.

$8999 OBO SALE PENDING

68asedan@gmail.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZsphNwEPw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nodular; 11.24.20 at 4:41 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default How tall are you?

see a huge disparity in driver /bar clearance between early and current photos. How tall are you and weight?

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    see a huge disparity in driver /bar clearance between early and current photos. How tall are you and weight?
    What I see a lot is when wedge fuel cells are installed in these older cars, The driver's seating position is way higher than what the car was designed around.

The original Zink C4 FV had 2 aluminum tanks on the out side of the frame just forward of the dash. That allowed the driver's shoulders to touch the roll bar bulkhead. When I raced one of these cars, my helmet was about even with the top of the engine cover. With an ATL wedge cell, my upper body would have to swing forward and up to clear the top of the fuel cell. I was about 6'2" tall and 220 pounds when I race the Zink FV and I fit under the standard roll bar. The Z12 FV and Z16 FF both had behind the seat fuel cells and drivers had no issues with roll bar height because the driver's shoulders touched the roll bar bulkhead.

Changing the driving position in this manner really compromises the performance of the car by raising the CG a bunch and increasing the frontal aria of the car. The roll bar structure now increases the loads on the frame where it mounts because of the much longer lever arm and thus compromises the safety provided by the rill bar.

The original fuel cells for the Zink and Citation cars were made by Don Allen but that business closed with Don's passing. In recent years, Eagle Fuel Cells has made several new cells for the Zink Z16 and 84 Citation FV. This is a behind the seat tank with the fuel filler and vents far enough to the sides that driver can sit in a car like this Zink FV or a Z16 and still fit under the original roll bar structure because his shoulders touch the roll bar bulkhead.

Liked: 301

Why not modify the original side tanks and fit custom-made cells inside? I've seen that done on several Zinks.
    That would solve both issues....1.) weight distribution & 2.) driver's position.
    Glenn

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Glenn, done. The owner driver is very tall.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...am-FV-For-Sale

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

Fellow racers claimed I was the tallest guy ever to race a Vee, which is likely true. Car was raced for many years and had at least three rollbar configurations to stay legal and safe. One pic has my 6'6" little brother in the car and he was quite a bit shorter than me. Looks like a new tall guy will be enjoying it.

Liked: 0

Default Looking forward to a Vee that fits

I have been seeking a vintage Vee for some time that can fit me at 6'4" tall. Really looking forward to this Zink as its new owner - thanks David!

Thread Information