Liked: 76

Default 60th FV celebration Race

The 60th Birthday of FV is coming in 2023 It's not too early to think about a Celebration event. We have had good events starting with the 20th in 1983 every 5 years thru the 50th. The 55th was kind of broken up by several events put on by different groups around the country. If there is to be truly unified 60th event that enjoys national support among all the various series of booth current and vintage vee it needs to get started soon. Lots of questions exist like what time of year is best, what part of the country is best, can we find a partner to make room in there schedule for at least two race groups (current nad vintage vees) . There are a lot of different Vee groups around the country and they would all need to be on board if its to be a trulme y unified event.
    If you have any ideas or comments please post them here or email me. butch_deer@mindspting.com
    butch deer

2. The following 8 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Oops!

I did not scroll down so my reply is in the Vintage post!!

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    The 60th Birthday of FV is coming in 2023 It's not too early to think about a Celebration event. We have had good events starting with the 20th in 1983 every 5 years thru the 50th. The 55th was kind of broken up by several events put on by different groups around the country. If there is to be truly unified 60th event that enjoys national support among all the various series of booth current and vintage vee it needs to get started soon. Lots of questions exist like what time of year is best, what part of the country is best, can we find a partner to make room in there schedule for at least two race groups (current nad vintage vees) . There are a lot of different Vee groups around the country and they would all need to be on board if its to be a trulme y unified event.
    If you have any ideas or comments please post them here or email me. butch_deer@mindspting.com

Butch: CVAR FV would be interested in hosting an event such as this and as you know we did a 55th at Hallett with around 50 car on grid.
    Lets chat soon.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hailey's Comet View Post
    Butch: CVAR FV would be interested in hosting an event such as this and as you know we did a 55th at Hallett with around 50 car on grid.
    Lets chat soon.
    You bet. What time of years are your Hallet events?
    butch deer

Liked: 8

I would like to see it go back to Road America. Maybe the SRVA weekend in September

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by JSM16 View Post
    I would like to see it go back to Road America. Maybe the SRVA weekend in September
    The Vintage Event @ RA in September is VSCDA.

Glenn

Liked: 830

The RA event in September is too close to the Runoffs time. Hallet has an event in April, but IIRC that time of year at Hallett is generally PITIFUL WEATHER. It would be much better for all, I think, to try to put something together in Mid-May to Early June. That's the beginning of decent weather in the 'northern states' and just before it becomes too HOT in most Southern states.

I think Hallet would be a good track to shoot for, but I have no info about their scheduling situation. Mid Ohio would be another 'more central' location .. maybe Gateway? Thinking more about geo location for a focus on a SINGLE event rather than several smaller events and 'lesser used' to improve scheduling possibilities. Maybe Blackhawk?

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3

Default 60th FV Celebration Race

VSCDA holds their annual "Vintage Classic" each Father's Day Weekend at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. They may be interested in working on this event. They have experience as last year the 50th FF Celebration was on the VSCDA weekend at Road America.

Cindy

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 830

I see that the June Sprints are the FIRST weekend in June next year, so the ~middle of June could work out quite well. Sounds like a time we might want to pursue? Still a little early to predict dates for 2023, but it's a start. Hallett might also be an option at about that time of year. Don't think we (FV Anniversary) would mix in well with an SCCA Super Tour event, but the Vintage groups could probably handle us reasonably well.

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Another possibility is Pittrace. If anyone has info on which groups run there and aprox dates let us know.
    butch deer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

If Blackhawk is chosen I think you'd see a pretty big contingent from Texas. There were 10 of us (CVAR) up there the last two years in June at the Classic. So the 55th would probably bring at least 5 more.

Steve, you don't like 30mph winds with max high of 50? Sometimes snow or rain. Nothing at all to break the wind at Hallett. Been going there off and on for 40 yrs. Love the track, hate the location. The only time I see the drivers wearing their old 3 layer suits!

Liked: 87

Default FV 60th

I vote for Blackhawk for a few reasons (mostly personal) :
    The VSCDA did a great job at the FF 50th, we had three run groups and they helped organize the group photo with over 200 FF's.
    The VSCDA June event usually is on the third or fourth weekend in June and weather is nice.
    I like short tracks for Vee's.
    My kids are out of school and I can relive my childhood (camping at the race track)
    I found my Dads home built Vee called the "Raven" after being lost for over 40 years, bought it around a year ago, and in the process of restoring it....I can have it done by this event!
    Here are my obligatory Blackhawk photos from 1976 (Dad pictured with car at age 33, I would be 8 years old and was at the event but not in photo)

Mike Winebrenner and dad no longer with us (Earl Winebrenner Jr)

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 47

Default Stand alone event

What about a stand alone event with select invited groups to fill the weekend like they do at the Formula Festival?
    Run group suggestions:
    FV
    VFV
    FST
    Spec Miata
    SRF
    F500/FF/CFF
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Good to see this being talked about well in advance. I’d have to think the first order of business would be having people weigh in on what would be more appealing. Piggybacking an existing event that would allow taking place at say Road America, Mid-O, Road Atlanta, or a stand alone event with more flexibility, track time, and possibly more inclusion.

If piggybacking an event, Road America seems to be the gold standard, The FV 40th, and the FF 40th, and 50th come to mind.

But, if attempting a stand alone event, a gathering at Blackhawk or Grattan might be hard to beat.

Just my which has an actual value of far less

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3

Default 60th FV Celebration

The VSCDA Vintage Classic at Blackhawk Farms Raceway is always scheduled on Father's Day Weekend.

Cindy Lindstrand
    Event Coordinator
    Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

It occurred to me that we were thinking about organizations that currently hold races at multiple tracks. However, Hallett runs a series called COMMA and has a multiple race schedule. I'm wondering if perhaps we could partner with Hallett for the 60th at a reasonable time of the year? There are 2 years to work out a schedule with Hallett/COMMA. I don't know the average car attendance at one of their events or how many groups actually run. But Hallett has been great to work with insofar as CVAR is concerned so I would expect the same cooperation with a 60th race inclusion. Also Hallett can be run in both directions. CVAR and the SCCA Majors run CCW. If the FV race were run CW that would limit the home track advantage. Hallett is a great track with altitude changes and unique corners. Perhaps we can explore the same concept with Midwest Sports Car Club at Blackhawk? Timing may work out better than with other organizations.

Thread Information