Liked: 28

Default Crowd source Question About Potential 600 Purchase

I am trying to find info on the Red devil Conversion that Rick Eskola had. 2002 with Yamaha motor and belt drive setup instead of chain. I am set to decide this weekend weather I grab this car from Jeremy or not. Anyone race with it and have any feedback? I can not find any conclusive on-line results with it and I am excited to trade in my 494 KBS for it, but it will be new and my time for learning the MC motor may be limited over the next year but I want to be able to attend Indy runoffs next year. If anyone can point me to a few weekends that this car ran or provide any information, that would be great.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

Quote Originally Posted by lance3556 View Post
    I am trying to find info on the Red devil Conversion that Rick Eskola had. 2002 with Yamaha motor and belt drive setup instead of chain. I am set to decide this weekend weather I grab this car from Jeremy or not. Anyone race with it and have any feedback? I can not find any conclusive on-line results with it and I am excited to trade in my 494 KBS for it, but it will be new and my time for learning the MC motor may be limited over the next year but I want to be able to attend Indy runoffs next year. If anyone can point me to a few weekends that this car ran or provide any information, that would be great.
    It's the design that needs to be looked at. If this is the car I'm thinking about the design was good. You just need reliability and then learning the shifting part which can be done on the simulator. Post some pictures and I'm sure with all of the people out there who have completed conversions we will be able to tell you what you would need to address if anything.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks Clint, I had some questions Answered about this from a someone else that helped me decide. Maybe next year I will have more opportunity to jump into the 600 MC world, this year just not enough time available for me.

Thanks Clint, I had some questions Answered about this from a someone else that helped me decide. Maybe next year I will have more opportunity to jump into the 600 MC world, this year just not enough time available for me.
    If I were you I would rent a car first. You'll have a chance to talk with guys that's changed over and get to see their perspectives on things before and after the change. You'll also get to see what's always being attended to and what's not so you can see which setup is right for you. The cockpit space and way of shifting is something to consider. Butterfly vs stick requires different things. Just a few thoughts

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    If I were you I would rent a car first.
    Sorry to blunder in, but I am all ears on this — to such an extent that people point at them.

If anyone has a competitive National car to rent for a full day or two, with its owner in attendance — and be ready for a lot of really dumb questions — and we put up a damage bond, please let me know!

Track location mostly irrelevant, we can travel. Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio would have some preference, as then a driver-mechanic-friend could come, too.

I am 5'10" and 165 lbs.

Also, if anyone is still building new chassis, once we test and commit to racing, we would be wanting one... or maybe two (for a friend, though he's not quite ready yet).

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Sorry to blunder in, but I am all ears on this — to such an extent that people point at them.

If anyone has a competitive National car to rent for a full day or two, with its owner in attendance — and be ready for a lot of really dumb questions — and we put up a damage bond, please let me know!

Track location mostly irrelevant, we can travel. Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio would have some preference, as then a driver-mechanic-friend could come, too.

I am 5'10" and 165 lbs.

Also, if anyone is still building new chassis, once we test and commit to racing, we would be wanting one... or maybe two (for a friend, though he's not quite ready yet).
    Great! You can rent the national championship winning car from the 2017,2019,and 2020 runoffs. I'm always there and usually have an answer for most questions. Tracks are limitless as long as you're willing to pay the mileage. My home track is Road Atlanta

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 896

Lance, i have not personally seen this car up close and personal but i have seen it in pics supplied by Rick and I thought it lookrd very nicely done with nice quality work.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 82

Off on a possible tangent...

Since shifting was mentioned; when I ran a DSR with a Yamaha 1000 engine I pretty much went up and down through the box without using the clutch and left foot braked. Basically the same as one would in a shifter Kart. I'm assuming this is what folks are doing in F600s?

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

^^^ Fine question... I’d be shocked if any clutches were used once on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Great! You can rent the national championship winning car from the 2017,2019,and 2020 runoffs. I'm always there and usually have an answer for most questions. Tracks are limitless as long as you're willing to pay the mileage. My home track is Road Atlanta
    My PM will he sent asap, or please PM me your contact info.

Very pleased with your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Grossmann View Post
    Off on a possible tangent...

Since shifting was mentioned; when I ran a DSR with a Yamaha 1000 engine I pretty much went up and down through the box without using the clutch and left foot braked. Basically the same as one would in a shifter Kart. I'm assuming this is what folks are doing in F600s?
    99% of the driver left foot brake and rev match for shifting

Liked: 82

I find it easier and faster to shift without the clutch, plus left foot braking makes for faster lap times.

Thanks for the input, I think track time is going to be my limiting issue next season, so to develop a car AND driver does not give me a warm fuzzy.. I see that as a roll of TP, not duct tape! I hope to get my Miata at a track day this next summer so that will help get me over the hump.

Liked: 11

Default 2008 Red Devil Yamaha R6

Thanks for the input, I think track time is going to be my limiting issue next season, so to develop a car AND driver does not give me a warm fuzzy.. I see that as a roll of TP, not duct tape! I hope to get my Miata at a track day this next summer so that will help get me over the hump.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Lance, give me a call, (715)493-2309

Rick Eskola

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    My PM will he sent asap, or please PM me your contact info.
    PM sent.

Thread Information