Liked: 76

Default 60th FV celebration Race

The 60th Birthday of FV is coming in 2023 It's not too early to think about a Celebration event. We have had good events starting with the 20th in 1983 every 5 years thru the 50th. The 55th was kind of broken up by several events put on by different groups around the country. If there is to be truly unified 60th event that enjoys national support among all the various series of booth current and vintage vee it needs to get started soon. Lots of questions exist like what time of year is best, what part of the country is best, can we find a partner to make room in there schedule for at least two race groups (current nad vintage vees) . There are a lot of different Vee groups around the country and they would all need to be on board if its to be a trulme y unified event.
    If you have any ideas or comments please post them here or email me. butch_deer@mindspting.com
    butch deer

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 536

I vote for The Ridge over here in Washington. Nice new track, and it's 15 minutes from my house.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 21

As a funder of the last 3 birthday party races, and the sanctioning group for the 55th, VDCA hopes another group closer to the Midwest will organize the next one. And, we hope it gets good support, We will encourage our vintage FV drivers to attend.

Personally, I hope to be there with one or both of Harvey Templeton’s FV’s. But, what I really want is a ride in the Nardi!

Mike Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Grandwazoo View Post
    As a funder of the last 3 birthday party races, and the sanctioning group for the 55th, VDCA hopes another group closer to the Midwest will organize the next one. And, we hope it gets good support, We will encourage our vintage FV drivers to attend.

Personally, I hope to be there with one or both of Harvey Templeton’s FV’s. But, what I really want is a ride in the Nardi!

Mike Jackson
    Mike I greatly value your input. What time of year do you think would be best?
    I really do hope some one or some group steps up to organize this event.
    butch deer

Liked: 21

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    Mike I greatly value your input. What time of year do you think would be best?
    I really do hope some one or some group steps up to organize this event.
    Due to the SCCA runoffs being in the fall it would seem that Spring or Summer would be good.
    Our experience indicates it would be best to have an SCCA sanctioned event. We had trouble attracting current cars at the 55th but it is very easy for an SCCA region to include a vintage group. Both Florida regions frequently have a vintage run group in Regional races. In fact, we have one at PBIR this coming weekend.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default 50th FV event

The only reunion I attended was the 50th at Roebling Road. It was great because it was only Vees. However, towing from Connecticut even that event was a stretch on my budget. Most Formula Vee drivers are on low budgets so distance and entry fees must be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by tgaluardi View Post
    The only reunion I attended was the 50th at Roebling Road. It was great because it was only Vees. However, towing from Connecticut even that event was a stretch on my budget. Most Formula Vee drivers are on low budgets so distance and entry fees must be considered.
    Having a stand alone event is extremely expensive if you have less than 150 entries. Than it is dependent on track rental. Roebling Road has a very reasonable track rent but its location puts iot a long way from most of the country. The other consideration is if someone or some group volunteers to put on the event are they geographically close to the venue. If it is to be held at a premier track it will most likely need to be piggybacked onto an existing event for both cost and track availability reasons.
    butch deer

Liked: 202

Not involved with them any longer, but you might want to talk to Atlanta Region about doing something in conjunction with the ARRC in November. Not as central a location as others, but one of the top tracks in the country with some history. And I know they've got a LOT of flexibility about doing "special" events on Sunday, even stand-alone races.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 247

For the 55th there was talk of having it at Pittsburgh international race complex before things sort of fell apart.

Pittsburgh is a fantastic track for anyone who hasn't been to it and it produces great FV races.

The way things are right now the majority of the the active modern cars are in the central and North East. There is also a bigger vintage group within that as well. If we're looking for something central Pittsburgh would be the place.

I havent been to an FV birthday party yet but part of the allure of the event is that its an all air-cooled VW weekend. I dont think it would be very hard to get 150 cars if everything was in place far enough in advance.

And I agree with having it in the spring or summer. It can't be close to the runoffs if you want those competitors to show up as well.

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default 55th track choice

I would favor RA (VSCDA) or Mid Ohio. Length of track would enable more cars on track for feature,

FV

Thread Information