Thread: 2013 engine

Liked: 5

Default 2013 engine

Confused about using the up to 2013 engine - rule. If the newer engines are the same 2011 to 2020 can you use a 2015?

Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 896

Good question!,!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Vulnavia View Post
    Confused about using the up to 2013 engine - rule. If the newer engines are the same 2011 to 2020 can you use a 2015?

Thanks,
    Will
    you can run up to 2019 model years for the Suzuki. All others are currently as written.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Vulnavia View Post

Thanks,
    Will

What 600 bike engine has remained unchanged from 2011 to 2105, much less 2020?

If the engine IS the same from 2013 and 2015, then it's a 2013, is it not?

Liked: 57

I only have experience with the Suzuki, and they used to use a 2 year cycle (I run the 06/07 series) but it does look like the 2011-2020 is the same.
    Last edited by GBugg; 10.21.20 at 9:15 AM.
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GBugg View Post
    I only have experience with the Suzuki, and they used to use a 2 year cycle (I run the 06/07 series) but it does look like the 2011-2020 is the same.
    Interesting. Marketing materials show a HP creep between the '11 and the '19 and a slight CR change. However looking at p/n of valves, cams, valve springs, pistons, rings, rods, cyl heads, they're the same from 11-19. Even trans ratios are all the same. The throttle bodies and ECU's have 3 different part numbers over those years but all show that they apply to all model years. Don't know if that's a CA vs. Federal emission vs. EU market thing.

Liked: 10

Generally the 600 Supersports don't change THAT much, Honda being notoriously the company that makes the least amount of changes of the 3 which is why recently they find themselves lacking when years back they were on top.

As discussed on the Facebook group. I understand why they only changed the Suzuki to 19 (because most likely whoever wrote the letter only mentioned Suzuki and the board probably didn't bother looking into anything besides what was mentioned in the letter)

Whats ironic is, at least for Honda 13 was in fact the year they had their significant changes which haven't changed since.

I'm sure simply sending another letter in would have them fix the rules to all 3 engines bumped up to 19.

That being said hopefully the results of this year's runoffs might finally easy peoples minds that the carbed engines can still be competitive with the MC engines. At least to some degree.

Liked: 72

I wrote in for the rule change because the suzuki motors are the same from 2011-2020. I asked for 2011-2019 because I didn't know if any revisions would be put in place before 2020 was over. Even though the HP numbers show different in the magazines nothing has changed on the motors and ecu other than improved emissions stuff. If you want to do the research to prove the other MC motors are all the same from 2011-2019 I'm sure the CRB would pass it as well. I just have numerous customer cars with the 2011-2019 motors in them and didn't want them to be restricted to only being able to buy 2011-2013 motors.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I wrote in for the rule change because the suzuki motors are the same from 2011-2020. I asked for 2011-2019 because I didn't know if any revisions would be put in place before 2020 was over. Even though the HP numbers show different in the magazines nothing has changed on the motors and ecu other than improved emissions stuff. If you want to do the research to prove the other MC motors are all the same from 2011-2019 I'm sure the CRB would pass it as well. I just have numerous customer cars with the 2011-2019 motors in them and didn't want them to be restricted to only being able to buy 2011-2013 motors.
    That was exactly my point. I hope it didn't come across negative. All it takes is another letter. Its fully understandable why there was only a focus on the suzuki. It is by far the most common.

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Interesting. Marketing materials show a HP creep between the '11 and the '19 and a slight CR change. However looking at p/n of valves, cams, valve springs, pistons, rings, rods, cyl heads, they're the same from 11-19. Even trans ratios are all the same. The throttle bodies and ECU's have 3 different part numbers over those years but all show that they apply to all model years. Don't know if that's a CA vs. Federal emission vs. EU market thing.

if your using the wiki/google comparison page to draw you info you have to read the side notes as to where they got there info. Never the same place twice and usually always EU or JP numbers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allof6 View Post
    if your using the wiki/google comparison page to draw you info you have to read the side notes as to where they got there info. Never the same place twice and usually always EU or JP numbers.
    Partzilla for p/n comparisons. Suzuki and CycleWorld for HP claims.

Partzilla for p/n comparisons. Suzuki and CycleWorld for HP claims.
    When you see the horsepower numbers on the dyno then you can believe them. Every magazine is going to be different from one another and every manufacturer will always boast the highest horsepower numbers for sales purposes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    When you see the horsepower numbers on the dyno then you can believe them.

Every magazine is going to be different from one another and every manufacturer will always boast the highest horsepower numbers for sales purposes.
    I get your point. However, every manufacturer doesn't boast the highest horsepower number, otherwise we'd be approaching infinity by now with all the ads released in the last 100 years.

I trusted the magazine numbers I saw with each bike relative to each other, because they came off the magazines' dyno, they also published just how "optimistic" the factory tachometers read. Those optimistic tachs probably sell more bikes than the dyno numbers when bench racing at the watering hole. I know Yamaha had some legal issues over their tachs, Ford has had legal issues over MPG figures, Hyundai, Kia and Shop-Vac over horsepower claims. Until some group like Consumer Reports decides to have a HP shootout everybody (including engine builders/tuners/racers/rules makers) has a vested interest in the outcome.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

I get your point. However, every manufacturer doesn't boast the highest horsepower number, otherwise we'd be approaching infinity by now with all the ads released in the last 100 years.

I trusted the magazine numbers I saw with each bike relative to each other, because they came off the magazines' dyno, they also published just how "optimistic" the factory tachometers read. Those optimistic tachs probably sell more bikes than the dyno numbers when bench racing at the watering hole. I know Yamaha had some legal issues over their tachs, Ford has had legal issues over MPG figures, Hyundai, Kia and Shop-Vac over horsepower claims. Until some group like Consumer Reports decides to have a HP shootout everybody (including engine builders/tuners/racers/rules makers) has a vested interest in the outcome.
    Was this vested interest stuff? Are they sellìng suits?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

I'm glad you read magazines. Next time you pick a few up please post the differences in HP from magazine to magazine on the same year model bikes.

Thread Information