Liked: 49

Default Alternate engine options?

Just kicking tires here, has there been any development or readily available options for some newer generation 1K motors? I'm personally running the 07/08 GSXR engine like most. I'm sure the new Kawi engines produce a little more power stock, but unsure if there are options for wet sump pan and other required tid-bits to make it run in a car.

I'm personally too committed to switch over as I have a few spare 07/08 GSXR motors and various parts. Generally speaking, I think the most power any 1K motor is making is around 200. I think the old GSXR motors can do the same. Maybe when it's time to rebuilt get some Carillo rods to make it rev easier(?)

Liked: 553

Comment from someone not in the class: I've often wondered if a stock Hayabusa engine (like in P2) would be a possible option for FB. I really don't know, but wonder if a stock Hayabusa is comparable to a built, racing 1,000cc engine.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Comment from someone not in the class: I've often wondered if a stock Hayabusa engine (like in P2) would be a possible option for FB. I really don't know, but wonder if a stock Hayabusa is comparable to a built, racing 1,000cc engine.
    The P2 class requires a stock Hayabusa or a stock 1 liter (bike engines). Last month John Gyann won the Runoffs P2 race with his stock late model GSXR 1000cc engine, so it's fair to say the Busa and Gixxer are probably pretty comparable under the current rules. Cheers, Stan
    Last edited by Stan Clayton; 11.01.20 at 8:40 PM.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    The P2 class requires a stock Hayabusa or a stock 1 liter (bike engines). Last month John Gyann won the Runoffs P2 race with his stock late model GSXR 1000cc engine, so it's fair to say the Busa and Gixxer are probably pretty comparable under the current rules. Cheers, Stan
    Stan are the weights and the engine build requirements the same for the different engine sizes?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Stan are the weights and the engine build requirements the same for the different engine sizes?
    No. The build requirements are pretty similar, but inlet restrictor sizes, and minimum weights differ, and are designed to produce similar performance potentials. The motorcycle engine choices seem pretty well matched, but IMO the auto engine options appear to have a solid advantage.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Banned
    Liked: 1116

In stock forms the latest gen GSXR1000 produces more HP than the Hayabusa. the Hayabusa makes about 15% more torque but spins about 2000rpms less, so once geared for same top speeds that Torque advantage at the wheels is probably gone.

The GSXR1000 also has closer gear ratio splits.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 159

Default NAF1000 better choice than FA

If you have a formula 1000 car you should seriously consider running the North American formula 1000 championship instead of trying to compete in Formula Atlantic.

Check out the website for more details.
    NorthAmF1000.com.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information