Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 536

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Okay, just watched Arnoux vs Gilles again. Maybe we should start a list of drivers who have had the most intense dices. Arnoux may not come on the list of the greatest [could be argued. I guess] but he certainly got in some of the best RACING of anyone in a F1 car.
    anyone got a "next best" wheel to wheel dice?
    Rosberg ve Eliio? Problem with a lot of dices it they end up in the gravel, like Prost v Senna. This one was clean though

https://youtu.be/IyF30SelOI0?t=118

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Rosberg ve Eliio? Problem with a lot of dices it they end up in the gravel, like Prost v Senna. This one was clean though

https://youtu.be/IyF30SelOI0?t=118

Love the cars from that era too
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Good thing you focused on just F1.

Because in the all time- all around category it brings in some Yanks... Mario, AJ, Gurney, Donahue

F1 - I go with Sir Jackie. Points for giving back to the sport in terms of safety. Points for even living to tell about it in his period.

YMMV
    I totally agree!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Okay, just watched Arnoux vs Gilles again. Maybe we should start a list of drivers who have had the most intense dices. Arnoux may not come on the list of the greatest [could be argued. I guess] but he certainly got in some of the best RACING of anyone in a F1 car.
    Y'know, whenever I watch that I think "hmmm, looks like just another day in a Formula Ford." Sure, the stakes (and skills) were higher in F1 but racin' is racin'. Senna never lost his nostalgia for karts.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

There has never been before or since a dual that matches the Gilles vs Arnoux dual. I watched it live and was standing and cheering. I just welled up with the memory of it. I loved Gilles more but the dual was so intense I did not care who won. How they did it without touching was a miracle.

It was astonishing.

I knew at the time it was an epic battle which would stand the test of time in its intense brilliance.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 12.13.20 at 10:30 AM.

Liked: 295

There has never been before or since a dual that matches the Gilles vs Arnoux dual.&nbsp; I watched it live and was standing and cheering.&nbsp; I just welled up with the memory of it.&nbsp; I loved Gilles more but the dual was so intense I did not care who won.&nbsp; How they did it without touching was a miracle.<br><br>It was astonishing.

Liked: 1108

Default Gilles Villeneuve Died 40 Years Ago Today

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...661#post639661

Attached Images Attached Images
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Will we ever see his like again? What a racer!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks and I fear not, Jim. Hope you got to.

My small tribute is here:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...661#post639661

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

"Gilles was the one bloke who made you go and look for a corner in a practice session, because you knew that where everybody else would go through it as if on rails, Gilles would be worth watching. That day in the rain at Watkins Glen was almost beyond belief. It truly was.

You would think he had 300 horsepower more than anybody else. It just didn't seem possible. The speed he was travelling at didn't bear any relation to anybody else. He was 11 seconds faster. Jody was next fastest and couldn't believe it, saying he had scared himself rigid! I remember
    [Jacques] Laffite in the pits just giggling when Gilles went past and saying, 'Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us. On a separate level'."
    http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/6630.html

11 seconds! ELEVEN!

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    That is a great piece of the legend and thanks for sharing it, Alan. I have friends who were there, and still speak of that session in utter disbelief despite witnessing it.

I don’t have a link, but to the topic of driving “on another planet...”

Sometime in the earliest ‘80s, a doctor attached a heart monitor on several drivers. All of them had on-track heartbeats that aligned with the average sporting professional, about 150 beats per minute or more.

During practice at least, the little Canadian’s heart rate was 60 or 70.

There was an anomaly in the pits, though. I can’t quote the exact number, but Gilles’ numbers suddenly and briefly jumped to about double — when a stunning woman walked by.

Viva!
    Last edited by E1pix; 05.09.22 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Typo. Sun in eyes. Raven flew by.

Liked: 268

Default F1 drivers

What a shame that the world lost him, can you imagine had he survived what kind of a record he might have had! His brother and son were pretty spectacular too with both having unbelievable car control. Steve Jennings mentioned to me that Gilles was always on the power at least 100 feet before anyone else in the FA days!

17. The following members LIKED this post:

I’ve no problem believing that last bit, Jerry!

Yes, we were robbed early. Then again, seven spectacular years make that almost sound silly.

I had my hopes on at least one other Canadian I was lucky to spend a day with, but Dammit, we lost him, too.
    Last edited by E1pix; 05.10.22 at 12:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information