Liked: 82

Default Servicing The Steering Rack

So on my 87 Novakar the steering rack seems like it could use servicing. See theattached photo, has anyone ever serviced this type of rack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_185620.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	94637  

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

does the rack move at the end bushes or have a lot of slop in the center?

The VARA chief of tech, Wayne, used to do racks. He might not be working anymore though.

Rick yes there is a bit off slop in the center, nothing horrendous just more than I think it should have. The car drives fine, only notice it when the car is static. I will likely have my machinist fabricator take a look at it. If need be I'll contact Wayne.

VARAs Ocktoberfest was used as a sort of test day.The motor and the suspension are getting a refresh. I should have the car out again at Spring Mtn. I expect the car to stay on the lead lap this time.

Liked: 1869

The 3 main areas of wear are:

Tthe gear teeth when the rack is centered. About the only thing you car do there is to rotate the pinion 180 degrees to put a barely used tooth into mesh when the rack is centered. It won't get rid of all of the slop, since the rack teeth are also worn, but it will help.

The second wear point are the bushes at the ends of the rack. Over time, they will wear on their ID, which then allows the rack to move up/down or fore/aft a bit before the wheels actually star to turn.

In conjunction with that, the race itself will wear over time where it contacts those bushings.

The only choice to fix those 2 problems is to have the rack turned down along its full length until the worn areas disappear, and to then install new bushings with an undersized ID that can then be bored out to match the new, undersized rack diameter.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

At this point I don't even know what brand it is. I just found the set up a bit odd in there is a box bolted to the rack. My thought was the gear is pressed onto the steering shaft an hence it might be serviceable.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I would think Jay Novak would know - have you talked to him?

As Richard says, the rack should be pretty straight forward. Not much else that can go own there.Also, Wayne Mitchell has made steering racks since the early 70's, at least. A very knowledgeable engineer and fabricator.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1869

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Grossmann View Post
    At this point I don't even know what brand it is. I just found the set up a bit odd in there is a box bolted to the rack. My thought was the gear is pressed onto the steering shaft an hence it might be serviceable.
    Can't tell from the picture, but most racks have the ability to adjust the pinion deeper into the rack to help reduce backlash, and some have an adjustable rubbing block that will push the center if the rack closer to the pinion for the same purpose.

Garey, Jay and I are emailing on a different topic at the moment (friction discs) but I will likely end up asking him if he remembers the brand of rack it is. Of course this is the 3rd car he built and that was 33 years ago so he may not remember. Hell I can't remember where I put that 12mm wrench 10 minutes ago.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

If you take the rack apart at the center you will see that the rack and pinion bits are just sightly modified commercially parts available at that time. Clearance is adjustable with feeler gage material. I would guess that after 30 plus year of use. It may be worn beyond adjustment but you never know. If you want i can rebuild it but my suggestion is to learn how to fix it. It is easy imo
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Jay as always thank you for chiming in, I appreciate it. Especially seeing as you sold the car to some other guy 33 years ago.

It's on my list of things to service; it's not horrendous but it's not as new either.

I believe the car can run with some of the older Sports 2000s at vintage events and get much closer to my friend's shifter kart at autocross.

Thanks again.

Thread Information